PDA

View Full Version : imiv fitting

MrP
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 13:11
right, i have ordered a imiv kit for my p2 V70.

i got the front install kit, so hopefully i can mount the ipod in the glovebox/arm rest.

can anyone gimme any hints/tips on what i am going to have to go through to get this fitted and looking good.

cheers

D5 Stunt Man
Wednesday 6th August 2008, 22:36
I've just fitted one a few days ago. Piece of piss!

Right here goes.

1. Pull out pen holder (be care full not to break it!)

2. Unscrew air con unit torx screws (the two closest together)

3. Pull away air con unit from radio (connected by spring clips)

Be careful not to yank the air con unit out so much as to disconnect the wires as I read on tinternet that you'll need a dealer re-set! Lay the air con unit at a 45degree angle (just resting on gear knob).

4. Unscrew the two radio bracket retaining torx screws (on mine anyway HU-803)

5. The the complete radio and cup holder should just lift out now. I read lots of articles that once unplugged Volvo dealer will need to re-set or download software to the car. On my 2003 S60 it is plug and play, no re-set needed.

6. Unconnect plugs from back of head unit.

7. I found the most convinent place to mount iMiv was in the glove box. As you are looking into in with it open mine sits on the top so when the glove box is open its not that obvious unless you are looking for it.

My ipod is in the arm rest. Route the ipod cable down the back of the aircon unit and feed along transmission tunnle (remove plastic trim in passenger footwell which runs either side of transmission tunnel), then open arm rest and pop out base. You will now have a view of what I think is to retaining fly bolts for handbrake. You can now pass up ipod cable into arm rest.

8. Route melbus, ipod and power cables to imiv.

9. Connect melbus cable to imiv, then ipod cable, then power. I purchased the volvo power cable which you need a seperate lead (part 9204981)from volvo for. This connects to the green power socket in the back of the head unit and the other connections are the corresponding male plug for the car and another white plug which you need to plug the Imiv cable to. If you purchased the generic cable which you need to splice into the cars power, I cant help you!

10. Connect ends to back of head unit and test its all working. You will hear the head unit whir up into life but it won't turn on till you turn the ignition on.

On your head unit you should see CDC changer. This is the pre loaded firmware on the imov. To get track titles you have to down load the MD changer firmware.

To down load new firmware follow the intructions on the Imiv web site and you will have track titles!

This lot should only take about an hour or two. Once all connected up you won't look back!

Once its all working re-fit head air con unit first (be carefull not to disconnect it!) then head unit.

saufboy
Saturday 9th August 2008, 14:23
Where did you boys get this set up from and how much was it delivered,

Cheers

Julian

D5 Stunt Man
Saturday 9th August 2008, 22:07
I ordered mine direct from iMIV see here: http://www.imiv.ca/cms/

I chose the cheapest UPS delivery and my iMOV arrived in 3-days. In fairness they sent me the wrong melbus cable, but after a quick email they sent me out the correct one free of charge. That arrived in three days as well!

The kit which includes the iMIV, melbus cable, ipod cable and volvo power cable 9to be used with Volvo wiring harness, came to £120.

I got clobbered for import tax which was £20. According to the UPS delivery driver, she told me everything coming in from Canada and the US is getting stung for import tax. The volvo wiring harness (power) is about £17 ish from a Volvo dealer which makes everything plug and play.

All this lot maks the CD player redundant! Just as well cause the one in my Hu-803 is knackered.

Mikesmith999
Sunday 10th August 2008, 07:25
I had mine fitted in my S60 by a local car audio shop for £50 (bandit).
However, the imivis in the cavity at the end of the dash, accessed through a hatch visible when you open the door.

My CD player still works as the Imiv added a CD multi changer channel to the HU.

I then downloaded a software upgrade for the Imiv that gives a Minidisk changer channel.
If you run your Ipod on "MD changer" your HU will display track, album and playlist names.

The power cable came with the Imiv, It is a splitter cable that you plug the existing power source into, then it has two plugs running of it. one for HU and one for Imiv.

