PDA

View Full Version : v70 nsf suspension knock

Bigrobv70
Thursday 7th August 2008, 21:39
hi all my 1999 v70 awd auto has got a knock fron nsf.
now im 90% certain its the strut top (arb links been done) my question is it normally the upper or lower strut top bearing that gives out or do you replace both??
are they the same on awd compared to normal fwd versions?

cheers rob

Torch S70R
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 20:23
looking at doing mine soon, i think the general concensus is to do them both at the same time cos if ones gone then the other wont be far behind :)

Pandamedic
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 21:12
mine was the top mounts. So i changed both. As i look at it, if one side goes, then it can't be long before the other follows. So i'd get them both done if it was me....like your brakes really

mexybhouy
Saturday 16th August 2008, 00:11
Would do both! how far do you think the other components faired up due to the unesessary load placed on them when one component wore out? why strip down again at a later date???????

frodge
Saturday 16th August 2008, 21:39
what are the symptoms which led you to believe the strut top bearings have had it as i have a strange clunking noise when i use full lock , if you put full left lock on whilst stationary it is ok but as soon as you start to move i think the steering moves round a bit more and clunks to the full lock very clunky when parallel parking

Rufe
Saturday 16th August 2008, 22:22
i have a strange clunking noise when i use full lock , if you put full left lock on whilst stationary it is ok but as soon as you start to move i think the steering moves round a bit more and clunks to the full lock very clunky when parallel parking

not saying it is defiontely this, but on the P1 models you need to grease your steering lock stops to keep them from making a worrying noise.

i did mine yesterday, ive done them roughly every 12 months since i had the car but they were bone dry and making a noise again and this cured it nicely.

you need to use very thick grease on these, the first time i did them i used yellow grease from the workshop but i found after a couple of months i had to do them again. the next time i used really thick black grease and they lasted a lot longer then.

worth a go mate, let me know if you want me to get a diagram of them for you, i have seen a nice how 2 somewhere (this is a 2 minute job to do so worth a try i would say)

frodge
Saturday 16th August 2008, 22:42
ok thanks i will have a look to find the how to as i dont know where you would put the grease , as for good quality grease , we use really thick black fully water resistant stuff they have in the north sea on oil rigs and the like so should stay on ok , although it is very difficult to pump into small areas

Rufe
Saturday 16th August 2008, 23:07
cant take credit for this photo,

http://www.volvospeed.com/Pics/repairpics/steeringstops.jpg

click here for source: http://volvospeed.com/steerstops.php

Apply a nice thick layer of grease to the both surfaces circled. You can do this easily with wheels on and car on the floor.