PDA

View Full Version : Are the C70 seat tilters unreliable?

Boxzoo
Monday 18th August 2008, 21:13
Toying with the idea of buying the wife a C70. Went to look at two on a forecourt on Saturday. One was electric seats the other manual.

How the seats tilt is really important because we have two small kids who will be jumping in and out of the back constantly, so the tilt mechanism will get a lot of punishment.

On the electic seats car I looked at, neither of the electric tilts worked. One side had some resistance but didn't actually move the seats (they moved OK with the seat based controls) while the other side just flapped up and down loosely like something inside was broken.

On the manual again one side didn't work at all. It was really stiff and didn't slide up or down. The other side did, thankfully, work.

So my question is, based on the experience of C70 owners who use their rear seats a lot, do the mechanisms tend to fail? Any difference between the electric and manual (other than the electric being slower, which I had hoped to see for myself, but obviously didn't)?

By the way, the cars I looked at are here http://dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/53085/warmfieldcarsales_stock.htm.

If you are tempted by these make sure you take a careful look at them before buying. I asked if the air con on the silver one was working and he said 'I believe so'. I tested it and heard the compressor constantly clicking in and out. I told him it wasn't working. He asked if I'd turned it on with the doors open or closed. I told him open. He said that would be why it wasn't working because the air con won't work 'unless there's a vacuum in the car'. Someone should write a book about car salesmens' yarns!

BlackC70
Monday 18th August 2008, 22:16
the manual ones in mine work to tilt the seat, but only sporadically work to slide it forward - I usually have to manually slide the seat forward with the front adjuster before having the prospective rear seat passenger operate the tilt lever to actually get in!

Boxzoo
Monday 18th August 2008, 22:19
Oh, the manual ones are supposed to move it forward too? The one working tilter only moved the upright bit, it didn't slide it forward! So that's 0 out of 4 working.

the manual ones in mine work to tilt the seat, but only sporadically work to slide it forward - I usually have to manually slide the seat forward with the front adjuster before having the prospective rear seat passenger operate the tilt lever to actually get in!

BigV
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 11:32
Not sure I would advice buying a C70 if you need the rear seats all the time, the electric seats are slow to say the least.

Liddo
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 12:08
I'd go for the Turquoise one, but then, Im biased ;)

DONT get the electric seats if the kids are constantly getting in and out (IMO) as the seats are REALLY slow as stated, and when its peeing down, they'll have to stand there getting wet for a while. I would of thought the manual seats would never be a problem, but I cant tell you, as the 3 Coupe's Ive had, have all been electrically seated ;)

Also, the cars your looking at are the low presure turbo models. Im sure there's LOADS of mint T5's out there, with fully working seats for less than what they are asking. Ive seen them go lately for as little as £1800!!!

If you do go for the ones at the garage, make sure they get the seats sorted first, or knock off at LEAST £60.00 per seat for fixing, as mine needed the cable in the drivers seat, and thats what it cost to sort out.

Im sure there's loads of Buyer Guides on here, do a search ;)

Good luck ;)

AndyJudge
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 13:15
The seat leavers both Slide & tilt the seats on ours, the only problem that we have is that they seem to have a 2 stage type motion ie If you pull the lever only part way up it unlocks the back & but no slide, If you ensure that you pull the lever fully up it tilts & slides the seat.

Also find that you need to be careful with putting stuff in the seat backs as if the seat doesn't tip forwards far enough the slide diesn't release.

We've got 2 kids (8 & 3) & they don't have any issues getting in & out if it helps

Andy

c70Portree
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 14:22
not trying to be a ***** guys but have you used the manual catches properley? i didnt think mine worked until i found out how to use them properley, step one, lift the catch up and push the backrest forward,step 2. then hold the backrest forward and realease the catch then the seat should slide forward properley, what a backwards way of doing things i know!!! but it in the manual!!!

MSc70t5
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 18:47
Did not know this, but will try, so thanks for the info.
To be fair I seem to think Volvo can't seem to get coupe's right when it comes to tilting seats, don't get me wrong I love my C70 but I have the same probs with the seats as I had with the numerous 480's, however once in the back its a great place to be!!!!!!!!! Volvo make such big, comfy seats and in leather which don't like to be squashed forward at times. Mine as the manual levers but a mate as the electric and the motors are slow, and you could be very wet while waiting. In my view the C70 is an excellent car for the money these days and you soon learn to live with it and enjoy it.

Just checked the website and these are very local to me, however photo's taken away from the dealership on Heath Common, Wakefield. Wakefield is not that posh!

Boxzoo
Wednesday 20th August 2008, 00:01
Thanks all for the advice. Will try the manual tilting method next time I look at one. Wasn't really intending to buy the Wakey ones, just looking to see what they were like as not looked at any others yet. What I really want is a well loved T5 saffron auto with a sunroof, Dolby, cream leather and birch dash for about £2,000. Don't want much do I?!

Liddo
Wednesday 20th August 2008, 09:10
Thanks all for the advice. Will try the manual tilting method next time I look at one. Wasn't really intending to buy the Wakey ones, just looking to see what they were like as not looked at any others yet. What I really want is a well loved T5 saffron auto with a sunroof, Dolby, cream leather and birch dash for about £2,000. Don't want much do I?!

Have a look in "General Section" for "just bought a C70". A Saffy C70 T5 for £1700!!! They ARE about, just make sure its a loved one

Clicky

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16883

;)