PDA

View Full Version : I Think Me Clutch is Buggered

Dangerous Dave
Friday 8th August 2008, 22:50
Did my clutch last August (I think, was last year anyways), but now its slipping when accelerating in 2nd(ish) and 3rd (a lot). So thats just over a year.

Has anyone else had a clutch last that short a time?

My car weighs more than a standard 850 due to the rear axle/awd transmission (2.1 ton unladen), so the clutch must take a bit of extra punishment. Does anyone know the difference between the clutches? (i.e. T5 engine clutch or an R clutch (if there is a difference) and an awd clutch) as I know that the awd clutch is a different part no. to the NA 850 and T5 850, etc.

Of course it could be the oil seal has gone and leaking oil all over it. Is there any easy way to tell this?

Any help much appreciated

CONDYBOY
Friday 8th August 2008, 23:25
Take the bell housing off. because of the extra power required the awd clutch should be better than the other two imo.

readview
Friday 8th August 2008, 23:42
Easy way to check for crank rear seal failure is just have a look underneath,they always start to leak oil from the bellhousing/engine mating faces.If it has gone it should be quite apparent.Rear seal failure seldom affects the clutch though,as the oil tends to stay on the back of the flywheel and runs down without getting to the other side.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 8th August 2008, 23:50
Had it on the ramps on Wednesday and there was no oil leaking from the drain on the bottom of the bellhousing, just a lot of black dust (explains it all I guess)

Alan M
Saturday 9th August 2008, 07:54
You could always compare an 850 T5 clutch against your old one to see if it would fit. If the AWD one is only going to last a year it may be worth trying one. Did you fit a whole kit or just part of if?

powernut
Saturday 9th August 2008, 08:56
im havin a simlar clutch probs too,,,im getting stiff gear changers,and it has free play bit like when a engine mount fails,(i.e when uput the car in gear u can rock the car a good 3inch b4 the engine moves,)and when the clutch is at its biting point it makes a horrid shudder and a sharp squeek ,like metal to metal ,so im assumeing my friction plate springs are bugggard and riviots are wearing into thepressure plate ,only odd thing it isnt slipping ,,but the horrid,noise ,free play and bad gear change is getting to be a dam nightmare ,,,when i get mine out ill get some sizers to compair it may help you ,,let us know how things go...,mind only good thing ,i dont have to take the subframe off to get the gearbox out ,,i designed it a difernert way to save stress and time ..

freaky fingers
Saturday 9th August 2008, 08:59
I am speaking with " I think I heard this" overtones

Am I right in saying plod when using manual petrol t5's, upgrade the clutch's by putting a diesel car clutch in place of the petrol one because they can handle more abuse??

Wombatbomb
Saturday 9th August 2008, 09:13
Yes, I have read also that Plod have used diesel clutches in their T5's.

Loadsamiles
Saturday 9th August 2008, 16:21
I am speaking with " I think I heard this" overtones

Am I right in saying plod when using manual petrol t5's, upgrade the clutch's by putting a diesel car clutch in place of the petrol one because they can handle more abuse??

Directly from a Volvo dealer.

"Yes your car has a D5 pressure plate fitted. The police ran them like that for a few years, but reverted back to standard T5 clutches about 2003/2004"

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 10th August 2008, 22:12
Did you fit a whole kit or just part of if?

I fitted the kit.

Just been down to the local shops, and its getting worse, its slipping lots in 2nd now, and a bit in 1st.

Alan M
Monday 11th August 2008, 10:34
Go for a T5 kit B as they are pretty strong ad can take a lot of torque through them. A friend of mine has a powerful V70 T5 and he tows his trailer or caravan absolutely everywhere with itand I've never known him to change his clutch. He does a few track days too.

Dangerous Dave
Monday 11th August 2008, 11:50
Cheers Alan, I'll give it a try.

Its really bad now, can't pull off easily at all, just slips through the range. I've got next week off to do it, but I don't think I'm gonna be able to drive it for the rest of the week.

Tomcat
Monday 11th August 2008, 17:37
Speak to Rufe for a price on a clutch, quoted me a REALLY good price which I will be taking up as soon as funds allow.