PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen Wiper recommendations

princepugh
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 14:05
Anyone got any recommendations for a decent set of wipers which last more than 2 seconds?

Ta

kyebosh
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 14:09
I've always used genuine Volvo ones, never had any problems with squeaking/chattering/smearing, got at least 12 months use out of them, not paticularly cheap but definately good.

Rufe
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 14:23
i can only recommend the genuine article, as i have no experience with any others. I can give you the price for a set of our blades, in case its any use to you, as we give 30% off the retail price on these. If you wished to order I would need to know what year the car is, or at least which type you have fitted, as after 2005 they had the flat blades.

WINDSCREEN WIPERS (PAIR OF):
P/n: 30784428 P2, >2004
Volvo Price: £28.42 including vat
Our Price: £19.91 including vat, plus postage
Postage: £2.80 Royal Mail 2nd Class Recorded Delivery
Availability: Would be in with us the same day, or the day after ordering, then sent out with Royal Mail.

WINDSCREEN WIPERS, FLAT (PAIR OF):
P/n: 30753271 P2, 2005>
Volvo Price: £33.14 including vat
Our Price: £23.20 including vat, plus postage
Postage: £2.80 Royal Mail 2nd Class Recorded Delivery
Availability: Would be in with us the same day, or the day after ordering, then sent out with Royal Mail.

Simon :)

cornclose
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 14:33
Those are good prices considering you have to pay near on £15 each (if not more, depending on size) at Halfrauds.

richiemat
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 14:35
ive just had a new pair of genuine blades, the passenger side blade is curved upwards to fit the screen. definately worth the genuine item.

Rufe
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 15:04
Those are good prices considering you have to pay near on £15 each (if not more, depending on size) at Halfrauds.

Really? plus dont they charge £2.00 for fitting them if requested...?

come here and i will put them on for free, lol (cant help when items are posted sorry :P )

cornclose
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 15:23
I didn't buy them Simon - hell no...

princepugh
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 15:39
Thanks guys - Rufe it's a Phase II but I'll be in touch presently to place the order.

Ta

PP

Rufe
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 15:45
Thanks guys - Rufe it's a Phase II but I'll be in touch presently to place the order.

Ta

PP

yes i would need to know the year as there are two different types >2004 or 2005> (the later ones are flat blades)

AndyJudge
Wednesday 20th August 2008, 12:43
:B_thumb: for Rufe & the genuine items, last far longer than anything at Halfords or the local motor factor.

Place order for mine with Rufe one Afternoon arrived at home all boxed up I think it was next day (May have been 2 day's)

I've found on a number of occassions now that the genuine route is actually far cheaper than halford/motor factors etc..

Battery from our local dealer (Thought Postage may have been a killer on this hence no Rufe order ) for our C70 was something like £45, battery from Halfrauds (Not even same rating) was £75.

dave stew
Wednesday 20th August 2008, 12:48
I too have the genuine items on mine, front and back. They are excellent. I am however tempted to look at a Valeo flat blade conversion. Anyone tried them?

ahhpigsy
Wednesday 20th August 2008, 13:23
I have just taken delivery of the Bosch flat blades, cant comment on how good they are as the friggin car is waiting for a new gearbox, got them off parts for volvo but did include them in a parcel of brakes discs etc otherwise the postage is a killer. They were £24.00.

Okete
Wednesday 20th August 2008, 17:37
I fitted some of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260139147658

a few weeks ago and they have been super!

thunderace
Wednesday 20th August 2008, 18:44
got tesco flat blades on mine , much better than any conventional i have tried before and only 8.95 the pair

D5 Stunt Man
Wednesday 20th August 2008, 20:14
Spend the money for OEM (from Rufe of course).

I've just taken a set of Halfrauds wipers back and got a refund as all they did was smear water around the windscreen and make a terrible noise at the same time.

Ordered a set from Rufe (came next day and was only a few £££ more than the Halfrauds set), fitted them and hey preston, quiet as a mouse and perfectly cleared the screen.

Don't mess about pay the money.

entwisi
Thursday 21st August 2008, 08:04
Rain X

YKIMS

I've used this stuff for years now and its one of the best investments I make each year( 1 bottle usually lasts me 12 montsh). At anything above about 30 you don't even need wipers going and the faster you go and harder it rains the better! That split second when passing HGVs that are chucking out spray are 100x safer as there isn't a moment when you can't see.

Having said that, don't bother with FogX, its crap :D just put some neat washing up liquid on a dry cloth and rub it into the inside of the screen. Its a trick that bikers use on our visors and works brilliantly.

Redbrick
Thursday 21st August 2008, 09:33
Rufe sorted me out with the later wiper arms and flat blades. Combined with RainX its superb.

richiemat
Thursday 21st August 2008, 10:25
im off to buy some rain-x that stuff looks good!

princepugh
Thursday 21st August 2008, 12:09
I've ordered the genuine article from Rufe - must try the rain-x stuff!

Had a 'fog-city' on my bike helmet for a while, was fab until the seal broke, then worse than ever! lol

PP

cornclose
Thursday 21st August 2008, 12:23
Jeez can you still get RainX ? I used it in the late 80's and early 90's. In fact I just found a bottle of it the other week - must be at least 15 years old! Havn't tried it on the Volvo yet though - not had time!

S60-MBS
Thursday 21st August 2008, 12:46
RainX is fantastic stuff..combined with the later S60/V70 wiper blades makes driving in rain so easy..

Rufe
Thursday 21st August 2008, 12:49
Not long ago a mate told me about using paint polish on the screen to do the same job, this was after he had used Autoglym paint polish on the outside of his windscreen, and we were driving side by side in the rain on the motorway i had to have my wipers on to see he did not use his wipers at all and could see perfectly.

AndyJudge
Thursday 21st August 2008, 12:50
Costco have big bottles of Rain-X on the Shelf haven't tried it though as heard various bad reports on it.

On the Scooby I've got PIAA Silicon Wipers, they're cool, guess they do the same as rain-X & bead the water & it just slips off the screen, great warp speed effect as the speed builds up.

cornclose
Thursday 21st August 2008, 12:57
If I remember rightly the pain with RainX was having to apply it every week or two (depending on how much driving you did - back then I did a lot more than I do now).

Perhaps in the later products or the ones you can buy now the formula is much improved. I remember getting high on the fumes though - it smells so nice (well, it did then!).:rolleyes2

S60-MBS
Thursday 21st August 2008, 13:04
I tend to apply it every month but I also have the RainX wipes which I use in between,but I have also heard of RainX washer fluid but not yet seen it myself.

and yes Chris it does smell rather nice LOL

Volvo Family
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 14:11
I have been really pleased with a set of Valeo aftermarket flat blades, wipe well and lasted ages. They do have a small label which is meant to highlight when they need changing but you have to ignore that.

Although I've used RainX for a long time, I tried a product called Aquapel on the windscreen about a year ago and it's still going strong. Much better than RainX. Haven't used on the other windows as it's more expensive and trickier to get - try ebay or order from US. It's an aviation product originally designed for aircraft windshields.

thunderace
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 19:02
http://www.aquapel.com/What-is-Aquapel.php

entwisi
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 21:53
once a month is usually enough on mine as well ( I do ~ 700 miles a week), TBH if I had tpo do it weekly I wouldn't mind as it is soo good at what it does.