MrP
Sunday 10th August 2008, 13:02
mines a birthday present, so i dunno ho much it was.

ours arrived in 3 days via fedex, but with no import duty :)

does anyone else use the second imput in the imiv, i am thinking about connecting a portable DAB radio :)

have the feling this is going to start me on that slippery slope o wanting subs and amps again :D

saufboy
Sunday 10th August 2008, 15:09
Thanks chaps, so is there a simular way of doing it without having to buy from the other side of the water, a product in the uk so to speak??

D5 Stunt Man
Sunday 10th August 2008, 17:10
Thanks chaps, so is there a simular way of doing it without having to buy from the other side of the water, a product in the uk so to speak??

Not that I'm aware of.

To be fair I'd rather buy it direct from the manufacturer as if anything goes wrong or I need any technical questions answering, I can ask the people that make it!

MrP
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 15:50
got it fitted in the end!!

took me 3 hours to get everything back in, cables routed and it looking neat and tidy.

the adapter is in the top of the glove box, but i need to stick it down yet, cables are run along the transmission tunnel and into the arm rest, and i cut a slot to thread the cables through.

the radio/aircon control unit are pigs to get out, i took ages untill i teased it out using more force than i was comfy with.

cables were really use to use, but it took me ages to work out how to get the stereo back in (top of the head unit how to slot under a metal bracket before you push the bottom back into place.

as mine an auto, i had to leave the keys in and ignition on so i could move the gear leaver back in order to have enough space to work, this then rewarded me with a flat battery once i got everything assembled!

anyway, its all in and working, i just have a problem with the aux input being really quiet no matter what i plug in, so i think i'll have a go with the firmware and see if it works better on another source

D5 Stunt Man
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 20:34
got it fitted in the end!!

took me 3 hours to get everything back in, cables routed and it looking neat and tidy.

the adapter is in the top of the glove box, but i need to stick it down yet, cables are run along the transmission tunnel and into the arm rest, and i cut a slot to thread the cables through.

the radio/aircon control unit are pigs to get out, i took ages untill i teased it out using more force than i was comfy with.

cables were really use to use, but it took me ages to work out how to get the stereo back in (top of the head unit how to slot under a metal bracket before you push the bottom back into place.

as mine an auto, i had to leave the keys in and ignition on so i could move the gear leaver back in order to have enough space to work, this then rewarded me with a flat battery once i got everything assembled!

anyway, its all in and working, i just have a problem with the aux input being really quiet no matter what i plug in, so i think i'll have a go with the firmware and see if it works better on another source

Glad you got it installed.

I wouldn't be without mine now!

Someone on this forum posted about tracks recorded in aything but Apple lossless sounds flat on the Dolby headunit.

I dunno about you, but I can't tell the difference between 128kbs and Apple lossless!

MrP
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 09:51
yeah, i set the wifes pc only to use lossless, but i havent tried anything that shes downloaded yet.

is the firmware update easy to do?

D5 Stunt Man
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 11:57
To be fair I crapped myself when I did the firmware but actually its not that difficult.

Download the relevant firmware (mini disc changer for text) and and put the file in your i tunes music folder which is more than likely in My Music.

The firmware file is actually a .WAV file.

Once you've placed the firmware file in the correct folder you should now see it in your i tunes musuc library. Copy the file to your ipod.

At this point it would be worthwhile downloading the imiv owners manual from the imov website. The manual will tell you how to put the imiv into updating mode (I cannot remember!)

Once you've installed the firmware you will then have scolling text for artist & album name and track name.

One thing that is worth doing is numbering your playlists 01, 02 etc as the imiv wil display the name of the playlist you are playing and without it, it won't.

simonc
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 16:13
Just reading through this lot & i am still confused ! I have a 2003 V70 R with an HU803 4 disc in dash player, the car has no sat nav or boot changer. I am quite capable of working on my own cars, just fitted a IPod compatable head unit to my M3 which is great but we are still using a griffin i trip in the Volvo. The IMIV kits seem to be the only ones that will do the job properly, can you use the steering wheel controls, anybody got an idea what kit & leads i would need ,it just seems confusing to me as depending on what is fitted to your car sat nav etc what leads you need. Is the sound noticably better than through the FM transmitter ?

