PDA

View Full Version : c70 not revving

STONECOLD
Monday 4th August 2008, 11:56
can you help????
got c70 t5 2000 v plate, it wont rev past 4000, it's not on limp mode so i've been told and the turbo, cat,timing,lamdas,air flow meter are all working.
the engine management light has been removed as i found out later to my disgust so this car has some issues, spoke to previous owner-he knows nothing what as supprise! only had it a week and driven it once! now it sits on a ramp with a friend pulling his hair out working on it........

Rufe
Monday 4th August 2008, 12:09
possible ETM failure perhaps?

STONECOLD
Monday 4th August 2008, 12:13
etm.. is this the main ecu?...sounds expensive.
but to tell the truth just want it back on the road feel a right prat for buying a possible lemon

Filterlab
Monday 4th August 2008, 12:22
It's not a lemon, it's just requiring a bit of attention. The T5s are complex cars and even a slight fault can send them haywire.

The ETM is the Electronic Throttle Module, post MY1999 they were the ME7 versions made by Bosch and they are a bit notorious for failure. Ebay will usually yield a result but you'll have to snap it up quick as they're popular used purchases - and then there's no guarantee the one you buy will be perfect.

However, there are very few other common faults with these cars. :)

STONECOLD
Monday 4th August 2008, 12:31
thanks buddy, will pass info on to my mechanic and get it checked out. regards stonecold..

Filterlab
Monday 4th August 2008, 12:32
Nay probs, have a look at your welcome posts as I have followed it there too. ;)

BruceT
Monday 4th August 2008, 15:44
It wont rev past 4k when stationary or moving?

STONECOLD
Monday 4th August 2008, 15:52
both,....... have since had it checked (etm) and told it's ok.
it seems to want to die off once @ 4000 (stationary).

BruceT
Monday 4th August 2008, 16:55
When I had my C70 T5 V reg 1999 ETM'd engine

When stationary it would not rev past 4000rpm, whether in gear, clutch down. In no gear clutch or down. I thought it was something wrong but its not.

Yours is when driving too, which is weird.

Just thought id share that

Rufe
Monday 4th August 2008, 16:58

When stationary it would not rev past 4000rpm, whether in gear, clutch down. In no gear clutch or down. I thought it was something wrong but its not.

mine will defintely rev over 4k when stationary (C70 T5 1999 ME7), strange one that bruce, i mean strange as there is no problem when driving.

Filterlab
Monday 4th August 2008, 17:28

The Mercedes CDi engines do the same. When stationary the max engine speed is set to 3000, when moving the limit is 4000 (redline).

STONECOLD
Monday 4th August 2008, 20:08
mines an auto and i heard that they poss limit revs when in neutral, but as i said it does it in drive aswell it just doesn't want to go, it's as if theres a blockage and it's holding back.

Filterlab
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 08:13
Well an auto should never be revved hard in P or N anyway. It's an odd one Stoney, you may need someone from here to have a good look over it, whereabouts are you based?

Filterlab
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 08:14
Get the codes read and see if that shows up the problem.

Rufe
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 08:45
mine will defintely rev over 4k when stationary (C70 T5 1999 ME7), strange one that bruce, i mean strange as there is no problem when driving.

got in the car last night, and thought of this thread, so tried it... and lo and behold it wouldnt rev past 4k when stationary, so forget what i was saying in that quote. you learn something new every day, i could have sworn ive revved it more than 4k when stationary, but obviously not.

BruceT
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 08:51
Cheers rufe!

I did replace the MAF about a month after so was thinking to myself maybe it was related.

Think of it as launch control haha :p

Filterlab
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 08:59
think of it as launch control haha :p

Mmmm, dropping it into Drive at 4000rpm. :jaw:

STONECOLD
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 12:07
i am based in ipswich, suffolk. the guy working on it is an auto electrician. apparently after phone call to him yesterday he's getting the main cpu checked, hope to hear later today. i think we are running out of things to check!...could it be internal mechanics?, personally i doubt it cause it starts on the button and will drive ok just no boost or go in the engine, but i'm no mechanic, just frustrated!!!! will try to get codes for you.
surrey not too far, couple of hours tops, will bear that in mind cheers filterlab.

