PDA

View Full Version : Parrot bluetooth install in s60 with Hu-803

D5 Stunt Man
Monday 4th August 2008, 13:39
I'm thinking of getting a Parrot bluetooth kit for the S60, however reading some bits on tinternet I'm getting the impression that it isn't terribly straight forward with the Dolby HU-803.

Has anyone sucessfully installed one of these kits with the same head unit and with minimum fuss?

volvokid
Monday 4th August 2008, 15:00
My dad has it in his S60R and the only thing that’s is annoying is when someone calls you, all the speakers mute bar the center one but it’s not really loud

joesc70
Monday 4th August 2008, 18:53
My dad has it in his S60R and the only thing that’s is annoying is when someone calls you, all the speakers mute bar the center one but it’s not really loud

if this is a problem just dont wire up the mute lead

volvokid
Monday 4th August 2008, 18:59

If you did that then all the speakers wouldn't mute then or would they?
I never wired it an audio center did it.

joesc70
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 12:21
if didnt connect it wouldnt mute anything id take it back and ask them to rectify it most audio places shouldnt have a prob with it if you have already handed over your £££

BlackC70
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 19:03
You need an autoleads mute cable, not just a basic sound on top adaptor.

Can't remember the part number off the top of my head unfortunately.

The parrot has a yellow wire, which is the call sense / tel mute, this has to be hooked to the mute pin on the radio (if one exists) but as I say, in the past I've had to use the mute kit from autoleads with S60s and ph2 V70s...

mhon72
Wednesday 10th September 2008, 02:15

If you did that then all the speakers wouldn't mute then or would they?
I never wired it an audio center did it.

Right, time to throw my hat into the ring.
I installed a MK6100 into my S60 with the HU-803, this is the Bluetooth A2DP music streaming HF kit.
Volvokid, which HF is in your dad's S60R? Sounds like the installer used an ISO adaptor lead which lets the loom from the HF kit plug into the car's wiring.

An interesting quirk of the set up is when the HF is activated it cuts into the feed to the speakers giving the impression of muting the stereo.
However, one of the problems with the HU-803 is the centre speaker in the dash which is amplified directly from the headunit; the other speakers are fed from the external amplifier under the front seat. This centre speaker does not get interupted by the HF kit, therefore you still get the sound from the stereo still playing through it.
Ways around this? There are a few.

There are 2 ISO adaptor (SOT) leads available for the S60/V70/S80. The SOT-073 is for the standard HU-603/650 headunits and the SOT-043 for the HU-803/850 units with the centre speaker.
The experts all say the SOT-073 must never be used in a car with the centre speaker as you'll blow that speaker. The only difference I recall between the 2 leads is the SOT-043 has a bullet connection which you can break to this centre speaker. Obviously this renders the centre speaker useless as it's now off permanently.
I use a SOT-043 in my set-up and have left the bullet connection intact and not had a problem with blowing this speaker.

You could look at installing a mute function to switch off the centre speaker. However, the other problem with the headunit is no obvious mute connection to do this.
The easy way is to fork out a little bit more and get a Tele-Mute ISO adaptor. This looks like the SOT lead but has an extra couple of relay boxes, the one for the Dolby system here is 06-043B and made by Autoleads. Basically the relay boxes will interupt the feed from the headunit to all the speakers whenever the HF kit is activated.
The only problem I found when researching for my MK6100 was this adaptor lead rendered the streaming of music wirelessly from my mobile to the stereo via Bluetooth useless. Music would only be played from my phone in mono rather than beautiful stereo. The Tele-Mute adaptor was only taking a mono feed from the HF kit and sending it to all the speakers. Fine for a standard HF kits for phone calls but not good enough for an A2DP music streaming system.
The third way needed a bit of lateral thinking. Another way of muting the headunit was via an AEM unit (Accessory Equpment Module). This unit is fitted in the rear of the car and allows options such as the rear-parking sensors to mute the stereo when reversing. With this already fitted I needed to run a single length of wire from the AEM to the front of the car to connect to the telephone mute lead on the HF kit and to install a bit of software via VIDA. And hey presto it worked, and the stereo even tells me when the HF is in use by displaying "TELEPHONE."

Hope that helps you.

