PDA

View Full Version : Wheels and cr@p you're pants torque steer !

nobananas
Sunday 17th August 2008, 21:36
I'm going on holiday in a few weeks time and have been getting increasingly frustrated that every time I do any motorway driving I get an annoying vibration through the floor of the car. I've re-balanced the wheels (which made no difference) and swapped them front to rear (which did seem to 'move' the vibration) so I decided that rather then arrive on holiday already pee'd off that I would swap my 17" Volans and stick my old Columbas back on. Trouble is I needed two new tyres on them so I bought a couple of 'lower end' tyres with the intention of sticking them on the front and my still legal old Vredesteins on the back. I cocked up and ordered the wrong profile (205/55/16 instead of 205/50/16) but thought 'sod it' I'll stick 'em on anyway and throw them on the back. I swapped the wheels over today and took it for a blat....IT BLOODY NEARLY KILLED ME !. I had a touch of torque steer before but this is ridiculous !..it's as if someone had grabbed the wheel off me and steered my towards the opposite kerb !. The only thing I can think of is that the old Vreddies have gone a bit hard (they were on the back before !) as they have been stored for a while so looks like I shall have to buy two more (ahem) cheaper tyres for the front....bugger !

Alan M
Sunday 17th August 2008, 21:41
Gutted!

readview
Sunday 17th August 2008, 23:43
The small mounting under the o/s of the engine sometimes fails,letting the engine rest on the subframe,this gives vibration,worn wishbone bushes will let the car pull you all over the place under acceleration and under braking.Might be worth a look?

nobananas
Monday 18th August 2008, 18:38
The small mounting under the o/s of the engine sometimes fails,letting the engine rest on the subframe,this gives vibration,worn wishbone bushes will let the car pull you all over the place under acceleration and under braking.Might be worth a look?

Cheers, wishbones are poly'd and that mounting was replaced a short while ago. Didn't have any torque steery type problems on the Volans, think it might be down to the tyres being a bit elderly and the compound going hard, changing them this week so hopefully this will sort it.

Babybadger
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 08:54
A strut brace will tame it slightly as well.....But bigger wheels is the usual way forward.....

nobananas
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 21:40
A strut brace will tame it slightly as well.....But bigger wheels is the usual way forward.....

Have strut brace already (and bigger wheels LOL !). My only problem with my Volans is that there is a slight vibration at 70+ mph and on long trips it just annoys me !. I may have a slightly distorted rim or the balance may be out (although I've balanced them more times then I can remember but our balancer has seen better days !) so I thought I'd try my old Columbas to see if it cured it and keep a set of 'comfy' wheels for long journeys !

Babybadger
Wednesday 20th August 2008, 15:07
Have strut brace already (and bigger wheels LOL !). My only problem with my Volans is that there is a slight vibration at 70+ mph and on long trips it just annoys me !. I may have a slightly distorted rim or the balance may be out (although I've balanced them more times then I can remember but our balancer has seen better days !) so I thought I'd try my old Columbas to see if it cured it and keep a set of 'comfy' wheels for long journeys !

Have you balanced the wheels on the outside or inside of the rim?

nobananas
Wednesday 20th August 2008, 19:23
Have you balanced the wheels on the outside or inside of the rim?

Both, only way our current balancer will do it. We have got another one that you can specify balancing on just inner edge only or even down the center but it's way out of calibration and we can't find anyone locally who can re-calibrate it.

nobananas
Thursday 21st August 2008, 20:59
Well a new pair of budget boots on the front have solved it, it now pulls straight (ish !) and some grip has returned. Will see how these tyres perform whilst on holiday compared to the Goodyear ones on my 17's.