PDA

View Full Version : DIY Oil Change

arongreaves
Wednesday 6th August 2008, 01:04
Im wanting to carry out my first DIY Oil and Filter change tomorrow on my C70 2.0 LPT and would like any advice please that anyone could offer me to make it as easy and stress free unlike today with the plugs!
Where approx is the drain plug situated as i can not find it or will i need to take the engine cover off that protects the bottom of the engine? Also my owners manual doesnt make it exactly clear where the oil filter is situated and wondered if anyone could help me out a bit please, and lastly the new oil filter i have brought i haved opened it and its like a yellow paper filter with a rubber seal included in the box but whenever i have done a previous oil change on any of my previous cars the oil filter has been like a canister type of filter i have found a black canister type of filter on the drivers side near the front of the engine as i looked at it from underneath the car but surely that cant be it as the replacement filter i have got is nothing like the oil filter that is currently fitted.could someone enlighten me please?!

siamblue
Wednesday 6th August 2008, 02:35
The paper filter is inside the plastic canister, you will need a filter strap to get it off, smear some oil on the new o ring, and do the canister back up by hand so you don't cross thread it then nip it up with the strap,
The drain plug for your oil is on the back of the sump,

Gary.

PS Filling of oil is via the 710 cap...

Okete
Wednesday 6th August 2008, 08:13

Don't be cruel Gary!!

Arongreaves - first thing I did was get myself a Haynes manual!!

Rufe
Wednesday 6th August 2008, 10:21
i have found a black canister type of filter on the drivers side near the front of the engine as i looked at it from underneath the car but surely that cant be it as the replacement filter i have got is nothing like the oil filter that is currently fitted.could someone enlighten me please?!

Hi mate

There are two different oil filters used on these cars, a paper insert (which you have, becasue it sits inside that black plastic housing) and the metal cansiter type. I am wondering if you have been given a metal canister type by mistake, if so its no good of course. You should have a paper filter which is about 8cm high and has a total diameter of about the same (78mm approx), volvo part number 1275810.

I would recomend changing the sump drain plug washer too, we supply them with every oil filter, for the sake of a pound it could save you hassle down the line if the old one doesnt seal properly if reused (which canhappen).

When you do the oil change it helps if the engine is warm as the oil is thinner and drains easier and quicker than if cold.

For you to know, your oil capacity is 5.8 Litres and for optimum protection volvo and castrol recommend using Castrol Magnatec Professional 10w 40

Here are the volvo instructions:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/rufe_v6/oilfilter1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/rufe_v6/oilfilter2.jpg

Warning! Hot oil can scald.
Avoid skin contact with engine oil.
Applies in particular to contaminated engine oil.
Always wash off any oil from hands and wash any skin that has been in contact with oil as soon as possible with a suitable cleaning agent and warm water.
When working with engine oil, gloves should be used to protect the hands.

Drain the engine oil
- Raise the car and fetch a container.
- Position the container under the engine oil trough.
- Remove the oil drain plug.
- Drain the engine oil.
- It is easier to drain the oil if the engine is at operating temperature.

Install:
- the oil drain plug. Tighten to 38 Nm. Always use a new sealing washer.
- Position the container under the oil filter.
- Remove the oil filter housing.
[Special tool: 999 5679 should be used]

Remove:
-the oil filter insert from the housing.
-the O-ring that seals between the housing and the oil trough.
Allow the filter insert to drain and then discard it in an approved place.

Install a new filter:
-Clean the housing.
-Install a new filter insert.
-Install a new O-ring.
-Lubricate the O-ring.
-Screw the filter housing into place.
- Tighten to 25 Nm.

Top up the engine oil:
- Lower the car and fill with oil
- Fill with new engine oil according to the following volumes: 5.8L
- Check the level with the dip stick.

Checking work:
- Start the engine and check for oil leakage.
- Stop the engine and give the oil time to run down into the oil trough.
- Then check the oil level.
- Top up if necessary but do not overfill.
- Wipe the engine compartment clean.
- Ensure that the steering wheel and gear selector lever are clean.

Filterlab
Wednesday 6th August 2008, 10:46
Superb post Rufe.

rs_andy
Wednesday 6th August 2008, 11:26

we once caught a female friend of ours topping up her oil level by very carefully pouring it down the dipstick pipe, told her to give me a ring when she came to doing an oil change. :)

Rufe
Wednesday 6th August 2008, 12:10
theres a great tool one of our fitters has for when he works at home (and he does a lot of work from home lol), it drains the oil from the the dipstick tube. saves dropping the oil from underneath. You simply push a tube down the dipstick tube and pump the oil out by suction. pretty good really.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/rufe_v6/draintool1.jpg

(pic isnt his, but more or less identical)

CONDYBOY
Wednesday 6th August 2008, 18:21
That suction pipe is a lot less hassle.