Incidentally, I've just replaced the Parrot MK6100 with what must be the Daddy of all Bluetooth HF kits, a Bluetouch.
http://www.bluetouch.de
It's a Bluetooth HF kit with great, clear sound, far louder than the Parrot. This HF "side" of the system connects into the car's stereo using the same ISO adaptor SOT-043 leads as previous.
The best bit is the music playback side. I can still stream music via Bluetooth from my phone. I can also plug-in, play back and control an iPod through this unit or any MP3 tracks via SD memory card or USB device. And there's a AUX jack socket for plugging in any other other music player. This "side" of the kit is connected to my headunit via RCA leads courtesy of a Sensolutions MII MELBUS adaptor.

PS. Forgot to add when installing the Parrot kit you have to swap over the power connection leads for the 12V constant and 12V ignition (just unplug the 2 inline fuse holders and reconnect the orange to the red and vice-versa).
For some reason the French wire it up differently to suit French cars. If you don't do this the HF kit will switch off completely when the ignition is turned off and cut off any calls you may still be on. Plus the display won't say "Goodbye" to you.

D5 Stunt Man
Thursday 11th September 2008, 19:25
Great post mhon72:biggrin:

It certainly is not cheap to install a bluetooth kit in a Volvo with Hu-803!

I've been quoted £200 to install one of these kits but I think I'll have to make sure it includes the telemute.

If it does I think I'll pay someone else to install it for all the agg its worth as when you start adding the cost of the kit and the supa dup expensive telemute lead it doesn't work out that much cheaper.

If I do install it myself I certainly will refer to this excellent post:biggrin:

mhon72
Friday 12th September 2008, 01:29
No worries. Sorry it was so long-winded.
If you are installing a bog-standard Parrot HF kit and not one with the whistles-and-bells like the MK6100 then the Tele-Mute adaptor is the easiest way to mute all the speakers.
The regular SOT-043 lead is about £20 whilst the 06-043B Tele-Mute retails anywhere between £40-60. Plus you'll need the small Parrot adaptor to fit this Tele-Mute. It's probably cheaper to mail order. Have a look at:
http://www.nexxia.co.uk
The only other tricky bit I recall was getting all the wiring back into the dash so the headunit would refit! It's not difficult, just needs a bit of thought and some planning. Personally, I enjoyed the challenge and at least I know it's been done properly - call me a control-freak!
If you having it installed make sure you get an all-in price and clear about what they are fitting before they start. You don't want them to sting you afterwards because you needed the "more expensive" adaptor.

Jimmie
Friday 12th September 2008, 10:59
I have 2 6100 system's fitted and dont recommend them(just my opinion)now.
I get complaints that the speach is distorted when you speak into them and fades back and forth.The mics have been shifted around and the external ones are fitted as well now with no improvement.
Any sensible comment's to the probable causes please.

mhon72
Friday 12th September 2008, 16:28
I get complaints that the speach is distorted when you speak into them and fades back and forth.The mics have been shifted around and the external ones are fitted as well now with no improvement.

I think the CK3100 is far a better HF kit than the MK6100.
Even with latest software upgrade which included the ability to adjust the sensitivity of the external mic the sound wasn't great at the other end. Plus the amplification wasn't loud enough - that's why I also re-wired mine through the headunit using the MII adaptor.
No such problems with the new Blutouch kit I've got now.

D5 Stunt Man
Friday 12th September 2008, 20:51
No worries. Sorry it was so long-winded.
If you are installing a bog-standard Parrot HF kit and not one with the whistles-and-bells like the MK6100 then the Tele-Mute adaptor is the easiest way to mute all the speakers.
The regular SOT-043 lead is about £20 whilst the 06-043B Tele-Mute retails anywhere between £40-60. Plus you'll need the small Parrot adaptor to fit this Tele-Mute. It's probably cheaper to mail order. Have a look at:
http://www.nexxia.co.uk
The only other tricky bit I recall was getting all the wiring back into the dash so the headunit would refit! It's not difficult, just needs a bit of thought and some planning. Personally, I enjoyed the challenge and at least I know it's been done properly - call me a control-freak!
If you having it installed make sure you get an all-in price and clear about what they are fitting before they start. You don't want them to sting you afterwards because you needed the "more expensive" adaptor.

So just to confirm, if I was to fit the kit mysen I would need:

* Parrot kit (pref 3100)
* Telemute lead
* Parrot adapter for telemute lead

Can you tell me which connection you need at the back of the HU-803 as I've just fitted an iMiv which utilises some of the connectors which I ideally don't want to interfere with.

