PDA

View Full Version : Outer cv boot.DIY or not?

My T5
Thursday 14th August 2008, 19:32
Hi all,My outer cv boot has been split for a while now so i thought its time to sort it out.Ive been and got the boot and was wondering if its an easy diy job or not.Im reasonably confident tackling most tasks on my cars but was wondering whats involved.I dont have access to a ramp unfortunately.Also the drop links need doing which ive got.Are they as easy as they look?

wellsy
Thursday 14th August 2008, 19:42
i done both the cv joints on my old 850 seemed to be very straghtfoward to get the driveshaft out , if i remember right the main nut in the centre of the hub was very tight ,fortunatley i had the use of a air gun to help me with this .
get a haynes manual they are normally very ood for this type of job and gives you the torque settings for everything you undo.
i have to do a inner cv boot on my v70 soon
best of luck getting it sorted
cheers wellsy

nobananas
Thursday 14th August 2008, 20:26
Hardest bit about doing the C/V boots is undoing the nut and then actually getting the C/V joint out of the hub (they are threadlocked in for some reason !) I haven't been able to shift mine from the hub both times that I did the boots but there is another way. It's a bit tricky but if you release the bottom balljoint then cut off the old boot you can slide the C/V joint off the driveshaft whilst leaving it still attached to the hub. You will need some internal circlip pliers to release the circlip then it is possible to swing the whole leg out (loosen the top mount bolts to give a little more slack) and off the driveshaft. It's then a simple case off slipping the new boot onto the driveshaft and sliding the shaft back into the joint.

ShadeTek
Thursday 14th August 2008, 22:10
You can fit a CV boot without taking the joint apart. Take a look at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvBXU54cWYs

nobananas
Thursday 14th August 2008, 22:16
You can fit a CV boot without taking the joint apart. Take a look at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvBXU54cWYs

We use those all the time at work but you usually need to use special boots. We also have an air powered expander that's even easier but you still have to get the joint out of the hub which is the hard bit on 850's !

Tomcat
Thursday 14th August 2008, 22:16
Like the little reminder at the very end of the vid,lol.

cameron
Thursday 14th August 2008, 22:31
Ive done both the C.V.'s on my 855, im no expert but i found it pretty easy, like said before the hardest bit is " cracking " the 36mm nut. the split pin or whatever its called in the c.v. can be fiddly and messy depending on the amount of grease still in the boot if any! as for the drop links they are a piece of p*ss, small torque and a ratchet spanner, 10 minutes a side once you get the wheel off.