PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Gear issue

Darren
Monday 11th August 2008, 12:31
Hi

Have a 99' manual 70 T5 (100k mileage) which has started to give me a problem in engaging the reverse gear. Some times its fine and there is no issue, then on other days it will not engage!

I don't know if any other member has had a similar experience or if anyone can shed any light on the matter, I'd certainly be very grateful for any advice.

Many thanks

Filterlab
Monday 11th August 2008, 12:57
Interesting problem as the reverse gear has a synchron and should just drop in. You could try the age old trick that's used for non-synchron reverse gears; shift to first and then immediately engage reverse.

readview
Monday 11th August 2008, 19:37
Hi,clutch drag is the most common cause of this symtom and usually shows in reverse initially and then graduates to being a problem in first and second.Can be caused by the clutch plate sticking on the splines or the concentric slave cylinder/release bearing assembly getting a bit "lazy".The other alternative is the selector cables being stretched and not moving the gearbox levers as they should.Gearbox internal faults though not unheard of are far less common.

Vikingxl
Monday 11th August 2008, 20:51
My V70 did it from the dy i bought it to the day i sold it and never got any worse it was just a little temperamental like has been said shirt to first then back to reverse and it will just drop in.

lutonmatt
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 21:20
as the rest said i would say its the clutch going or the slave not pressing down as it used to can last for a long time yet
mine knocks in reverse but mines a auto have been told by a mate who works a volvo its the box nothing i can do will last till when ever i sell the car next year or so

cegc70t
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 21:59
My c70 does it from time to time! it is a little anoying but double clutch select first then a little brute force does the trick for mine!!

Cubes
Friday 15th August 2008, 14:12
I have the same prob with my C70 almost every time. Popping it into 4th before reverse does the trick.

mexybhouy
Friday 15th August 2008, 23:50
Best thing is to allways go foward and never go back!! sorry could'nt resist!!! who said Autos were Sh-te????????? at least with them youre either ££££ed, or your completely ££££ed!!!!!!!!!