PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best air filter/induction kit???

My T5
Monday 4th August 2008, 22:22
Ive seen the simota carbon one on pfv which i like the look of,BSR ones are another one ive considered,K&N??,or just a simple drop in panel filter???????????? Help me please!!!

chrisRSVR
Monday 4th August 2008, 22:39
If money was no object it would have to be the BSR! but as it is i have to settle for a plain old K&N. BSR all the way bud.

brett craig
Monday 4th August 2008, 22:57
good question to ask actualy ! i'm running a pipercross cone filter on mine which gives a nice look and great noise, but wonder if i'm loosing out on performance and torque by not using the standard airbox ? mmmmmmmmmmmmm........ questions lol

Al115
Monday 4th August 2008, 23:23
I always like the BSR Optiflow setup.

polredt5
Monday 4th August 2008, 23:51
good question to ask actualy ! i'm running a pipercross cone filter on mine which gives a nice look and great noise, but wonder if i'm loosing out on performance and torque by not using the standard airbox ? mmmmmmmmmmmmm........ questions lol

I can say that on the apexi,the boost was reading 0.99 bar(max) with the cone filter,i then tried the standard airbox and i got a max reading of 0.87 bar.Not what i expected at all,so back to the cone filter it is.NA idea what make of filter it is,looks a cheapo but does the purpose i suppose.Paul..

dooby
Monday 4th August 2008, 23:58
Hiya,

I liked the look of the BSR, and I wanted to keep some sort of enclosure around the filter to help against heat soak. However, I ended up with the Simota kit.

I'm pretty happy with it, and hearing the stock recirc-valve coming through it is nice. Be warned though, under heavy acceleration and braking on a track day we managed to pop the air intake pipe off where it joins at the grille.

As we started pulling hot air from right behind the radiator fan the decceleration felt like hitting a brick wall!

You may want to consider how to fix it better - cable ties or a self-tapping screw should work.

Cheers, Pete

chrisRSVR
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 00:08
When in my previous post if money was no object i would have the BSR, what i ment to say is i would have the BMC CDA air box, this is the cheapest i can find one!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-C70-V70-T5-BMC-CDA-CARBON-AIRBOX-INDUCTION-KIT_W0QQitemZ230244303339QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3 286.m20.l1116

abdul
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 00:15
bsr looks good

adey
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 10:05
hiya iv got the carbon one from pfv , it sounds good looks good and my boost is great , when i got the car it had a cone on it but in the warm weather it was a bit slugish , so i hope this helps you out a bit

Filterlab
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 11:05
When in my previous post if money was no object i would have the BSR, what i ment to say is i would have the BMC CDA air box, this is the cheapest i can find one!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-C70-V70-T5-BMC-CDA-CARBON-AIRBOX-INDUCTION-KIT_W0QQitemZ230244303339QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3 286.m20.l1116

Is this a lot better than the Simota or only slightly better?

Slighty cheaper at Europerformance (http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/category_results.mhtml?category=bmccdainductionkit s&car=volvov70&manufacturer=bmc&sub_category=1).

chrisRSVR
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 15:38
Is this a lot better than the Simota or only slightly better?

Slighty cheaper at Europerformance (http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/category_results.mhtml?category=bmccdainductionkit s&car=volvov70&manufacturer=bmc&sub_category=1).

On other cars i know they are a lot better, but i havnt put one on my t5 yet so not to sure, ill do some diggin and find out.

Jod T5
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 16:24
Over the years i have tried several different methods of air flow, including, stock ITG and K & N panel filter, the later two with a drilled air box. I have tried a Fujita cone filter and even removed my fog lights and connected 2 flexipipes straight into the air box....
The cone did give a silghtly better tone and possably pick up but tbh the stock box with a ITG works very well...
What you have to consider is that the t5 engine is not Ram-air...the turbo sucks in all the air that it needs..., it could be argued that the shorter the pipe work between the turbo and the filter the quicker the pick up but in the great scheme of things the difference if small.....
The thing that may well help you is to try to keep the air as cool as possable and protect it from the engine heatsoak. This can be done by wraping the intercooler pipework in some relective heatshield wrap....
The colder the air, the denser the volume, therefore the better the bang in the chamber, to put it basically....
HTH
Cheers
Jod

My T5
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 21:57
Thankou all for all our help and input

CONDYBOY
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 22:25
I use a k and n 57i with a home made heat shield, sounds great.

badger1980
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 23:49
If u were into modifying the bonnet u could fit a scoop on the bonnet to direct air straight to the filter