PDA

View Full Version : Woolley Steering!

dave854
Thursday 14th August 2008, 16:30
Does any one else's '70 or 850 suffer from vaige and woolley steering?

I've got a '99 v70 with low miles but the steering doesn't compare to the 850 i previously had with 100K + miles. The 850 steering was in comparison heavy, in that you felt what you were doing and got plenty of feedback through the wheel. The V70 is much different, it is very light and you hardly feel anything! even tourque steer is minial (given thats its a T5).

I've read through most of the forums and come across the usual typres, bushes etc but none of that seems to be the problems. The tyres are the ones off my 850 (couldnt let the Titans go!). The car has a strut brace fitted, new wishbone and top mount on one side and new Volvo shocks on both sides. The other bushes and things look to be in good order.

one possible thing that may be affecting the handling is week back nivomats - one is oily on the bottom but not dripping with oil - is this a sign to change? the car sits level and they both pump up evenly. Only thing noticable is that the back of the car bumps quite harshly over everything!

The only difference I know of between my old 850 and my current V70 is the type of rack. There was only ever two types put in and my 850 had one while my V70 has the other - maybe one is a lighter rack?

Just realised i've waffled on a bit here, sorry!!

Any suggestiong etc welcome!

readview
Thursday 14th August 2008, 23:12
Without driving it it's difficult to assess the steering,but if the shocker is leaking as you describe then it needs to go in the bin.The crashing over bumps could well be the top shocker mounts having failed.These are easy to replace and not too expensive.