PDA

View Full Version : Coughing and spluttering?

tomtyres
Friday 8th August 2008, 23:16
Hi,
I've just been on holiday in the 850 t5 and it was great!
We covered about 500 miles without a hitch.
But i noticed yesterday, when i give it some beans in 3rd or 4th, it coughs and bangs on full boost?

I have tweaked certain things-
Bleed valve = 15psi,
3in turbo back exhaust system,
Powertech Cone filter,
Hks dump valve (proper one!)

I also noticed a strong smell of petrol when i floored it also?

Any help would be great as i;ve booked some track time at Brands Hatch on Sunday!!! :(
Cheers, Tom.

CONDYBOY
Friday 8th August 2008, 23:18
Check fuel lines and fuel pump, I think this has been mentioned in another thread somewhere. can you get any codes read?

tomtyres
Friday 8th August 2008, 23:24
I'm changing the fuel filter tomorrow, also gonna check all fuel lines, clean and check plug gaps, clean MAF, blow out air filter, change oil and check codes on reader at work!

Will also check emmisions, inside of exhaust pipe seems very sooty, almost like a diesel???

Alan M
Saturday 9th August 2008, 12:07
I'm changing the fuel filter tomorrow, also gonna check all fuel lines, clean and check plug gaps, clean MAF, blow out air filter, change oil and check codes on reader at work!

Will also check emmisions, inside of exhaust pipe seems very sooty, almost like a diesel???

Our cars can use a little oil so the sooty deposits on your exhaust may just be normal use. Have you checked or are you able to check your fuel rail pressure? A strong smell of petrol may be down to a perforated fuel pressure regulator diaphragm and this could be causing the popping as unburnt fuel may be entering then igniting on exiting the exhaust. Being able to read your fuel trim codes in real time while driving willl help as you will be able to see the live data.

Jod T5
Monday 11th August 2008, 13:42
Hi
I notice you have a 3" down pipe and cat back exhaust (presumably there is a cat)..
May i ask where this came from and the cost please...
Thankyou
Cheers
Jod

Jod T5
Monday 11th August 2008, 13:43
Hi,
I've just been on holiday in the 850 t5 and it was great!
We covered about 500 miles without a hitch.
But i noticed yesterday, when i give it some beans in 3rd or 4th, it coughs and bangs on full boost?

I have tweaked certain things-
Bleed valve = 15psi,
3in turbo back exhaust system,
Powertech Cone filter,
Hks dump valve (proper one!)

I also noticed a strong smell of petrol when i floored it also?

Any help would be great as i;ve booked some track time at Brands Hatch on Sunday!!! :(
Cheers, Tom.

When was the last time the plugs were changed..?
Cheers
Jod

tomtyres
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 23:20
Hi Jod,
We made the exhaust sys at work, we have access to a decent welder and grinders and things!
I changed the plugs about 3 months ago, NGK platinum i think.

BUT, the main problem is the turbo, because it's f@cked!
Will by replacing that first methinks!

Alan M
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 10:15
I will have a 15g up for grabs when my new one goes on the car, it's covered 100k off a 96 model engine and works fine, no boost or smoke issues. I am changing it for a different size. It may be about 3-4 weeks though if your interesed or anyone else is.

Niles
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 10:44
me thinks spark plug gaps, mine are set @ .65 & non coughs or splutters on my car.