PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!!!!!!!

spesh
Saturday 23rd April 2005, 19:38
Does anyone know where I can buy an uprated intercooler for my 854 T5???

Bison
Saturday 23rd April 2005, 19:53
I know that forge motorsport in Gloucester do make them, not sure if they already do one for our cars, but with a bit of cash they will make one for ya. Isn't the original big enough for ya?

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/

Bison

After_Shock
Saturday 23rd April 2005, 20:26
If you can be bothered with the work get a custom one made and located behind the front bumper, intercooler cores arent too expensive and the piping wont cost alot its just getting someone to fit it and bend all the pipes.

The standard cooler is huge but not exactly efficient and weighs a ton!

I got an uprated one from the states when I replaced the one on the C70, was even bigger than the standard one but alot lighter and more efficient at cooling.

Pedro Fandango
Saturday 23rd April 2005, 20:43
the piping wont cost alot its just getting someone to fit it and bend all the pipes.
i've got Powerflow to make several turbo pipes up in the past (including the reverse IC conversion i believe is now on Siamblues T5) creep around them & i'm sure they'll easily do the custom pipes for you

After_Shock
Saturday 23rd April 2005, 20:51
Depending on your location seriously check out the local powerflow people, I know pedro stands by them however I have yet to see a good anything come from one of them and thats from about 3 outlets in the North East.

Im not sure were your located spesh but theirs a great company in Newcastle that could do the work properly using very good materials, but obviously that might be well out of the way for you!

Bison
Saturday 23rd April 2005, 21:34
I have yet to see a good anything come from one of them and thats from about 3 outlets in the North East

I agree, Powerflow are a bunch of cowboys, any exhaust or piping etc I will always use Longlife in the SW, Seriously though if your considering getting an intercooler made you should consider Forge Motorsport as that's what
they do. They make all the intercoolersfor Norris Designs etc and are said to be one of the best in Europe. They even make a huge amount for the modding world in the USA.

I mean look at this for quality http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&catalog=0013

Bison

Pedro Fandango
Saturday 23rd April 2005, 21:45
Agreed, Powerflow is a franchise so the standard of work can/does vary alot, always see some of the work done at that particular branch beforehand

spesh
Sunday 24th April 2005, 00:15
I got an uprated one from the states when I replaced the one on the C70, was even bigger than the standard one but alot lighter and more efficient at cooling.

Cheers for that, you wouldn't happen to have any links or phone numbers of this place in the state you had yours from??

After_Shock
Sunday 24th April 2005, 11:07
Info sent. If it was me as you have basically the same spec as what I had then I wouldnt bother, the reason why the Volvo cooler is so big in the first place is because its sandwiched between two other radiators which is probably the worst design ever for cooling anything!

If you want to improve the cooling the intercooler really needs to be moved from where it is to be effective.

Pedro Fandango
Sunday 24th April 2005, 11:17
the reason why the Volvo cooler is so big in the first place is because its sandwiched between two other radiators
its not if you don't have aircon :)

After_Shock
Sunday 24th April 2005, 11:20
True but I did!

EVen considered taking the air con out or moving the air con radiator but even that thing was huge.

spesh
Sunday 24th April 2005, 11:38
Just seen PM, cheers aftershock, my car doesn't have air con, but it went on the rollers yesterday, and I had a laser heat gun pointing at the intercooler, 14C on tick over but as it approached 4000RPM it went 20, 30,40,50,60,70, then we had to stop, went up so fast, I do realise that the fans he had were not strong enough, but it seem to me that you would need 100MPH fans for the correct cooling on the rolling road, but I would like a bigger intercooler just for peace of mind and that exra bit of performance, when you had your car Rolling roaded wat were the fans like that they used????
Thanks

After_Shock
Sunday 24th April 2005, 11:45
I only ever had it on the rollers twice after the 19t conversion, the first time it was about 22 degrees outside and they had a single fan pointing on the front of the car, that run got about 340bhp.

The second time the outside temp was about 8 degrees and it was a bit damp, however again still only a single fan pointing at the front but that got 352bhp, never had any temp problems with the car though and that had the air con radiator infront of the intercooler!

spesh
Sunday 24th April 2005, 11:48
Seems strange why mine is heating up so fast, in the end we had 2 fans blowing at it yesterday, maybe a fault with the cooler, wonder If anyone has ever had this problem???

Ross9
Sunday 24th April 2005, 11:58
Holy coo spesh, if you hadn't already said that i was just about to say had you had it on the rollers to check that you really did need a better intercooler, but it seems fairly definite from what you've said. the good news is once you get that sorted you will go even faster because your engine won't be like a furnace anymore! can't think why it's so inefficient though, maybe it simply is because it's not equipped to deal with your other mods?

let us know how you get on with finding a new one, ps did you not get a bhp reading then?

jacq.

After_Shock
Sunday 24th April 2005, 12:04
I cant think of anything other than the intercooler cant take the temp, I know from owning a 200sx alot of the sx owners use Volvo/saab intercoolers on their cars as an improvement over the standard one but when they start tuning them they have to change them to something else as their not efficient enough, and thats on a 2litre 4cyl car.

If thats the situation with the cooler I would not like to drive it hard in warm weather! Only other thing can think of would be a problem with the turbo over boosting or something and giving out too much heat but that would destroy the engine internals so you would know about that!

spesh
Sunday 24th April 2005, 14:54
It got up to 274BHP and 445Nm of tourqe@4000rpm, so we stopped at 4100rpm as the ecu shut everything down!!!!!! :jaw:
But she seems fine on the road!!