PDA

View Full Version : Banging from drivers side rear

dazat5
Saturday 16th August 2008, 13:21
Hi all, i just noticed what i can only describe as a bang on a empty petrol drum noise :S, its coming from the back drivers side as i go over bumps, im really concerned about the noise, its something i have never heard before, i took a look under the car and nothing obvious is there, so any ideas?

Thanks

Alan M
Saturday 16th August 2008, 13:54
What car is it Daza? An estate or saloon? It could be one of a few things, worn top mounts, rear bushs or outer bushes worn or even the rear struts may need attention.

dazat5
Saturday 16th August 2008, 14:10
Hey mate, its my estate, i tried pushing the read of the car down, and the noise isnt there, its only when i go over bumps

gtiteen
Saturday 16th August 2008, 14:33
shock absorber?

Alan M
Saturday 16th August 2008, 14:43
I would first check your strut top mounts. They are visible by removing the flooring in the boot area. They should be in good condition and one piece. If they are okay it may be more than likely the delta links (rear outer bushes). They are fitted into the rear trailing arm at either side of the car and have one bolt through one end that bolts it to the frame of the car. It has a large rubber bush at one end that is visible and the other is hidden inside the trailing arm. You need a special tool to get them out.

http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?showtopic=3623

Have a look at this link for what the tool looks like and bush location.

Alzabout
Saturday 16th August 2008, 15:22
This is more than likely to be the shock absorber bush mount, a common problem apparently. As Alan M says if you remove the floor covering in the boot where the shock absorber to is you will be able to check by pushing the car suspension down, it if seperates there's your problem. Easy job to do, molegrips and the correct size ring spanner and the part is only about £25 form the main dealer.

nobananas
Saturday 16th August 2008, 22:53
Something else to check if your top mounts are okay, there is a round metal lump at the bottom of the rear coil springs that has a bolt sticking out of the bottom that clamps down the first coil of the spring to the spring cup. Had one work loose on mine and clunk everytime I hit a bump, was a bugger to find !

woz
Sunday 17th August 2008, 22:45
Hi all, i just noticed what i can only describe as a bang on a empty petrol drum noise :S, its coming from the back drivers side as i go over bumps, im really concerned about the noise, its something i have never heard before, i took a look under the car and nothing obvious is there, so any ideas?

Thanks

Checo yer zorst too. They can go up and down like the Assyrian Empire if the rubber bits are broke or missing. Good luck
Woz

PEAKUNDER
Sunday 17th August 2008, 23:20
Hope this doesn't appear to be a stupid response, but, do you have a load cover? I've noticed in both our estates that when the load cover is not in use, ie , just rolled back - everytime we go over a bump, a similar noise occurs. Just a thought, and another easier option to sort out, costing nothing!

Jeff :B_program

dazat5
Thursday 21st August 2008, 12:14
Hope this doesn't appear to be a stupid response, but, do you have a load cover? I've noticed in both our estates that when the load cover is not in use, ie , just rolled back - everytime we go over a bump, a similar noise occurs. Just a thought, and another easier option to sort out, costing nothing!

Jeff :B_program

Hi i took my load cover off a few days back as i had to help someone move house, i have checked a few things, but the top mounts i cannot find at all i must be going blind, do i take the carpet up in the boot near the wheel arch??, i also booked the car in for a service at volvo cos its just passed 70k, £170 :o

shaun850
Thursday 21st August 2008, 18:44
Hi i took my load cover off a few days back as i had to help someone move house, i have checked a few things, but the top mounts i cannot find at all i must be going blind, do i take the carpet up in the boot near the wheel arch??, i also booked the car in for a service at volvo cos its just passed 70k, £170 :o

Catch me on msn!

mexybhouy
Thursday 21st August 2008, 21:22
Don't let the Mrs sit there! sorry could'nt resist!!!!!!!

dazat5
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 20:03
Don't let the Mrs sit there! sorry could'nt resist!!!!!!!

lol no comment :shhh: