PDA

View Full Version : Bleed valve help please

850 Turbo Hearse
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 18:15
Hello!

First post - just got an 850 R Estate because I have some large heavy stuff that needs moving quicky (not bodies, honest) and I'm stunned by what a hoot it is to drive - how come something so sensible is so fun?

Anyway, mine has some kind of bleed valve fitted (as well as lots of suspicious blue hoses and a look-at-me spec dump valve) and I'm wondering how much I should trust the guy who last fiddled with it. In his defense, its been running like this for a few years with no visible signs of destruction, and it doesnt appear to be running stupid boost pressures or anything.

Anyway, my questions are as follows:

1 - What are the chances it's been set for the kind of boost that'll kill the engine?
b - What is the highest safe boost that a standard engine will take (it has a cat-back BSR exhaust system and a K&N not-really-filtering-much-out filter, if that helps)?
iii - What is the thing cable-tied to the shiny pipe which looks like some kind of solenoid?
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/houdini00007/th_CIMG0990.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/houdini00007/CIMG0992.jpg?t=1218648761
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/houdini00007/CIMG0989.jpg?t=1218648714

Final question - would a strut brace be a good idea or have I been seduced to the chav-side by the shiny pipes and blue hoses?

Please help - I'm worried it's running with rediculous engine killing boost but it make such a nice noise I keep flooring it everywhere anyway. Ive ordered a boost gauge in the hope that when I plug it in it wont just read 'Engine Death'.

Thanks in advance,

8TH

Tomcat
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 18:25
First of all, welcome to the forum.

Can't really help with the boost issues, however quite a lot of people have run bleed valves without issue, provided they're not set to mental boost pressures. I think to properly work out your boost you'd have to have a decent boost gauge, the factory one's not really upto the job.

I can't diagnose the thing in the pic as the pic isn't showing.

A strut brace is a must have for these cars, it makes SO much difference to the feel of the steering. Speak to Rufe on here, he works for a dealer in Wales that gives us fantastic discount.

850 Turbo Hearse
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 18:35
Thanks TC, I've fixed the links now so hopefully the above will make a bit more sense.

Jod T5
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 18:40
Hello!

First post - just got an 850 T5 Estate because I have some large heavy stuff that needs moving quicky (not bodies, honest) and I'm stunned by what a hoot it is to drive - how come something so sensible is so fun?

Anyway, mine has some kind of bleed valve fitted (as well as lots of suspicious blue hoses and a look-at-me spec dump valve) and I'm wondering how much I should trust the guy who last fiddled with it. My questions are as follows:

1 - What are the chances it's been set for the kind of boost that'll kill the engine?
b - What is the highest safe boost that a standard engine will take (it has a cat-back BSR exhaust system and a K&N not-really-filtering-much-out filter, if that helps)?
iii - What is the thing cable-tied to the shiny pipe which looks like some kind of solenoid?
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/houdini00007/?action=view&current=CIMG0992.jpg

Final question - would a strut brace be a good idea or have I been seduced to the chav-side by the shiny pipes and blue hoses?

Please help - I'm worried it's running with rediculous engine killing boost but it make such a nice noise I keep flooring it everywhere anyway.

Thanks,

8TH
Hello 8TH

Your car will be fittes with a factory bleed valve otherwise known as a boost control solonoid which i would expect is what you are refering to as being cabletied...These are supposed to be screwed to the air filter box but most that have been played with are left hanging in the manor you desribe by bodgers...

As TC said the picture has failed to operate so it is a little difficut to know for sure....
Its not really the boost that will kill your engine but the torque, howvever if your gauge is not being exceeded in 3rd or 4th at WOT then you should be ok....
The T5 engines are well abusable and i would think that 330bhp is not out of range without having to open the engine up....The problem would be the gearbox, especially if its auto....
There is nothing Chavi about a strutt brace, it is a necesary piece of kit for T5 owners....

Cheers
Jod

Jod T5
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 18:41
Yes the cabletied object is a BCS....
Cheers
Jod

Jod T5
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 18:44
Perhaps you could do another picture of the bottom one, that looks interesting....
Cheers
Jod

850 Turbo Hearse
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 18:49
Its not really the boost that will kill your engine but the torque, howvever if your gauge is not being exceeded in 3rd or 4th at WOT then you should be ok....
The T5 engines are well abusable and i would think that 330bhp is not out of range without having to open the engine up....The problem would be the gearbox, especially if its auto....
There is nothing Chavi about a strutt brace, it is a necesary piece of kit for T5 owners....

Cheers
Jod

Its not being exceeded as far as I can tell, it appears to only be going about half way to two-thirds of the way across the scale.

Lucky for me, its a manual.

Thanks for the advice so far. When I pop the boost gauge on it, what sort of pressures should I be seeing for a safe increase? will the ECU be able to keep up with all this?

850 Turbo Hearse
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 18:52
Perhaps you could do another picture of the bottom one, that looks interesting....
Cheers
Jod

that bottom picture? thats the top of the bleed valve- I thought that the logo or make would give one of you an indication of setting/ quality/ proximity to roadside armageddon. It appears to say TD.

or did you mean something else?

Jod T5
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 18:54
Its not being exceeded as far as I can tell, it appears to only be going about half way to two-thirds of the way across the scale.

Lucky for me, its a manual.

Thanks for the advice so far. When I pop the boost gauge on it, what sort of pressures should I be seeing for a safe increase? will the ECU be able to keep up with all this?

TBH it seems you running a stock set up tbh, in view of the positioning of the BCS, i would expect the previous owner ran a Manual boost controller instead of the BCS.....
I would plumb in a Boost gauge, i would expect you to IRO 9-10psi.....
Cheers
Jod

PNuT
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 18:55
is it me or is the bottom half of the airbox still there?

