PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problem, Any ideas?

arongreaves
Saturday 16th August 2008, 17:48
every now and again when i start my c70, it fies up when the ignition is turned and then the revs drop straight away and it cut's out then if you try to start again it refuses to even fire up but the 3rd time of starting it always fires up and the revs settle at 1000 RPM as they should, like i say it's only now and again but is pretty embarrasing sumtimes when it wont start when im in a car wash etc, the mechanic at work suggests it could be a fuel problem causing this and esarlier when i had my dad in the car and we was stationery in traffic he reckoned he could smell a bit of petrol then it went and he never smelt it after or before that only time.Iv checked the drive etc for any fuel leakages etc but not a sign of anything!
Any ideas or suggestions where i should start to investigate the problem?

chrisRSVR
Saturday 16th August 2008, 17:56
My V70 does the exact same thing, iv been told that it could be somthing to do with a chip in the key for the imobilizer? i only have one key so cant say if thats it or not, it was a volvo mechanic that told me so it might be worth checking!

PNuT
Saturday 16th August 2008, 18:39
it could be the immobilizer as suggested by chris, i also think the evap system can cause problems! my was a right pain in the arse until i accidentally broke one of the one way valves on the evap system & decided 50 quid was too much to be a tree hugger.... so more or less riped the whole system out! no more starting problems.....

however i did spend an awful lot of time getting my car far from perfect at around the same time so it may be co incidence

arongreaves
Saturday 16th August 2008, 19:30
Thanks chrisRSVR, i thought the same but i tried using the spare key for a couple of weeks and exactly same thing kept happening, me personally first thing that came into my head when i started to get this problem was a immobilizer fault or chip in key fault.

PNuT
Saturday 16th August 2008, 19:43
Thanks chrisRSVR, i thought the same but i tried using the spare key for a couple of weeks and exactly same thing kept happening, me personally first thing that came into my head when i started to get this problem was a immobilizer fault or chip in key fault.

spare key wont help.... its the ring around the ignition that plays up

T-5HAUN
Saturday 30th August 2008, 02:12
If its only doing it when the engines cold, could be a dodgy coolant temperature sensor, mine was faulty and same was happening but you'd expect lamda light to come on if this is the case.

mexybhouy
Saturday 30th August 2008, 02:26
If it's not the ignition ring as stated earlier it could be a number of things! sounds electrical as unburnt fuel smell would lead to this! no fire at plugs but it's one of them process of illumination tasks i'm affraid! hope that's how you spell it? good luck with it!!!!!!!!!

RT MECHANICS
Saturday 30th August 2008, 08:08
spare key wont help.... its the ring around the ignition that plays up

Correct :B_thumb: we change loads of these items they cost £25 fom memory and is easy to change at home i would put money on it being this .

Russ

ncarnall
Saturday 30th August 2008, 10:51
Mine did it aswell, but I have found that it only happens if I jump in and fire it up straight away it hasn't happened since I put key in and count to 10 before turning key. Worth a try?

Rufe
Saturday 30th August 2008, 11:44
If it is the antenna ring, (pretty likely to be honest, we sell lots of these - looking at the history of the part around one a week) then price is as follows.

ANTENNA RING:
P/n: 271632
Volvo Price: £31.26 inc vat
Our Price: £26.57 inc vat, plus postage
Postage:£1.67 Royal Mail 2nd Class recorded delivery
Availability: Usually in Stock, or would be in with us the same day or day after order is placed, then sent out with Royal Mail.

Hope this helps

Simon :)

BlackC70
Saturday 30th August 2008, 11:45
on mine it was the ring around the barrel too, it's occasionally doing it again now though which is a bit of an irritation, I find if I hold the key flat to the lock before putting it in, it works every time...