Thanks Simon.

MrP
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 16:23
the sound is superb from what i have played so far, obviously being MP3's your mileage may very depending on the quality of the recording

the imiv website has a wizard on it, so you should just choose the options and it will tell you what cables you need.

i got a front mount kit, with a 200cm cable, apart from the cable you need from volvo (which rufe can supply) everything is there. i mounted my cables in the armrest cubby hole which works well and hides the cable (i had to cut a small hole in the bottom of the cubby box)

the kit is literally a matter of connecting 4 cables up, its just the time taken to disassemble the dash and re-assemble which is a pain

simonc
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 18:03
Looking on the IMIV site it asks whether the car is Melbus prepped & RTI (dvd) what the hell does that mean ! How do i know if my car is melbus prepped ? What is RTI ?

Cheers Simon.

simonc
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 18:09
ok RTI means sat nav & mine is not melbus prepped,sorry !!

D5 Stunt Man
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 19:42
ok RTI means sat nav & mine is not melbus prepped,sorry !!

Dude this is what you need:

http://tinyurl.com/6df7w7

http://tinyurl.com/5z8rln (200cm cable for front install)

http://tinyurl.com/65uswy
Use this cable in addition to Volvo harness - part number 9204981. Order from Rufe.

http://tinyurl.com/5c4dme
80cm Melbus to Hu cable for front install

Or you could just use the wizard here: http://tinyurl.com/5ruw53

I've just noticed that you are in Kent (me to) where abouts?

By the way M3 Evo - Nice. E36 by any chance?

simonc
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 21:00
Hi, yes its a late S plate E36 in estoril it replaced a 3dr Sierra Cosworth that i had before,the M3 is more useable. I'm near Herne Bay.

I'll have a check through those links,thanks.

Simon.

simonc
Thursday 14th August 2008, 00:01
OK thanks i have just ordered all the bits from overseas. Just need to order the power cable 9204981.

Thanks Simon.

D5 Stunt Man
Thursday 14th August 2008, 09:28
OK thanks i have just ordered all the bits from overseas. Just need to order the power cable 9204981.

Thanks Simon.

Give Rufe (Simon @ FRF Motors) a bell 01792 790066, he'll give you a discount. The Volvo wiring harness works out about £17 delivered IIRC. The wiring harness just taps into where the power goes into the back of your HU and allows you to plug the in the power for the imiv rather than splicing into the cars power.

You are only down the road from me, I'm in lovely Medway as in the River Mudway.

simonc
Thursday 14th August 2008, 20:08
When i ordered the IMIV stuff last night it said i would be sent an e-mail of confirmation regarding my order after i paid but i have never recieved any e mail, just wondering if you got any confirmation by email when you ordered online ? I didn't log in & create an account i just went through the wizard & paid for it.

Cheers Simon.

D5 Stunt Man
Thursday 14th August 2008, 23:32
I only received two emails.

One was a receipt and the other was to tell me that it had been shipped.

I've PM'd you Martin @ imiv email address. From what I can gather he is the/one of the main men @ imiv.

Drop him a line and I'm sure he'll sort you out.

Jaseb77
Friday 15th August 2008, 10:11
I have fitted the alternative USASPEC PA11-VOL to my S60 , and it is straight forward and give you all the steering controls etc.

I too wouldn't be without it now. sounds gr8

simonc
Friday 15th August 2008, 13:33
Do the steering controls work with IMIV unit ?

D5 Stunt Man
Friday 15th August 2008, 16:10
Do the steering controls work with IMIV unit ?

They certainly do.

Volume, track and playlist search.

simonc
Monday 18th August 2008, 23:29
Recieved my iMiv unit today could someone advise me the 80cm Melbus cable that goes from iMiv to my HU803, which port does it plug into on the iMiv ,melbus or HU & is their more than one port it can plug into on the back of my HU803,do i use the one for a CD changer ? not removed HU yet so not looked at the back of it.

