PDA

View Full Version : Calipers?????????

stainesy
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 19:04
i have a rubbing sound coming from one or my rear calipers think it may be seazed. are all 850 rear calipers the same or do i need one to fit a T5? mine is the t-5R.

t5 stealth
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 19:10
r u sure its the calipers,they dont usually make a noise,
probly the handbrake shoes inside the drum/disc.
or pads worn out touching metal.
i just changed my handbrake shoes this weekend as 3 out of 4 linings had fallen off,they been makin noises & feeling strange for a while,i knew what it was but typical mechanic,my own car gets looked at last lol.

stainesy
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 19:31
shoes? i got disc brakes at the rear. thought the rear brakes and the hand brake used the same calipers? ever since i had the car i have had a metal to metal sound from the rear or the car when its cold and did a diognostic test and it came back with caliper fault code so im guessing theres sumit rong with one of my rear calipers.
are all 850 rear calipers the same?

Alan M
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 19:38
The rears use both calliper and drum. The drum is inside the disc and is for the parking brake only. The calipers are pretty robust and are two piston types and are found on other models but I am not sure what ones.

stainesy
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 19:46
yeah just read my haynes manual didnt no there was a drum brake under the discs for the handbrake.
mite be that.
i have a metal rubbing sound when i first drive the car in the morning. and once i pulled the handbrake i little bit wile moving to see if it stopped and there was a bang like id broken sumit. when i aplie my handbrake on a hill the car does move abit then stop so im thinking my handbrake may be buggered and its the fact i put the car in park that stops it rolling not the handbrake

t5 stealth
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 20:16
when u apply the h/brake the car will move slightly....that is normal.
dont apply the h/brake while moving cos the brake works by wedgeing itself against the drum so it will make a large bang lol.

carl granger
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 20:30
I must be the only person with an auto that never uses the handbrake by the looks of it, I have what seems to be warped disc's on the rear as get the train noise as I go down the road.

stainesy
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 20:33
I must be the only person with an auto that never uses the handbrake by the looks of it, I have what seems to be warped disc's on the rear as get the train noise as I go down the road.

yeah thats the sound i seeem to get LOL thats exactly the sound.

carl granger
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 20:39
Put it down to warped disc's, When I got my car it'd been stood for 4 months, so when I get round to it I'll change all the braking system.

Al115
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 21:21
Might be the good old "handbrake shoes broken up inside the drum" gig again... :)

If you need a cheap pair of rear calipers when you've done your diagnosis, give me a shout as I've got a newish pair sitting here unloved.

flyinglemur
Monday 15th September 2008, 22:58
I too am subject to the swishing handbrake shoe noise. I think a clip has come loose/broken off while I was changing the discs and pads. Not serious, will go in and root it out some other time

L