PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Fobs and receiver

dp3000
Friday 15th August 2008, 15:44
Can anyone provide advice on whether replacing the receiver when replacing the key fobs means that you don't need to have car reprogrammed by the dealer?

paullus
Friday 15th August 2008, 17:34
Hi.
Sounds like I'm in the same boat as you with the central locking not working unless I'm really close to the car. It really depends how you are doing it. If you're buying new fobs and receiver you will have to have them programmed to pair them. If you're buying a second hand receiver with fob(s) from the same vehicle they shouldn't need reprogramming. I don't know what year your car is but on my 1997 S70 the receiver is located on top of the speedo. I had to remove the top of the dash to get at it. Not a difficult job but unfortunately I neglected to make a note of the part number which is required to ensure the correct replacement is obtained. From memory a new receiver is around £115 and your existing fobs will need reprogramming. A 2nd hand receiver with fobs was around £40 from Salvo.
I hope this helps.
Cheers.

paullus
Monday 25th August 2008, 14:42
Hi I've just cured mine.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?p=177159#post177159

I was lucky with the new receiver accepting the signal from my original fobs. I bought it from Rufe for approx £105 delivered.
I tried to buy a receiver with fobs from Salvo with no luck and got outbid on a set on Ebay. If you buy the receiver and fobs from the same car they will still work when fitted to yours.
If you get new fobs and a 2nd hand receiver I'm certain you'll have to get them reprogrammed. My local dealer was going to charge me £15+VAT to do this.
Cheers.