Thanks for the help Simon.

D5 Stunt Man
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 11:11
Recieved my iMiv unit today could someone advise me the 80cm Melbus cable that goes from iMiv to my HU803, which port does it plug into on the iMiv ,melbus or HU & is their more than one port it can plug into on the back of my HU803,do i use the one for a CD changer ? not removed HU yet so not looked at the back of it.

Thanks for the help Simon.

Right, here goes.

Melbus cable connects to HU port in imiv and in left most DIN connector in HU

Volvo wiring harness connects into the green socket in your HU and the existing wiring loom that already connects into the HU connects into the new wiring harness.

Simon, it really is plug and play

simonc
Thursday 21st August 2008, 00:00
OK thanks for the help. All fitted & working ok,sounds great ! The only problem i came across was my HU803 already had cables plugged in both din's as mine has a Parrot handsfree thing, worked out the other one was a cable going to a boot changer that is not fitted to my car. So unplugged it & plugged in IMiv melbus cable & everything works.

The only thing i have to do is download the firmware as everything reads 99 on display,i am not very good with computers , i have downloaded the manual which does explain everything you need to know but still not sure which download i need as their are quite a few. I have 2 ipods which i use in the cars, a nano & a 60gb one with video but not a clue what gen they are. Can anyone give me anymore pointers as to how i know which download i need.

Thanks Simon.

D5 Stunt Man
Thursday 21st August 2008, 09:41
Simon I'm glad to here all plugged in a working all ok.

Go to the imiv website. Log in and then go to support/downloads.

Scroll down the page and you have all the firmware opitions.

You can filter these options to meet you requirements.

* Select imiv rev 2.
* Select ipod type (video is gen 5 not sure about your nano)
* Select channel 1 (Mini disc)
* Select channel 2 (mine is TV but I suppose it doesn't really matter)

Download the file and then follow the instructions you've downloaded to the tee.

After that you will have scolling text!

simonc
Thursday 21st August 2008, 09:50
Did the above last night & downloaded it into my itunes folder ( as said i am rubbish with computers). When i look in the folder i can see all the files of music & the last one is a winzip file (imiv firmware) but when i hook my ipod up & the grey i tunes screen comes up with all the songs on it i don't see any new download on there am i supposed to ? Sync'd the ipod but will it have picked up the new firmware as i can't even see listed anywhere but it is in the i tunes folder on my computer but doesn't come up on the i tunes thing that pops up when you have your ipod plugged in. Make sence ?

simonc
Thursday 21st August 2008, 10:57
Ok got it as a wav file in my i tunes folder but i can't see it anywhere in my i tunes library, how do i get it across or where should i see it in the library, i'm just looking in the list of songs but the file is not there.

Simon.

D5 Stunt Man
Thursday 21st August 2008, 14:47
Simon in your Itunes library sort track name in alphabetical order and scroll down to find the firmware file.

Once you've located it drag and drop it onto your ipod.

Once in your ipod scroll through your music library and locate the file.

When I updated my imiv, I located the firmware file on my ipod and paused it at the start so it was ready to play. Follow the instructions from here on in and you should be good to go.

simonc
Thursday 21st August 2008, 18:57
Managed to sort it this afternoon & now have text on advanced mode. Set to advanced mode then press the random button & away we go. Sorry for clogging this thread up with stupid questions ! D5 stuntman thanks for your help !

Cheers Simon.

D5 Stunt Man
Thursday 21st August 2008, 19:40
Your welcome mate!

A bit of info I've discovered that you may find useful is in playlist mode where you number your playlists 01, 02 up to 99 etc your Hu will support three displays they are:

- Playlist view (supports 32 text characters)
- Album & artist view (supports 31 text characters)
- Track view (supports 48 text characters)

You can go into your ipod's music library and adapt the song titles artists so when they are displayed half of the characters are not missing when you are scrolling the text.

You might think this is a bit "OCD" but it annoyed the hell out of me!