PDA

View Full Version : Boost leak and probably more!

chrisRSVR
Thursday 21st August 2008, 17:22
Hi all, As this is my first T5 i was umaware of any problems i might of had with the performance of my car. Yes i thought it was quick but nothin special, i did think that the boost preasure was a bit low as it only ever boosted to 9psi on very hard exceleration and didnt spool at all until after 3500, but like i said i just thought that was normal. Until yesterday when i received what can only be described as a reality check when i was out accelerated and then pulled away from by a fiesta ST. So today i went to my brothers mates garage to get it checked for a boost leak, only to find that when he pressurised the system it basicaly all came straight back out again He only had time to check for leaks but pointed out a few other things i should check, at this point i should say my mechanical knowledge of cars is basical nil, bikes i can do but cars and turbos im lost. He pointed out a hose coming from the engine that had been cut into and the DV teed into it, he didnt know why and what for, or even where the pipe went, but he did say that it might be causing one of the problems. He also said that it sor some reason might still have the origional recirc fitted wich could also cause problems. He can only have another look at it mid september and i really want to beable to check a few things out before then as it has now got me a bit worried! This is where you nice people come in. i have taken a picture of said pipe and would apriciate any info you might have and any ideas you may have as to my problem. if you have read all this dribble i salute you and look forward to any response.

cheers
chris
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t302/simmojr/DSC00762-1.jpg

PNuT
Thursday 21st August 2008, 19:34
me7 cars & dump valves dont usually mix..... to be honest you would probably be better losing that & keeping the recuirc valve

were does the white vacuum pipe go to?

chrisRSVR
Thursday 21st August 2008, 20:50
TBA im not sure, but i think its the boost gauge?

stainesy
Thursday 21st August 2008, 20:51
looks to me like the person who fitted the dump valve couldnt be bothered to loose the recirc valve and blank off the hole and instead has put a t bit in the pipe coming from your manifold to the recirc meaning that you have the recirc and dump valve working at same time..
may have been as the recirc may have a buggered diaphram and instead of replacing they have asumed its stuck shut and stuck a dv on to replace it.
if the recirc buggered it may be stuck open and you would be loosing boost from there.
this happened to me when i bought my car.
instead of getting a new recirce i just got rid of it and blacked the hole off with a forge blanking plate and fitted a dv.
if this is the case you already have a dv fitted so you just need to take off the recirc and put a blanking plate in its place.

your dump valve cant be very loud then if you have the recirc on aswell?
your dv will be alot louder without the recirc

havnt got a clue why there is white pipe coming off the dv pipe tho.

where does that go?

jonno12
Thursday 21st August 2008, 20:53
its in the wrong place

stainesy
Thursday 21st August 2008, 21:00
this is where my dump valve is.

my dv
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/stainesy1978/Photo-0042.jpg

chrisRSVR
Thursday 21st August 2008, 21:02
its in the wrong place

What is bud?

jonno12
Thursday 21st August 2008, 21:03
who fitted it?

mexybhouy
Thursday 21st August 2008, 21:04
it should be on the pipe where your T branch (white pipe) sits above !!

stainesy
Thursday 21st August 2008, 21:06
look at the pic i just put on here further up the page thats where it should be. the dv we mean

jonno12
Thursday 21st August 2008, 21:06
What is bud?

the valve islook cant u see

chrisRSVR
Thursday 21st August 2008, 21:07
it was on when i bought the car!

jonno12
Thursday 21st August 2008, 21:08
take it off n re new the pipes

chrisRSVR
Thursday 21st August 2008, 21:08
OH YES! it take it it doesnt differ from the 850 to the v70! I think i should stick to bikes!

stainesy
Thursday 21st August 2008, 21:09
do you get a boost dump valve sound when you lift off the gas when in boost?

chrisRSVR
Thursday 21st August 2008, 21:12
Yeah but only a very high revs and then its weak to say the least, i get no reading of any boost until after at least 3 1/2 - 4000.

stainesy
Thursday 21st August 2008, 21:18
if you cant find any holes or boost pipes that have popped out in the system then you probly have a recirc that may be stuck open. you already have a dump valve fitted so you need to put it in the right place and have a pipe coming from the top of the dv to your manifold, remove the recirc and fit a blanking plate to where is was.

here is a link to where you get a blanking plate from

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=blanking+plate&osCsid=1e68a3ecdf7f5a4e9d4b972cee298dd7&checkbutton=Go

chrisRSVR
Thursday 21st August 2008, 21:33
Thanks stainesy, and everyone else!
Looks like i will be moving the DV and investigating the resirc to see whats what.

Last question, just to show my total lake of knowledge, is it imperative i move the DV? is it in the totaly wrong place?

Thanks again guys for all your coments and shared knowledge.

mexybhouy
Thursday 21st August 2008, 21:39
PROBABLY still got reciculating valve still conected as this would explain low dump valve volume!

irf
Thursday 21st August 2008, 21:42
PNut had it in the first post. you havn't got a throttle cable which in a round about way basically means a dump valve is a no no.

although yor problem could be something else, the very first thing(IMHO) would be to get rid of the dump valve and then see how the car behaves.

stainesy
Thursday 21st August 2008, 21:51
havn't got a throttle cable????
how come?

chrisRSVR
Thursday 21st August 2008, 22:04
Because its eletronicaly controled or fly bywire i think? i know nothing mind so might be way way wrong!

stainesy
Thursday 21st August 2008, 22:06
didnt no that. mine is cable. well i dont no anything bout no throttle cable so dont no how that works but if it aint that its your recirc as i said before mate i recon.

chrisRSVR
Thursday 21st August 2008, 22:15
im gonna check tomorrow if i can find where it is located, and if the original resirc is still there i will order a blanking plate from the link you put up, cheers again bud.

