PDA

View Full Version : s80 abs codes must be cleared after repair?

les & reilly
Wednesday 6th August 2008, 14:14
can anyone tell me if the tdc code has to be cleared for it to work again after repairs to abs module?

thanks in advance

Rufe
Wednesday 6th August 2008, 14:25
if you have fitted a new ABS module to a p2 car then it will require a software reload to make sure the car knows its been fitted with a new part (BCM Software - brake control module). This has to be done at a main dealer, or an independent with software download equipment. (By the way if its a second hand unit thats been fitted then you wont be able to do this though, the car wont accept it.)

But reading your post properly, if its the original unit that has been repaired you may be able to simply erase the codes, but we have never done this so couldnt tell you for definite. You could still attempt a software reload to reboot the unit, but this will cost you to try. Its about £40 inc vat for the software, plus whatever the dealer will charge to do this, which will vary from dealer to dealer.

les & reilly
Wednesday 6th August 2008, 14:55
thanks for your prompt reply.

the abs light came on, i done the repair of soldering up some dry joints which were visible to the eye, fitted the unit back and the abs light went out.

but when i read the dtc`s in the dash screen, it says "abs dtc set" and my little hand code reader will only read and clear engine codes, not the abs code which is in the memory on the dash display.

although the abs lights gone out, im wondering if the "abs dtc" code in the memory has to be cleared by the dealer for it to work normally again.

the reason im asking about is because my nearest dealer is 50 miles away, and transport costs if it still doesnt work (ie something else still wrong with it) are going to be £200 return.

thanks