PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Load Rating

richiemat
Wednesday 20th August 2008, 15:01
I had the annoyance of having to buy a new tyre two weeks ago, on a Saturday afternoon where there are limited places open and even more limit on those who had a 215*45*17 in stock. Anyway found one and had it fitted. The tyre which went flat was a 91W and they replaced it with a 87Y (after saying they would fit a 91W!)

I rang their customer service line last Monday and today finally they rung me back saying that if i wanted they could fit a 91W to match the other 3 tyres. I just wondered is the difference in specification significant enough to worry about? The tyre shop seemed unable to confirm either way but they are willing to change it over FOC....???

Perhaps this is a non issue but thought i would get any thoughts....

Cheers

princepugh
Wednesday 20th August 2008, 15:36
A Phase 2 V70 weighs about 1530KG I beleive so thats 382.5 KG per wheel, assuming even distribution (probably not a safe assumption). The 87 rating is for 545 KG, whereas 91 is 615 KG. We weight about 80KG each so in theory you could be pushing the 87 tyre if you were loaded with passengers and luggage, or were partial to the odd burger :-)

[For info, mine are 94Y]

richiemat
Wednesday 20th August 2008, 22:05
Thats very useful, thanks.

I'm going to get it swapped over not because im partial to a burger but because it gets loaded up regularly and i would prefer them to all be the same :)

chewy
Wednesday 20th August 2008, 22:12
You need to think about insurance too, if one tyre wasn't to spec they might not pay out if you had a bump, depends how piccy your company wants to be?