PDA

View Full Version : Engine Management System malfunction

the_boy
Sunday 24th April 2005, 17:25
Drove over to my gran's today (haven't driven the car for a couple of days) and noticed that it was really struggling for power. I'd get it above 3000 revs and the thing would lurch and lose power. At one point going down a hill I put my foot to the floor in fourth and it wouldn't go past 80mph.....

Managed to make it there and left it for a while but when I started the drive back it was doing the same thing. Except now at 3000 revs it was sort of making a hissing / screeching noice. Then the EMS light came on :( and stayed on for the duration of the journey home.

I've got a feeling this is going to get expensive as I don't know anywhere else locally that can read the Volvo ECU except Mill Garges in Sunderland :(

Can anyone offers any suggestion as to what it may be?

andi t5
Sunday 24th April 2005, 19:16
sounds like a pipe has split on the induction side have a good look around ,if your cars after 96 you can buy a obd2 reader off e bay for around twenty five quid inc shipping and read the codes yourself

the_boy
Sunday 24th April 2005, 19:52
Just had a look around it can't see any splits but then I'm not sure if I'm looking in the right area.

I did hear someone mention that it could be the electronic throttle control but I thought this was after 1998 which is my car's year :crazy:

markt4
Sunday 24th April 2005, 20:23
theres a garage in southwick ...scotts bank motors i think...use to be a volvo mechanic...he will sort ya out....had mine there hes a top bloke

the_boy
Sunday 24th April 2005, 22:45
Nice one Mark :cool:

I'll give them a bell tomorrow and fingers crossed get it sorted.

the_boy
Monday 25th April 2005, 14:38
Taken it down there and he can't get a reading from the ECU **groan** so I've left it with him.

Just read a comment about MAF failures that can cause lack of power. Anyone know what the symptoms of this would be? The car is spluttering on idle and can sometimes stall, revs vary from 500 to 1000 and there seems to be no turbo as the car doesn't reach 3000 revs.

Can anyone please offer any advice?
Thanks

sizzlechest
Monday 25th April 2005, 21:26
Try disconnecting the MAF and driving as normal. If the same symptoms persist it would indicate a MAF problem.

bigndaft
Tuesday 26th April 2005, 14:27
The same thing happened to me, the aa man plugged in and said it read with no code, he suspected his software was for 2000 onwards. took it to independant volvo place in Stockport and they had it read for £35 (the volvo stealer wanted £100) it pointed to the MAF sensor just after the air filter. they tightened it because they said it was loose!....they recomended taking my cone filter off and refit the standard air box, no problems since :)

the_boy
Wednesday 27th April 2005, 16:14
Yeah I think he must have sussed it out as he managed to get the last 3 codes....

Problem was traced to a split turbo inlet pipe under the engine. It had also detached itself. Fixed for the princely sum of £20

Quite relieved actually.

Thanks for the comments :)

meffs
Wednesday 27th April 2005, 16:28
The same thing happened to me, the aa man plugged in and said it read with no code, he suspected his software was for 2000 onwards. took it to independant volvo place in Stockport and they had it read for £35 (the volvo stealer wanted £100) it pointed to the MAF sensor just after the air filter. they tightened it because they said it was loose!....they recomended taking my cone filter off and refit the standard air box, no problems since :)Hi Bigndaft,

Where abouts in Stockport is the independant Volvo Place? May pay it a visit the next time I visit the wrinklies. Where abouts in Manchester are you?

Cheers.

bigndaft
Thursday 28th April 2005, 16:01
Hi meffs, see this link;
http://www.google.co.uk/local?hl=en&lr=&cr=countryUK|countryGB&q=hallmark+volvo&near=Stockport&sa=X&oi=locald&radius=0.0&latlng=53408488,-2149293,4841915788498893687
or if that don't work, its Hallmark Volvo, canal wharf,wharf street. 0161 4290008. They were very helpfull. :B_steerin

meffs
Thursday 28th April 2005, 18:35
Cheers mate. Know exactly where it is! where are you, Stockport or Manchester?