PDA

View Full Version : T5 first time buyer....Help!!!

soopersuds
Sunday 24th April 2005, 18:16
Hi all!!, hoping you can help, im just getting drawn in to the attraction of the T5 especially the 850, however i have no idea what makes a good buy, what i need to look out for etc. im looking to get a mid 90's plate with 120-150K miles on the clock. any info would be a great advantage!!

also if there is a good insurance companies for T5's

Thanks for all your help in advance and i hope to be getting stuck into a T5 in some format very soon!!

Cheers

Soopersuds (Andy D)

TangoDeltaSierra3
Sunday 24th April 2005, 18:30
It might help if we knew your budget and where you are too and your age regarding insurance issues. I'm off to the police auctions in Leeds tomorrow and can tell you for £3000 you could be in line for a W, X, reg S70. Mainly V70s are hitting the auctions now though, if you looking cheaper than that there are a few ex police S70s about on here & ebay regularly, from £1700 up.
If you aint intrested in ex police at all check the autotrader site, if you see any you like post the link up on here and i'm sure someone will advise you on a particular car.

soopersuds
Sunday 24th April 2005, 18:48
Cheers, TangoDeltaSierra3! i am 27 with 6 points for speeding, and about £3k is about the right price although i do like the 850 shape!! however im based just outside Swindon, so Leeds is a bit if a mission for me!! any info is useful though!!

Soopersuds

TangoDeltaSierra3
Sunday 24th April 2005, 20:15
You could try West Oxford motor Auctions, i bought my 1st V70 from there. They have a police sale on Thursday evenings.

www.woma.co.uk

taha22464
Sunday 24th April 2005, 21:02
paid 2200 for my 94 854 t5 ,one owner 86000 fsh ,260 f/c from norwich union ,good luck with your search,jel.
________
LovelyWendie (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

vt5
Sunday 24th April 2005, 23:42
Check roof panel for drilled holes (ex police)
Groan on take up of drive, either engine top mount (cheap fix) clutch (£250 +)
Major oil leak at rear of the engine = crank rear oil seal (£150 ish fitted)
Turbo guage registers at less than half way in the white on full throttle = losing boost (could be something of nothing, but if white smoking also could be turbo knackered or head gasket (moderate to expensive)
Turn ignition on, check for orange lambda light in the bottom right hand side of the instrument panel, if it doesnt come on at all, the bulb has been taken out cos of an engine fault (engine will sound usually fine though) if it comes on and goes out, this is normal
If ABS light doesnt go out once driving = ABS module (expensive)

Genrally buy a clean one with circa 100K on the clock, an 850 at your budget should be easy if you dont mind a saloon. FSH is not essential but make sure its been looked after o.k., receipts if possible. Travel for a good one if necessary. There is one in manchester 850 T5 saloon with 54K on the clock, apparently genuine within your budget.

Before you go and see one, post a thread "help wanted for viewing" and someone is bound to live close by to do an inspection for you.

Volvo owners insurance are competitive and good. details on line or through a dealer.

Most T5's are good ones except the really cheap ones at less than 2K

Happy hunting and dont forget to ask for help. :)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 25th April 2005, 00:14
personally I feel the risks of buying ex-police outstrip the lower outlay, especially if you are not sure what to look for. The interior is bog standard on ex-police and will have loads of holes. You end up paying out more than you bargained for putting them right. 9/10 will be absolutely buggered. It is too much of a risk. By all means go and pick up a T5 from an auction but make sure there are NOT ex-police. I am not casting apsersions on those on here who have them, just saying - NOOBS BEWARE!!

You can pick up good quality spec (look for the CD or GLT spec) 850 T5's for about 3.5K. that are just around the 100K mark. FSH/receipt history is important - (another lottery with XPC)

If you have the budget consider the Limited Edition models. "R" is to Volvo what "M" is to BMers. There are a few models worth looking for.
1995-96 850 T5-R - limited edition 17" 5 spoke alloys/interior, lower and faster than a stock T5
There are a couple on Ebay at the mo.
1996-97 850R - limited edition 17" 7 spoke alloys/interior etc.
V70R - budget 6K plus for these (I just thought they were worth a mention)

Keep an eye on our for sale section. People often feature car's that look interesting (not necessarily there own)

Enjoy the forum :wavey:

siamblue
Monday 25th April 2005, 02:37
First off i would get a quote for insurance,with you being young and 6 points,You might be in for a shock,
On high mileage version post 140k,Make sure the clutch has been replaced and the gearbox refurbed or replaced,The manuals and clutches seem to go around 140kCheck the normal things like discs pads,and tyres,Also study the history of the car,These aren't cheap cars to run,When they go wrong you could be looking at 000s sometimes over £1000,
Do a test on the compression too,
Best to try and get a standard 100k version IMHO.

soopersuds
Monday 25th April 2005, 18:16
i have had a quote from my insurance company and they have said £620, which i think is ok, considering i am paying around £550 for my x plate megane coupe. There is no immediate rush to find one i have around 3 months or so. I will keep looking any asking for advise as i find potential purchases!!

TangoDeltaSierra3
Monday 25th April 2005, 23:11
Hi Sudsy, there was a nice V70 at the auctions in Leeds today would have done you proud, was an S reg, 140k, ex West Yorks cop but it looked as though it was ex training school, ie no roof holes or interior damage.
It started off at £1000 but finally ended at £2500 minus indemnity so it would have ended up a dear motor for me to sell on. Incidentally there was another 52 reg, 03 yr ex Northern Constabulary car in which fetched £5800, exactly the same as its sister car last month., on 17s too, looked nice with 106k on clock. A 51 reg fetched £3500 ish.