PDA

View Full Version : HELP-No Brake Lights

Babybadger
Thursday 14th August 2008, 09:46
Help - No brake lights whatsoever......Went to pick up mate from Stansted last night, noticed when I reversed back no brake lights...... all other lights work......
... Bulbs ok, fuse 12 fine (xchecked with another 10A- no problem there)

Are brake light switches common to go? Easy Job?

Rufe PM me with a price and delivery, and discount......cheers mate

Babybadger
Thursday 14th August 2008, 10:33
Rumpity-bump , I need some pointers here lads......

cameron
Thursday 14th August 2008, 11:11
Im no expert but is there a sensor on the brake pedal or summit?

neevo
Thursday 14th August 2008, 11:20
Yes there is a sensor on teh brake pedal arm jsut out of reach until you remove the fascia cladding around it (2 screws iirc).

Mine was knackered when I got mt car and the toughest part was removing the old one which had been cable-tied in place! (bodge job). Cost about £15 for a new one. It has a push on connector (or 2) for the cables and it is a simple job of connecting the cables then just pushing the end of the switch through the hole until it snaps into place.

I think it is common, it was a stock item at the dealers!

Depending on how fat you are it will take between 15 to 30 mins to do :D

Jod T5
Thursday 14th August 2008, 11:36
Rumpity-bump , I need some pointers here lads......
Assuming all the bulbs are fine, you need to check that the switch which is positioned at the top of the brake pedal is working..To do this check between the input and output terminals for continuity with the pedal depressed. If there is no continuity the switch is knackered, if there is check the input terminal for current....
Cheers
Jod

Babybadger
Thursday 14th August 2008, 12:56
check this as well as that , the central locking has gone funny, I have had this happen before though....... will disconnect battery later and see if that resolves central locking.......

Babybadger
Thursday 14th August 2008, 12:57
Yes there is a sensor on teh brake pedal arm jsut out of reach until you remove the fascia cladding around it (2 screws iirc).

Mine was knackered when I got mt car and the toughest part was removing the old one which had been cable-tied in place! (bodge job). Cost about £15 for a new one. It has a push on connector (or 2) for the cables and it is a simple job of connecting the cables then just pushing the end of the switch through the hole until it snaps into place.

Depending on how fat you are it will take between 15 to 30 mins to do :D

Very fat , thanks for that....

neevo
Thursday 14th August 2008, 13:23
You're welcome!
BTW I found a broom to be an excellent tool to test the brakes p push the handle against the pedal enough to move it (not much needed) and the head and bristles grip the seat perfectly enough to test it - just jam it in and run around the back of the car if you are on your own when doing it!

cameron
Thursday 14th August 2008, 14:56
Try locking and unlocking the tailgate with the key a couple of times and then try the fob again, i had the same problem with mine and it was ok for a bit, now i need a new tailgate locking mechanism.

Rufe
Thursday 14th August 2008, 15:33

yes we used to keep them on the shelf too. not much call for them now so i had to order it in

(we stock very little these days, there is no real need to - i ordered this part around lunchtime and i will have it packed up and posted in the next 20 minutes or so)

Sorry i missed this thread originally Matt.

Babybadger
Thursday 14th August 2008, 15:35
Just out of interest , there is no master relay or fuse that governs all things? A mate had a similar problem with a Mitsubishi 4wd thing.....

Rufe
Thursday 14th August 2008, 15:38
Try locking and unlocking the tailgate with the key a couple of times and then try the fob again, i had the same problem with mine and it was ok for a bit, now i need a new tailgate locking mechanism.

an even more common fault, we used to go through those every day of the week at one point. Here is the price of them for you to know

TAILGATE LOCK:
P/n: 9203375
Volvo Price: £101.06 including vat
Our Price: £84.38 including vat plus postage
Postage: £3.21 Royal Mail Standard Parcel Force
Availability: Would be in the same day or day after ordering, then sent out with Royal Mail.

Babybadger
Thursday 14th August 2008, 15:57
yes we used to keep them on the shelf too. not much call for them now so i had to order it in

(we stock very little these days, there is no real need to - i ordered this part around lunchtime and i will have it packed up and posted in the next 20 minutes or so)

Sorry i missed this thread originally Matt.

No worries mate, sorted......make sure it has my name on it somewhere and it will get to me , thanks again simon.

Babybadger
Friday 15th August 2008, 10:34
does anyone know how these drop in and out with damaging it? I have got the slam panel off and can see that the plug undoes, how do you remove the switch? Is there a knack?

BTW cheers cameron 793 worked a treat, will change lock out if it keeps doing it

UPDATE : me being a TW**, all working and it was the switch ! Thanks again to Rufe for the fast despatch.......

Rufe
Friday 15th August 2008, 13:31
glad to hear it did the trick mate :)