PDA

View Full Version : volvo 850 awd transmission noise{wineing}

Mental Wealth Doctor
Saturday 16th August 2008, 16:03
could anyone advize as to what problem may be, car is making wineing sound, it happens only when moving, an also when moving in neutral, could it just be low oil in transmission? be real greatful of any experienced advice, thanx

readview
Sunday 17th August 2008, 10:25
Sadly the transfer box is a common source of the noise you describe and wont be cured by topping up the oil.On the awd cars it is important that all four tyres are rotated regularly so the wear level stays within a mill or so,otherwise it damages the transfer box.Do try and be sure to eliminate more basic faults first though,such as wheel bearing noise.This will also occur whether the car is in gear or not.If the noise gets louder when cornering in one direction and quieter cornering the other way then it is most likely a wheel bearing.

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 09:34
As said above, could be the tyre wear is more on some wheels and is putting strain on the system. Just do a check and see if the wheels have the same wear, if not, then you need to get them all replaced to relieve the strain on the system.

I swap my wheels from front to back every 6 months (you can use the X method where you swap front driver wheel to rear passenger, etc, but sometimes you can't do that as some tyres have a running direction.

Is it coming from the front or rear? Obviously you've got the rear diff, so check the oil level in that, also you have the angle gear at the front, check the oil in that too. You can get the oil from Volvo dealer, Rufe (on here), or I saw some on partsforvolvosonline.com the other day. The capacities are: angle gear - 0.75 litres, and rear diff - 1.35 litres.

LesRED850R
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 12:07
Seen your CAT [ Puss ] recently??

Mental Wealth Doctor
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 21:38
whooooooooooooopz ive smashed my rear diff, doh! replaced oil but 2 late damage was done, shes smashed drivin back from garage, oh well, thanx 4 ya answers!
dont spose you'd kno if the rear diff from a v70 awd will fit my 850 awd?????

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 21:47
Oh bad luck mate. I've just finished changing my clutch, had to be a complete engine out job (its the easiest way to do it because the angle gear is in the way of everything!)

Yes, the rear diffs are the same on the 850/v70 awd up to 1999. So Best thing to do is to ask Rufe, he'll be able to clarify.

readview
Wednesday 20th August 2008, 00:47
Got a couple of back axles here with good diffs in.With warranty £100+shipping and vat.