PDA

View Full Version : Metalic "sqeek" on engine shut off

D5 Stunt Man
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 11:50
I've recently noticed that when I turn the engine off on my S60 D5, there seems to be a metallic sqeek.

Its almost like the noise you get with a car with a fan belt slipping, but the noise only sounds for a short burst.

The other thing that happens, is the whole car seems to shake more than it should when you shut the engine off.

My initial ideas as to what these symptoms are is perhaps something to do with the timing belt for the metallic noise and the engine mounting (which is being replaced today) for the whole car shaking.

Has anyone else got any ideas?

S60-MBS
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 15:00
its probably the aircon clutch ..

D5 Stunt Man
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 15:43
its probably the aircon clutch ..

Can it be replaced and if so cheap or bend over time?

S60-MBS
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 15:49
think some folk have repaired thiers just cant remember names...SW Autos done some repiars for few folk too

readview
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 18:16
Before spannering bits off try removing the auxillary belt and run the engine briefly and switch off and see if the noise is still there.If it is still present then you can discount any of the components that run off that belt and start looking elsewhere.The only small problem may be that the car will flag an alternator fault into the memory and may bring a fault light on which would have to be reset to make it go away.

D5 Stunt Man
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 19:44
Dont fancy a trip to dealer just for them to press a button to reset a light! Thankfully no one has mentioned timing belt so I guess its not that.

Any one got any ideas on the car shaking on shut off?

readview
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 21:02
Check the engine mountings first,the lower front commonly fails.If you sit in the car with the bonnet fully open and engine running,engage a gear and gently let the clutch up until it starts to bite,observe the movement of the engine as the clutch bites,if it moves back a lot or if your hear a noise as it moves then you have a failed mounting.This is not a substitute for a thourough visual check but it's usually a good indicator.

D5 Stunt Man
Thursday 14th August 2008, 09:31
Check the engine mountings first,the lower front commonly fails.If you sit in the car with the bonnet fully open and engine running,engage a gear and gently let the clutch up until it starts to bite,observe the movement of the engine as the clutch bites,if it moves back a lot or if your hear a noise as it moves then you have a failed mounting.This is not a substitute for a thourough visual check but it's usually a good indicator.

Thanks, that sounds like a good tip, and the lower mounting is fairly cheap too!