PDA

View Full Version : smoke from dipstick

ICF
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 21:59
as above, could this be the pcv system or knackered piston rings?

marky 76
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 22:04
it normally indicates a problem with the pcv ,,, get it done asap before u pop the seal and start leaking oil

CONDYBOY
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 22:06
I concur with marky

Jod T5
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 22:11
Check your system by placing the palm of your hand over the open filler cap @ idle....If you are getting a good blowback it is likely you have high pressure...Also do you get the smell off fumes when the engine is turned off?..
Cheers
Jod

ICF
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 22:30
no blow back from filler and no smell of fumes in the car however mates have said it smokes if i boot it.

Alan M
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 23:04
A little smoke on start up is not abnormal or when the car is cold. Mine has it when cold and my car is healthy and all parts are new. The smoke when you boot it could be from a number of things that should get checked. It could be rings as it shows when you floor it or it could be the turbo seals or your valve stem seals may need a look at. You can check your bore pressures and they should be balanced.

Jod T5
Wednesday 6th August 2008, 11:32
no blow back from filler and no smell of fumes in the car however mates have said it smokes if i boot it.
if you have neither pressure or suction at the filler cap but pressure at the lower part of the engine then it could well be your PCV system, blocked between the seperator and the rocker cover.....
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46946
I would agree a compression check would be a good start and i would also check the oil and water levals.....
Cheers
Jod