PDA

View Full Version : Information Centre

MattB
Sunday 24th April 2005, 18:30
Hello,

I've just been flicking thru eBays Volvo pages and its kinda got me thinking...
(uh-oh, I hear you cry!)

Other than changing the main display clock and installing the relevant switch, does anybody know what else is required to get the info centre up and running - ie sensors etc?

I used to have a GLT - now only have an S model (but hey, its a T5!) and miss the info centre somewhat.

:B_blite:

Tomcat
Sunday 24th April 2005, 20:19
All you need is the computer itself, the switch, the short link wire to connect the two together and the outside temp sensor. Its an easy job to do only took me a few hours.

MattB
Sunday 24th April 2005, 20:31
All you need is the computer itself, the switch, the short link wire to connect the two together and the outside temp sensor. Its an easy job to do only took me a few hours.

Sounds good...
i assume that when you say computer, you refer to the dash clock unit?
behind the blanking plate for the info switch is a wiring loom - could this be the link wire?
when connected, do the other functions work, ie mpg, miles left in tank etc?

:confused:

MattB
Monday 25th April 2005, 13:37
Also, were you able to find a set of clocks with similar mileage as your car, or were you able to 'get around' this???

TedBovis
Tuesday 21st June 2005, 09:32
MattB did you ever get anywhere with this? I've not got the computer on my T5 and am just interested if its an easy job? what sort of price are the computers? and what the heck does it look like, any pics of the loom/connectors or the computer itself?

MattB
Tuesday 21st June 2005, 10:30
MattB did you ever get anywhere with this? I've not got the computer on my T5 and am just interested if its an easy job? what sort of price are the computers? and what the heck does it look like, any pics of the loom/connectors or the computer itself?

Not yet Ted, still on the look-out for the parts. I do know that you can simply swap the clock units over within the dial unit, so mileage of the donor clocks is not an issue. I'll let you know how I get on once the parts have been sourced....

mraldonnelly
Tuesday 21st June 2005, 11:01
My old 854 T5 S didn't have a trip comp either. However, it did have the wiring in place from the blank switch to the dash.

All you need to do is obtain the LCD insert (you don't need the whole instrument cluster) and replace your existing clock with this.

If you already have an outside temp display then you don't need the sensor. If you don't have the temp display then you'll need the sensor too.

The back of the LCD display has a socket where the loom from the switch just plugs in.

VOILA! All should be working.

I thought my 1999 V70 would be the same but alas I have discovered that the LCD panel cannot be separated from the main instrument cluster.

When I disconnected the dash clocks and then reconnected them, the LCD display showed up with all the MPG bit etc.

The wiring is in place from my dash to the cluster but I have no switch. However, I doubt it's simply a case of connecting the switch. I reckon it'll involvo a software download from Volvo : ( .

The 850's are cheap and easy to do though.

Regards

Andy

MattB
Saturday 25th June 2005, 23:35
My old 854 T5 S didn't have a trip comp either. However, it did have the wiring in place from the blank switch to the dash.

Are you sure this wasn't for the TRACS - mine has wiring too - but is attached to the TRACS blanking plate (has a grey plug), but could be attached to the wrong blanking plate - i guess? (had the dash top of to replace a few bulbs today, but could not find the other end to this wiring, so assumed it is for the TRACS)

All you need to do is obtain the LCD insert (you don't need the whole instrument cluster) and replace your existing clock with this.

I'm on the lookout for one of these as we speak....

If you already have an outside temp display then you don't need the sensor. If you don't have the temp display then you'll need the sensor too. and this...

The back of the LCD display has a socket where the loom from the switch just plugs in.looking for one of these too.... lol.

Many thanks for the info andy - a great help...

TedBovis
Monday 27th June 2005, 14:58
Nice, be sure you post some more info and a piccy or two when you find the parts....still interested..

mraldonnelly
Friday 1st July 2005, 11:53
Matt,

IIRC, the trip comp wiring on the 850 is round the back of the clocks. On the x70 it's at the top of the clocks.

It was definately for the trip comp though. It should have five or six wires in. I would have thought the tracs would be incorporated in the ABS wiring.

Regards

Andy

MattB
Monday 18th July 2005, 17:13
Have just installed the info centre!

Stumbled accross an 850 in the breakers yard that had almost all of the parts necessary:

1/. Dashboard Switch
2/. Wiring Loom
3/. Replacement Clock Unit

I still have to source an outside temperature sensor (all functions work apart from outside temp) - unfortuantely the donor car's engine and majority of the front end had already been removed.

Job was fairly easy to do. I have removed the top part of the dashboard on numerous occassions now, so this was not any bother. Took a while to do on my first attempt tho - lots of screws! (you also need patience too!).

So - 30 mins to remove dash, 20-30 mins to remove dash clocks, install loom and transplant clocks, 30 mins to put dash back.:B_thumb:

If I can, I will try and post some pics to help you Ted.

:)