Also was routing the cable easy and where did you route them.

mhon72
Wednesday 17th September 2008, 15:19
Hi there,
Apologies for not getting back to you sooner.
The ISO connectors won't interfere with those of the iMIV as that's connected via the MELBUS leads. The only tricky part is packing all the cabling back into the dash.
So to clarify for the easiest install you'll need:
06-043B Telemute Lead
06-423B Parrot adaptor lead for CK3100/3300/3500
Or
06-426B Parrot adaptor lead for MK6000/6100 & CK3200/3400

Have a look at http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_kit_installation_leads/volvo.htm

If you are still unsure call the Autoleads helpline on 01420 476014.
The lady there, Dee, is amazingly helpful and the font of all knowledge.
Hope that helps.

D5 Stunt Man
Wednesday 17th September 2008, 18:51
Hi there,
Apologies for not getting back to you sooner.
The ISO connectors won't interfere with those of the iMIV as that's connected via the MELBUS leads. The only tricky part is packing all the cabling back into the dash.
So to clarify for the easiest install you'll need:
06-043B Telemute Lead
06-423B Parrot adaptor lead for CK3100/3300/3500
Or

Have a look at http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_kit_installation_leads/volvo.htm

If you are still unsure call the Autoleads helpline on 01420 476014.
The lady there, Dee, is amazingly helpful and the font of all knowledge.
Hope that helps.

Sweet:nutkick: thats what I thought.

I reckon I can get the leads and Parrot CK3100 for about £130 from Sextons.

When you installed your Parrot kit can you tell me where you placed 'the brain' and how easy it was to route the mic cable (and where you routed it).

mhon72
Wednesday 17th September 2008, 20:27
A good price if that includes the Tele-mute leads.
The Parrot Bluebox I stuffed between the top of the centre tunnel and the bottom of the heater unit down in the footwell.
The mic wire I ran along the top of the windscreen, behind the left-hand A-pillar and down behind the glovebox.
Have a look at the installation instructions for the Volvo HF kit in the S60 to give you an idea. Just remember to flip the side as these are for LHD.

http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories/ii/vccsMawebTransform.asp?type=html&uid=9984cc54-d29d-4568-9e87-baadb1d822dd&culturecode=en-GB

D5 Stunt Man
Wednesday 17th September 2008, 23:13
A good price if that includes the Tele-mute leads.
The Parrot Bluebox I stuffed between the top of the centre tunnel and the bottom of the heater unit down in the footwell.
The mic wire I ran along the top of the windscreen, behind the left-hand A-pillar and down behind the glovebox.
Have a look at the installation instructions for the Volvo HF kit in the S60 to give you an idea. Just remember to flip the side as these are for LHD.

http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories/ii/vccsMawebTransform.asp?type=html&uid=9984cc54-d29d-4568-9e87-baadb1d822dd&culturecode=en-GB

Not sure where you found that link but thats the one:B_thumb:

BlackC70
Friday 19th September 2008, 16:39
That volvo handsfree kit is a Motorola one, probably debadged... just thought I'd chip in :P

PLayer
Saturday 31st October 2009, 13:00
Hi.
I've got Volvo S60 with Dolby Pro Logic HU-803 unit. I'm going to connect my HTC Touch Pro phone to car sound system using Parrot MK6000 bluetooth unit. I know I should use adapter to do this. If I use:
06-043B Telemute Lead
(as posted before) it give full possibility to mute all speakers for phone calls? And another question: I've got sat-nav in my mobile. Can this system mute car radio or CD player only for voice command for navigation? I'm not really interested in music transfer. Which Parrot unit will be good for this? I don't need additional screens or gadgets, that why my first choice was MK6000. Thank you for help and sorry for multiple questions :)
Best regards

stephenevans99
Monday 8th September 2014, 12:40
Thread Revival for Martyn.....glad mine was already fitted as I'd have given up.

volvokid
Monday 8th September 2014, 13:17
Magic :)

Harvey
Monday 8th September 2014, 16:54
Magic :)

I would guess a software update is required by now SIX years old thread....

volvokid
Tuesday 9th September 2014, 08:53
So they never managed to finish installing this yesterday, they had the wrong interface cable for my car. They said they need a new one that goes down to the AMP is this correct.

LeeT5
Wednesday 10th September 2014, 03:10

Nah Jimmie, that's just your Scottish accent! :biggrin:

Jimmie
Saturday 20th September 2014, 18:57
Nah Jimmie, that's just your Scottish accent! :biggrin:

Gee Lee have you been asleep for six years.lol
Nothing wrong with spikin doric !!!