PDA

View Full Version : BIG oil use

adey
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 00:27
help im pulling my hair out trying to find my problum , im going thow about 3/4 litres every two weeks , theres no leaks no oil in water and its not burning it so if any idea's please help

shaun850
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 00:53
Hey sid how's it going...

I feel a wet & dry compression test would be a good start mate.

Should atleast rule out any worn ring problem's.. It has to be going somewhere.

Rich
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 01:15
If the rings were gone it would be smoking really bad.........happned to a alfa 156 jtd i had......peice of crap!

PNuT
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 04:53
If the rings were gone it would be smoking really bad.........happned to a alfa 156 jtd i had......peice of crap!

it would depend on how bad the rings are, there is very little info in the first post!

although 3/4 litre sounds alot he may be doing 800 miles a week!!

rings/PCV/turboseals.....

adey
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 09:09
hi im doing about 200 miles a week and i ment to put 3 to 4 litres in that time , done compressionis fine all 5 are at 12 bar , it only smokes at 1st build up on turbo then fine

LesRED850R
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 09:16
Some lowlife is draining it to use in a transit van!!!

PNuT
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 12:53
hi im doing about 200 miles a week and i ment to put 3 to 4 litres in that time , done compressionis fine all 5 are at 12 bar , it only smokes at 1st build up on turbo then fine

sorry i thought you meant three quaters of a litre..... thats quite a major amount of oil! that amount of oil being burnt would be obvious! is there any leaks under the car?

adey
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 13:04
no leaks anywhere no big ones anyway a dripple here and there

PNuT
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 13:42
the last car that i came across that used that amount of oil had a completely blocked PCV pipe & it was forcing the oil into the intercooler & out of the bottom..... has the drain hole on your intercooler been blocked?

blocked pcv's tend to force oil out all over the place & find any weak seal possible!

turbo return pipes can also lose quite a bit of oil but when they leak badly you tend to get the whole bottom of the car covered!

Alv70t5
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 15:11
Slight to medium piston ring wear can be almost un-noticalble, i think shes due an overhall mate :)

adey
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 15:16
well i will hav to put up with it at mo till i get a job if it is that

nobananas
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 21:46
Try leaving it idling for 5-10 minutes then give it a rev, any smoke plumes then are bad news. Mine was using oil at a rate of 1 litre every two weeks or so and started to smoke when left in traffic. A compression test on mine showed a fair drop in number 4 (all the others were fine) and after pulling the head the bores and rings on all 5 were totally shot. I had no other running issues whatsoever. Now, after a full engine and turbo rebuild it doesn't use a drop and it's quite eerie to leave it weeks on end and then check the level to find it bang on max !

Baj
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 23:18
I had a turbo seal leak. It didnt lose much but it was all over the back of the block. Quite noticable.

It must be burning it or pushing it into the coolant. If it were leaking that much it would be obvious

Tomcat
Wednesday 20th August 2008, 00:00
Mine's peeing out from the RMS, run the car whilst jacked up and check the drain hole at the end of the bellhousing where it meets the engine. Mine was seeping out of the hole, it went from full to completely bone dry in less than a week. Now I've done the PCV it's slowed but not by that much.

adey
Wednesday 20th August 2008, 08:10
cheers for all the feed back i think i will be looking for new engine soon then get a rebuild so well no its good and strong

adey
Sunday 7th September 2008, 11:30
hi all found the prob with car turbo brass bushes hav shattered so wen slow drivin it dosnt smoke but wen foot goes down it dose