PDA

View Full Version : Tracs

Pandamedic
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 01:17
Now i've had my v70 for about 2 years now and i'm confused about the TRACS... Basically i haven't got it!

My V70 has got the winter pack on it. So i think. It's got the headlamp washers and the heated seats. As part of that i thought it was also ment to come with TRACS when i looked at a brouchure ages ago.

I dont have the tracs button on the dash and was wondering why my v70 was missing the tracs.

Anyone got a clue about this as i thought everyone had it on there v70s?

Redbrick
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 01:53
TRACS is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Alan M
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 08:31
TRACS is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

:stupid:He aint wrong, there you wont miss it.:stupid:

Filterlab
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 08:48
Doesn't really seem to do anything in particular, just occasionally it flashes on the dashboard without having any noticeable affect.

As useful as a wool condom.

siamblue
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 10:17
But if he has the winter pack then he should have tracs too,
Unless it is a 00 car then it will be STC instead,

Simon i might have a spare TRACS switch here, i can send it up to you with the load cover,

Gary.

Gary

Pandamedic
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 14:25
not like i've needed it, but i'm just thinking if i should have it where is it! It's like say buying a car with a spare wheel and them not giving it you.

It's a T reg 1999 model. Cheers for the offer of a switch, but will that do anything? Guess i'll have to pull the blank out from the dash and see if the wires are there and if it's connected to anything

siamblue
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 14:37
Hi It should have Tracs, all the late t5's i have known all have the TRACS or STC,
The wires will be there too Simon as 70series are prewired, you can't go wrong as the switches on the lower dash have all different plugs,

Gary.

Pandamedic
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 00:01
Ok, cheers Gary, bung it in and i'll see what happens.

LesRED850R
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 12:43
On the earlier 850R the TRACS button when off will give you full power in the wet/slippery conditions and i am having a ball in our lovely RAIN [ big drought here ] and slipping and spinning !! It takes the " NANNY " off and lets you use the car and your experience , so i am sad that they took that option away ....Although the offer of a TRACS swtch should restore that privilege to you , so go for it... where could you put it ....mmmmm..

Redbrick
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 16:26
On the earlier 850R the TRACS button when off will give you full power in the wet/slippery conditions and i am having a ball in our lovely RAIN [ big drought here ] and slipping and spinning !! It takes the " NANNY " off and lets you use the car and your experience , so i am sad that they took that option away ....Although the offer of a TRACS swtch should restore that privilege to you , so go for it... where could you put it ....mmmmm..

There you have it, definitive proof that the Australian version of TRACS is a highly advanced traction control system able to alter engine mapping. Strange then that its UK counterpart was only active under 15mph using the ABS sensors to detect a spinning wheel and then applying said brake to stop the spin.
If I'd have known it was so advanced I would never have wasted all that time and money fitting Racelogic Traction control to my 855R.... lol

You been on the XXXX Les? :)

Pandamedic
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 21:15
in the rain, my wheels can spin like made when setting off, and there are times when setting off from the lights on a hill is a nightmare, the tyres go spiney and the car goes no where. It is a rather steep hill!

Pandamedic
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 23:20
So am i getting this right. I just take the blank out the dash where everyone elses tracs switch is (next to the heated mirror and switch of the trip computer) and plug the tracs switch into there and the wiring and it all should work. That's it? As simple as just connecting a switch to it??!!

Tomcat
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 23:30
Not if it's not fitted it's not, it's usually built into the ABS pump, so , if it's not the right pump then it won't work.

Pandamedic
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 23:49
i thought so. How do i go about finding out, as the car was ment to have the winter pack on it

Rufe
Thursday 14th August 2008, 09:43
I couldnt say if the winterpack on those cars automatically had TRACS or not, i will perfectly honest and say that i dont think they did but i may be wrong and cant find any info to say either way.

if you didnt have it fitted then as a minimum you would have to change the brake control unit (not cheap) and the hydraulic unit, (not cheap) a new master cylinder and a dash switch of course, and i dont know but i would guess there would have to be something else involved once these were fitted, but even if that was all that was involved the new parts there is the best part of 2 grand there. For what would be involved it is not worth it in my opinion, and like many others i generally have my STC switched off most of the time.

Pandamedic, if you want to you can send me your registration number and i will try to find out what spec it had from the factory.

Simon

T-5HAUN
Saturday 30th August 2008, 01:53
I really wouldnt bother with it to be honest, the first post about the chocolate teapot was spot on, its totally and utterly useless. If your ABS is working then I'd count yourself lucky and leave it well alone!!
Shaun

mexybhouy
Saturday 30th August 2008, 02:41
only really comes into it's own in 4wd machines! best to enjoy the Torque Steer and smile at the tread on your tyres deminishing before your very eyes m8!!!!!!!!!!!!!