PDA

View Full Version : Changing the oil in m y S60 D5

D5 Stunt Man
Saturday 9th August 2008, 09:14
I'm looking to change the oil in my recently purchased S60 D5 (03 plate) and was wondering if anyone has done the same.

Is the oil filter easy to get to and would it be a fairly straight forward DIY job?

S60-MBS
Saturday 9th August 2008, 19:59
Oil filter is a very easy ,you will need a 36mm nut to remove cover ..when installing new filter just make sure its snapped in properly.out of curiosity what oil are you using?

D5 Stunt Man
Saturday 9th August 2008, 22:11
Oil filter is a very easy ,you will need a 36mm nut to remove cover ..when installing new filter just make sure its snapped in properly.out of curiosity what oil are you using?

36mm nut? Do you mean socket?

Oil? Not sure yet.

Alledgedly Volvo recommend 5w-30 as standard protection and 0w-30 as premium protection. To be fair I can't see that there will be that much in it except for the price difference!

On the opie oils website you can buy enough 5w-30 oil for a complete oil change along with 1ltr for top up.

I would deffo use OEM Volvo oil filter though.

Redbrick
Sunday 10th August 2008, 10:58
Oil filter is the easiest to get to on any car I've owned. You can even change it without draining the oil.

Oil should be ACEA B4 or the higher B5. I use a fully synthetic 0-30 B5.

I always change the sump plug 'O' ring when I do mine.

Capacity allegedly is 6.5 litres but I've never managed to get more than 5.5 litres in mine!

S60-MBS
Sunday 10th August 2008, 16:17
oops i meant socket lol..

D5 Stunt Man
Sunday 10th August 2008, 17:08
Oil filter is the easiest to get to on any car I've owned. You can even change it without draining the oil.

Oil should be ACEA B4 or the higher B5. I use a fully synthetic 0-30 B5.

I always change the sump plug 'O' ring when I do mine.

Capacity allegedly is 6.5 litres but I've never managed to get more than 5.5 litres in mine!

Thanks, thats reassuring for when I attempt to do it myself!

oops i meant socket lol..

I thought so

Thanks chaps.

Rufe
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 15:08
are you using a genuine oil filter? if so here is the price from us for the oil filter and drain plug washer (volvo do recommend you change this)

OIL FILTER & DRAIN PLUG WASHER:
P/n’s: 8692305; 977751
Volvo Total Price: £10.35 including vat
Our Price: £7.42 including vat plus postage
Postage: £1.96 Royal Mail 2nd class recorded delivery
Availability: In Stock

Simon

D5 Stunt Man
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 15:41
I will deffo use OEM filter (from you)