PNuT
Friday 22nd August 2008, 05:03
im gonna check tomorrow if i can find where it is located, and if the original resirc is still there i will order a blanking plate from the link you put up, cheers again bud.

i would be quite careful how you proceed & make a few checks! i would get fault codes checked before you go to far as your car may have gone into safe mode due to losing metered air via the dump valve

does your engine management light apear with the ignition on?

i would be interested to find out the differences of dump valve location.... pre or post intercooler! both should dump the boost....

stainesy
Friday 22nd August 2008, 06:59
this is the recirc. 3 tricky little bolts hold it on.
simple job but a bugger to get to LOL

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/stainesy1978/Photo-00196.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/stainesy1978/Photo-00234.jpg

chrisRSVR
Friday 22nd August 2008, 10:58
There are no lights on when the engine is running but there are lights when just the ignition is on, ill heck and get back to you on the engine managment light.
cheers bud.

Thanks for the pics stainesy, saved me a lot of searching.

chrisRSVR
Friday 22nd August 2008, 11:27
The engine managment light is on when the igition is on but goes off again on start up!
also the origional recirc is still fitted and running with the DV, so i will have to check the codes and if all is well i will locate the boost leak and fit the blanking plate! at least thats what i think i should do, if i understood your advice!

PNuT
Friday 22nd August 2008, 12:37
The engine managment light is on when the igition is on but goes off again on start up!
also the origional recirc is still fitted and running with the DV, so i will have to check the codes and if all is well i will locate the boost leak and fit the blanking plate! at least thats what i think i should do, if i understood your advice!

ok, at least the light is working.....

on my car sometimes i can get hidden codes & it will knock the boost right back, to protect the engine....

the bit im alittle unsure about on ME7 cars is they have a map sensor i believe so should increase boost via the BCS if its not boosting as it should....to bring it up to the required boost level!

so if its not boosting as it should the ecu should know this & log a fault????

PNuT
Friday 22nd August 2008, 12:39
this is the recirc. 3 tricky little bolts hold it on.
simple job but a bugger to get to LOL

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/stainesy1978/Photo-00196.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/stainesy1978/Photo-00234.jpg

the top jubilee clip on your fotos look like its on the piss!

stainesy
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 01:17
yeah i no ithat was ages ago when i got the car.
i have nice yellow boost pipe there now.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/stainesy1978/Photo-0042.jpg

tomtyres
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 14:49
Every time i've removed any original recirc valve from a turbo, it has always had a hole in it!
I must have seen 5-6 turbos now and all the diaphrams have had a small split.
Rip the recirc off and make a blank out of 5mm plate (pref alu) and slap that on with a small slither of instant gasket thrown on!
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k157/tomtyres/volv001.jpg
It works a treat and saves buying / waiting for a mail order jobbie!
As for the placement of the new D/V, it makes little difference which boost pipe it's on, but beware of cheap dumpvalves with weak springs in, as they can't cope with the boost and let-by under load!

jonno12
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 14:57
as above i was going to fit one on mine i got off a fiat uno turbo as the fitting code was the same but thought against it mines a bit easier thatn yours as engine is slightly different but debating wiether to do it or not now

gtiteen
Sunday 24th August 2008, 12:14
On an ME7 car you dont want a d/v

I reckon rip both the d/v and the recirc out, order a new recirc and have it fitted properly. That way if its either causing the problem theyre both sorted.

Dave

stainesy
Monday 25th August 2008, 18:58
On an ME7 car you dont want a d/v

I reckon rip both the d/v and the recirc out, order a new recirc and have it fitted properly. That way if its either causing the problem theyre both sorted.

Dave

yep if you have the money then that is a good i dea also.
as iv said before i dont have a clue about this hole no throttle cabble thing so my gudgments are made purely on what i no about my own car having a throttle cable

PNuT
Monday 25th August 2008, 19:11
yep if you have the money then that is a good i dea also.
as iv said before i dont have a clue about this hole no throttle cabble thing so my gudgments are made purely on what i no about my own car having a throttle cable

ok... ME7 knows when air that has passed the mass air flow sensor (just after the airbox) goes missing from the system.....

motronic 4.3 & 4.4 that our cars are fitted with hasnt the ability to notice this kind of loss....

when an ME7 system notices a problem it will cut boost to protect the engine....

stainesy
Wednesday 27th August 2008, 17:09
ok... ME7 knows when air that has passed the mass air flow sensor (just after the airbox) goes missing from the system.....

motronic 4.3 & 4.4 that our cars are fitted with hasnt the ability to notice this kind of loss....

when an ME7 system notices a problem it will cut boost to protect the engine....

oh right so whats the benafit of this?

PNuT
Wednesday 27th August 2008, 19:06
oh right so whats the benafit of this?

when something goes wrong you are less lightly to end up with a melted engine.....

stainesy
Wednesday 27th August 2008, 20:15
ok im kinda with you so instead of a throttle cable what does it have?

PNuT
Wednesday 27th August 2008, 20:53
http://www.wothrline.se/Cars_engine/ME7x_ME9/M7x_index.htm