PDA

View Full Version : Clutch/gearchange issue

Baj
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 17:20
When starting the car it doesnt want to go into reverse and is a bit moody about the others unless it gets some wiggling.
Once I set off, there are no issues at all. Gearchanges are smooth, no slipping of the clutch/grinding etc.

Its approaching 120k so some could argue the clutch is on its way out but my dad is on 140 on his with the original.

I thought it might be low on hydrolic fluid but a quick look seems to indicate a cable.

Is it adjustable?

dave stew
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 19:54
I don't think it can be adjusted, as its hydraulic. Mine's a high motorway mile muncher and has just turned 140k. The gear cahnge is getting slightly 'snickier' and I think the clutch will need doing. 120k isn't a bad mileage either.

pangster
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 20:03
When starting the car it doesnt want to go into reverse and is a bit moody about the others unless it gets some wiggling.
Once I set off, there are no issues at all. Gearchanges are smooth, no slipping of the clutch/grinding etc.

Its approaching 120k so some could argue the clutch is on its way out but my dad is on 140 on his with the original.

I thought it might be low on hydrolic fluid but a quick look seems to indicate a cable.

Is it adjustable?

have you checked the bushes on the tie-rod bar/mount which connects to the gearbox as i believe these are prone to wear and can cause problems changing gear?.. (at least on phase 1 cars! lol!)..

Baj
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 20:45
I don't think it can be adjusted, as its hydraulic. Mine's a high motorway mile muncher and has just turned 140k. The gear cahnge is getting slightly 'snickier' and I think the clutch will need doing. 120k isn't a bad mileage either.

I was of the impression it was hydraulic but it does look suspiciously like a cable.
Mine is also a motorway car having been a reps car at some point (obvious pointers being little wear on seat bolster etc).

As I say the rest of the time it is all pukka, it is only that first gerchange that is odd.

jimmyc
Monday 22nd December 2008, 00:03
mines slipping when on turbo, in top gear ,with trailer on ,and full of tools, is it expensive job to do,

dave stew
Monday 22nd December 2008, 09:49
I was of the impression it was hydraulic but it does look suspiciously like a cable.
Mine is also a motorway car having been a reps car at some point (obvious pointers being little wear on seat bolster etc).

As I say the rest of the time it is all pukka, it is only that first gerchange that is odd.

No, it's definitely hydraulic. I did mine a couple of months ago and changed the 'slave' cylinder that is also the release bearing.

S60-MBS
Monday 22nd December 2008, 18:35
IIRC Baj yours is a manual shift?...at above 100k itscommon for the grease on the clutch splines to have hardened thus causing issues especially first thing .The fix is gearbox off and regrease of the splines.

Baj
Monday 22nd December 2008, 20:33
It is.
It has not been so bad recently tbh.

With gb off at 100k there is little point not doing the clutch at the same time.

thebadger
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 00:29
In ALL manual cars i have had/driven all do this... As far as I can see it's to do with how the clutch sits at start up.

I REALLY have noticed this in french cars (more so than others) but I have a solution!

When you try putting it into reverse... let the clutch up just a touch (just before the biting point) and the gear should pop right in!

If you don't believe me... just try it!

HTH!

Baj
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 03:37
My father pointed out a few months back that his P2 V70 manual (as in guide, not gearbox) says you should always start the car with your foot on the clutch.
I dont see the logic but I am getting into the habit.
The GFs sister just bought a Puma and it says the same in her book too.

dave stew
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 09:38
I have always started every manual car I drive with the clutch in - just habit, but it's a good thing to do - especially of you tend to leave it in gear as I do! (My drive is very steep).

thebadger
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 19:10
I used to do that too till I bought an auto. Like I said, just a slight lift on the clutch as you're putting it into gear, pops in every time!

simonc
Friday 9th January 2009, 00:45
I am getting this to on my V70R manual, its a bitch to get in reverse 1st thing in the morning & the other gears require a bit of work. Normally have to put it in 1st & 2nd a few times before i can get reverse, then its fine for the rest of the day. I'll try letting the clutch up near to biting when i select it tomorrow.

thebadger
Friday 9th January 2009, 01:02
Trust the badger, he knows of what he speaks!