PDA

View Full Version : Chipping a V70 D5

bigjus
Monday 4th August 2008, 23:51
I have a 2005 V70 D5 163BHP. I recently read that these engines can be chipped and/or remapped to increase BHP and fuel efficiency. How can this be so as it appears to defy logic? Does is affect the engine or any other part of the car? Is there a recommended system that people have sucessfully used? What BHP should I expect to reach after chipping?
Thanks
Justin

Piles
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 07:51
http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?showtopic=3725&hl=

MTE (a very popular choice, at the moment) have just started to do some D5 ecu remapping as it goes.

If you're not sure what ecu remapping (chip tuning) is then have a look on t'interweb, there's loads on there e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_tuning

For more info see don kalmar union.

HTH

Justin
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 08:29
There are hundreds of products out there for the D5's now. MTE have been doing them for about 5 minutes AFAIK, there are plug and play boxes, remaps done at garages etc.

Rica engineering have always been popular when it comes to tuning diesel Volvo's, but do a google search to bring up the most popular. :)

RT MECHANICS
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 19:50
http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?showtopic=3725&hl=

MTE (a very popular choice, at the moment) have just started to do some D5 ecu remapping as it goes.

If you're not sure what ecu remapping (chip tuning) is then have a look on t'interweb, there's loads on there e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_tuning

For more info see don kalmar union.

HTH

Hi Piles

Dont forget you have a Rica ppc from me on your car :)

We are a Rica dealer in the uk :)

Russ
www.rtmechanics.co.uk

Piles
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 20:29
Hi Piles

Dont forget you have a Rica ppc from me on your car :)

We are a Rica dealer in the uk :)

Russ
www.rtmechanics.co.uk

And I'm still extremely pleased with it too mate! ;)

bigjus
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 22:51
Am i right in thinking that whatever product i choose will not harm the car if it is fitted.
how many extra mpg can i expect?
thanks
justin

Tim Williams
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 23:13
Am i right in thinking that whatever product i choose will not harm the car if it is fitted.
thanks
justin

You might want to ask Redbrick about the car not being harmed after a remap. He has had an intercooler go, downpipe, turbo, clutch (or might be 2) and I cannot remember the other thing. I don't know if most D5's suffer with these things going wrong but since his remap they have on his.

After looking at the AFR's on a tuned D5 I would ask the question what EGT's are being seen after the map because the mixture looks to be dangerously rich.

T-5ones
Wednesday 6th August 2008, 20:41
The most popular on this site may not be the best product. Don't follow the heard, ask around. If you can, get to see actual figures on a plot and not just the BHP graph either!

EDIT:

...MTE have been doing them for about 5 minutes AFAIK... Hardly a factual statement, is it?

Rica engineering have always been popular when it comes to tuning diesel Volvo's, but do a google search to bring up the most popular. :)

Google search LINKY (http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=502269)
Even Hamish, former sponsor of this site doesn't like RICA anymore

No, this is not always the case, not all remaps/chips are safe.

I got the claimed 10% increase.

Redbrick
Thursday 7th August 2008, 00:17
As I've been mentioned and my ears are burning here goes:

Bought the car two years ago, had 70K on it now at 120K. 52 plate V70 D5 SE. Ask yourself if any of these expenses can be pinned down to a re-map or just general wear and tear on a car over 100K and 5 years old. I'm not sure.

Intercooler replaced as weeping oil from bottom
Driver Information module failure
New turbo
Split downpipe due to bolt missing form support bracket
New clutch about a month after sport map was installed
Clutch slipping again a few weeks ago but now 100% fine
Powerflex wishbone bushes
New drive shaft as I broke the original doing the above
New front shocks
Front discs and pads

I think I've been unlucky! I don't mind spending money but I think the above list is a little long. The positive side is I have a nearly new car lol.

Would I do it again? Probably would but on a newer car, maybe an Audi or a BM- a car designed to be a bit quicker from the start.

Shame really as it looks good, is very well designed, takes huge loads and eats miles in total comfort.

Justin
Thursday 7th August 2008, 07:56
You might want to ask Redbrick about the car not being harmed after a remap. He has had an intercooler go, downpipe, turbo, clutch (or might be 2) and I cannot remember the other thing. I don't know if most D5's suffer with these things going wrong but since his remap they have on his.

After looking at the AFR's on a tuned D5 I would ask the question what EGT's are being seen after the map because the mixture looks to be dangerously rich.

Which map and from who Tim?

The most popular on this site may not be the best product. Don't follow the heard, ask around. If you can, get to see actual figures on a plot and not just the BHP graph either!

EDIT:

Hardly a factual statement, is it?

Google search LINKY (http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=502269)
Even Hamish, former sponsor of this site doesn't like RICA anymore

No, this is not always the case, not all remaps/chips are safe.

I got the claimed 10% increase.

Well call me old fashioned but i thought i was keeping up the trend.

Just because Hamish no longer uses Rica doesn't mean they are crap. RT, Lipscomb Volvo etc are still using them without issue? As are the other hundreds of Rica dealers worldwide.