Jod T5
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 19:00
that bottom picture? thats the top of the bleed valve- I thought that the logo or make would give one of you an indication of setting/ quality/ proximity to roadside armageddon. It appears to say TD.

or did you mean something else?

I was more interested in the plumbing of said item..I know a *little* about bleed valves and if as i suspect this is connected between the BCS and the actuator arm then this could well cause a spiking effect.....Bleed valves are generally not a good idea, unless they are fitted and set up by someone who knows what they are doing......There is a difference between a bleed valve and a Manual boost controller btw...
Cheers
Jod

PNuT
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 19:00
looks like its running the standard BCS (on the turbopipe) & some kind of mbc/bleedvalve on the engine steady bar

850 Turbo Hearse
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 19:01
TBH it seems you running a stock set up tbh, in view of the positioning of the BCS, i would expect the previous owner ran a Manual boost controller instead of the BCS.....
I would plumb in a Boost gauge, i would expect you to IRO 9-10psi.....
Cheers
Jod

so, once the boost gauge is fitted, can i 'turn up' the bleed valve to increase the boost? and if so, what sort of boost can i take it up to safely (assuming the ECU can keep with the fuelling using this set-up)?

850 Turbo Hearse
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 19:05
I was more interested in the plumbing of said item..I know a *little* about bleed valves and if as i suspect this is connected between the BCS and the actuator arm then this could well cause a spiking effect.....Bleed valves are generally not a good idea, unless they are fitted and set up by someone who knows what they are doing......There is a difference between a bleed valve and a Manual boost controller btw...
Cheers
Jod

forgive me, im not that bright- is what were saying is that its all wrong? or likely to be broken? or that its been modified for no reason or to no effect?

850 Turbo Hearse
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 19:10
is it me or is the bottom half of the airbox still there?

blimey, I dont know. should it be? would i like it to be?

PNuT
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 19:13

i was just a bit confused assuming its there as to why someone would remove the top & not the bottom.... as it serves no purpose that i can think of....

850 Turbo Hearse
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 19:15
i was just a bit confused assuming its there as to why someone would remove the top & not the bottom.... as it serves no purpose that i can think of....

Since its early and no one wants to see a grown man cry, shall we just all agree to pretend that its a positive boon and probably worth 500 BHP?

Jod T5
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 20:35
forgive me, im not that bright- is what were saying is that its all wrong? or likely to be broken? or that its been modified for no reason or to no effect?
Firstly you need to establish what the contraption is attached to the engine stay (missed it before, cheers Mark), i would take it off and unscrew the the top untill it comes off. if a ball bearing and spring come out then you have a MBC if nothing comes out you have a bleed valve....
I would then connect the pipe (check first if it long enough) that comes from the BCS to the Mbc/bleed, to where to other pipe (that you have taken off MBC/bleed) attaches to....I doubt it is a MBC as why have the BCS pumbed in?.....
Maybe you can get a better picture showing the destinations of the pipes from, said contraption.....
If it is a bleed valve i would chuck it away and invest in a manual boost controller and boost gauge and AFR meter..Maybe consider a Adjustable fuel regulator if you opt for the latter....
Alternatively i think Don Norchi is still knockiing out the MTE280 Maps for under £300 so that would sort you out well without the need for all the bolt ons.....
I doubt, being where you are (albeit a uncalibrated scale) on the dash gauge you are likely to be doing terminal damage to your car...My needle goes well past the end of the scale in the winter and with 190k under the belt she loves it....
Cheers
Jod

Jod T5
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 20:37
Yes it should be there, it is a special tray, designed to carry the indian take away home, the engine heat keeping it warm.....
Another inovative Volvo design.....
Cheers
Jod

johntheace
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 23:05
lol @ jod used for indian

PNuT
Thursday 14th August 2008, 08:30
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=1762

it looks very much like this....

Jod T5
Thursday 14th August 2008, 10:38
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=1762

it looks very much like this....

Despite what PFS may claim i am sure this is a bleed valve, not a MBC..There was a thread IIRC on the Voc site concerning this item......

Cheers
Jod

PNuT
Thursday 14th August 2008, 15:48
Despite what PFS may claim i am sure this is a bleed valve, not a MBC..There was a thread IIRC on the Voc site concerning this item......

Cheers
Jod

i know.... it even says in the description it bleeds of air....

My T5
Thursday 14th August 2008, 19:43
Hi,welcome to the forum.Strut braces arnt chavvy,they were fitted to some cars as standard.My old 850r had one as standard and tbh im suprised yours hasnt got one.

Alan M
Thursday 14th August 2008, 22:10
Yep it looks like a bleed valve inbetween the BCS and turbo.

LesRED850R
Friday 15th August 2008, 07:23
850 R s did not have strut brace standard , it was a Volvo part as an add on.

850 Turbo Hearse
Monday 18th August 2008, 13:46
Well, the strut brace is on - fitted like a dream, nothing is ever that easy. I was sure I'd have to file out a hole or something. I also tidied up some of the engine bay plumbing so the air filter isn't chewing through the positive lead on the battery any more.

I also plumbed in a boost gauge with a scale in Bar so I can have a play with the bleed valve. I realise bleed valves aren't the most sophisti... soffistikat... elegant solution to playing with the boost but it's there and I'm lazy. How many Bar should I go up to before having to change anything else?

Alan M
Monday 18th August 2008, 17:38
You can run up to 14 psi before you start to hit the ecu and engine protection system which shows as a fuel cut. It feels like a kick in the gut if your accelerating hard and it rears its head.

850 Turbo Hearse
Wednesday 20th August 2008, 10:20
Thanks Alan, I'll go have a play...