Bigjus, you pay your money and make your choice. There is bad out there so stay with one of the reputable companies, ask if your not sure here. I had a sport map on my 53 plate S60 from Rica, I did 8000 miles in 4 months in the car, to say i drove it hard is an understatement. I could get less than 35mpg average with constant into the low teens. I had to do nothing to the car except tyres. Did my Rica remap cause them to fail Tim? Yes it did actually, with a little help from my right foot :)

Make sure your car is 100% running well and up to date on servicing, then go for the remap :)

RT MECHANICS
Thursday 7th August 2008, 18:50

Just because Hamish no longer uses Rica doesn't mean they are crap. RT, Lipscomb Volvo etc are still using them without issue? As are the other hundreds of Rica dealers worldwide.

Bigjus, you pay your money and make your choice. There is bad out there so stay with one of the reputable companies, ask if your not sure here. I had a sport map on my 53 plate S60 from Rica, I did 8000 miles in 4 months in the car, to say i drove it hard is an understatement. I could get less than 35mpg average with constant into the low teens. I had to do nothing to the car except tyres. Did my Rica remap cause them to fail Tim? Yes it did actually, with a little help from my right foot :)

Make sure your car is 100% running well and up to date on servicing, then go for the remap :)

Well said Justin :)

I think red brick has been unlucky needing a turbo etc etc etc BUT what i want to know was the car given a general health check by the tuning company before the car was upgraded :slap:??

Apart from the Turbo (not had to change a D5 one yet) all the other work the car has needed is all items that we at RT have seen go on standard cars so i would not blame the map on the car for these items :duck:

I would agree its not a good list but they seem to be weak in these parts :(

Russ

Tim Williams
Friday 8th August 2008, 00:48

The map I was looking at was Rica, VT, HLM one on a D5.

I think your tires needing replacing is nothing to worry about Justin, just a fact of life if you drive a car.

Justin
Friday 8th August 2008, 08:43
The map I was looking at was Rica, VT, HLM one on a D5.

I think your tires needing replacing is nothing to worry about Justin, just a fact of life if you drive a car.

I guess that would be T-5ones D5 then as i recall he has a Rica remap???

So petrol cars "look" dangerously lean and diesel "looks" dangerously rich, compared with what? Have you seen a stock D5 map?

I'm really not picking a fight here btw, just curious. I know of hundreds of customers with Rica D5's that are remapped, i would also say that they are the most popular diesel remap for the D5. Redbrick it seems has been unlucky with common failures on his so all told, based on my own experiences with the D5, the 1000's i've read about and few that i've seen, including the wealth of the Volvo community, i wouldn't read the slightest into what your saying.

I will stand by the MTE statement too, as AFAIK, they don't have a working remap for the D5 that is on sale, Which means give or take a few, they have been tuning diesels for about 5 minutes :)

Thats not to say that when they do release a remap for the D5 it won't be very good, as most of thier petrol maps are :)

Tim Williams
Friday 8th August 2008, 09:49
[QUOTE=Justin;173642]I guess that would be T-5ones D5 then as i recall he has a Rica remap???

So petrol cars "look" dangerously lean and diesel "looks" dangerously rich, compared with what? Have you seen a stock D5 map?

QUOTE]

Diesels engines, D5 or not work totally differently and respond totally differently to tuning than petrol engines, with a petrol engine if the fueling is increased to bring the AFR's lower the EGT's will lower, the opposit happens on a diesel.

Diesels normally run an AFR of around 14.5-16. Diesel EGT's are critical thats why most well tuned diesels in the States monitor their EGT's. Granted on a lightly driven car it might not be a problem but when pushed hard for long periods the EGT's climb thus causing the concern as diesel turbos are not designed for as high temps as petrol turbos.

Justin
Friday 8th August 2008, 09:55
Correct, but that hasn't answered the question......

lance
Friday 8th August 2008, 13:39
Just to throw another tunner in to the pot DPA does autologic diagnostic remaps and rica. He has been mighty impressed with the autologic maps on the D5 and they are well priced to, not that Im knocking rica as I have been very impressed with there product too, after watching Adams old S60 D5 coming 2nd at Donnington beating a super chipped BMW 530D on the 1/4 mile and 0-60!!

Engineer
Friday 8th August 2008, 16:43
Interesting subject this although I do hate oil burners in general :duck:as you have to juggle the higher torque with lower bhp and rpm limit when compared to the equivalent petrol engine, that said if you want more power generally just pumping in more fuel with a corresponding cool air mass will do it, upping the boost to much is also pointless other than the initial kick it gives as most diesel turbo’s are fairly small which means intake temps tend to rocket the longer the boost is held, so if you're smoking black plumes under full power then your turbo and engine could well be at risk in the long run :croc:

If I was contemplating a tuned oil burner I would go for buckets of fuel, bigger turbo/s if necessary, bigger intercooler and the usual exhaust system mods while trying to work around an 18:1 AFR. But I’m not :shhh:

Tim Williams
Friday 8th August 2008, 18:37
Correct, but that hasn't answered the question......

Sorry I fail to see the relevance of the question, I have seen many Rica tuned D5's so who's the power graph in question is of no relevance. I have just stated what I have found.

All comments made by me have no commercial bearing as I nether benefit or profit from my suggestions

Justin
Friday 8th August 2008, 18:54
Like i said i was just curious, no need to be defensive Tim. I have no commercial or other interest either as i stand to gain or profit nothing.

T-5ones car could be running rich for any number of reasons, not due to the map. Mine smoked badly on a sport tune until i had the panel filter changed. That would have been running rich, can you categorically state that all of the masses of Rica tuned D5's you have seen on a dyno and measured the AFR's on had new air filters and were running 100%.....I think not.

Thats the point I'm making :)