Filterlab
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 12:14
If he comes up with nothing then it's worth finding someone with a little more experience. The first thing he should have done is run a diagnostic, however if he's doing that now (I assume that's what "checking the CPU" means) then hopefully it'll yield answers. If nothing shows then it could possibly be something a little more serious, perhaps a gearbox issue, but let's not get ahead of the situation. I'm sure a couple of members near you may be able to have a glance (for a pint of course ;)).

rs_andy
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 13:38
If its meant to stop at 4k when staionery and still does it when moving sounds like a problem with something that tells it you're moving.... some kind of speed sensor perhaps?

does the fuel computer work ie mpg etc?

rs_andy
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 13:53
I've done some reading and it seems to me the vehicle speed is taken from a 12 pulse signal from the front wheels presumeably the abs sensors....

do all the instruments work?

any warning lights on?

STONECOLD
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 14:06
he ran diagnostics and got some fault codes that pointed to lamdas but these are ok.
it hasn't got fuel computer (optional extra).

rs_andy
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 14:16
I would definitely have a look at the abs sensors (check wiring and clean), it does have a bulb in the abs light doesn't it?

I'm pretty sure they all have abs.

PNuT
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 14:24
I've done some reading and it seems to me the vehicle speed is taken from a 12 pulse signal from the front wheels presumeably the abs sensors....

do all the instruments work?

any warning lights on?

vehicle speed is taken from the rear wheel on the earlier models.... i guess due to front wheels spinning & giving false readings....

i would personally have a go at PMing *chris rogers* via the VOC forum & see if he can be of any assistance

rs_andy
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 21:17
vehicle speed is taken from the rear wheel on the earlier models.... i guess due to front wheels spinning & giving false readings....

i would personally have a go at PMing *chris rogers* via the VOC forum & see if he can be of any assistance

this is a 2000 car though, just going on vadis saying the instrument panel takes speed readings from the front wheels, either way it sounds like the engine management doesn't think the car is moving....

STONECOLD
Wednesday 6th August 2008, 11:48
it doesn't have an onboard computer unfortunately andy, looking in the book they were optional extra. getting ecu checked at the mo.... see what that brings??

STONECOLD
Wednesday 6th August 2008, 12:05
doesn't have an onboard computer unfortunately andy, looking in the book they were optional extra. getting ecu checked at the mo.... see what that brings??

Adge
Wednesday 6th August 2008, 17:04
Have I missed it or have you tried disconnecting Airflow meter?
Had prob. some time ago; disconnecting and then reconnect lead solved it. OK for year or so now. Dirty connections in switch?

STONECOLD
Wednesday 6th August 2008, 18:23
air flow meter has been checked adge.. not sure about connections though.......will pass it on cheers

STONECOLD
Thursday 28th August 2008, 19:47
at last the prob is solved! low oil pressure caused by oil orifice being blocked by cowboy and batroom sealant (around sump). also some idiot played with vvti and messed it up.
thanks for all advice from you guys who contributed, and if anyone has similar prob hope this can help!

Adge
Thursday 28th August 2008, 22:34
Thanks for up-date. Always useful!

c70goldie
Wednesday 1st October 2008, 17:14
i had the autoelectician out to check codes he reset the light and said it was something to do wiv exhaust some sensors maybe? it only cost 20 quid to read codes and reset light but 2 hours after the light was back on and power has decreased and feels like its hessitating on acceleration almost like its blocked up or something can anyone help please? its a 2000 2.0 turbo c70 the reader he used plugged into the socket under arm rest, obd2 it says hope this is of some use? and its a serious lack of power i went to overtake and there was nothing for a few seconds leaving me on the wrong side of the road stranded for a bit! i have battered the exhaust with a rubber hammer to see if it loosened something to alow more flow but thats made no difference at all, any info would be gr8 cheers!

dave854
Wednesday 1st October 2008, 21:26
possible sensor gone on boost hose? maybe telling the ecu it is overboosting when it is not and cutting the power.

I'm about 30 mins from ipswich and armed with vad*s and code reading software - let me know if i can help

good luck

c70goldie
Wednesday 1st October 2008, 22:35
possible sensor gone on boost hose? maybe telling the ecu it is overboosting when it is not and cutting the power.

I'm about 30 mins from ipswich and armed with vad*s and code reading software - let me know if i can help

good luck
as much as i appreciate the offer im near chester about 250miles away m8! i will get the boost hose sensor checked out those thanks for the input bud.

jer,c70
Thursday 16th October 2008, 00:58
hello i've gota a manual 1998 c70 gt t5 an mine will only rev to 4000 rpm when sat on the spot too. i have been told this is normal due to the rev limiter. if you get the ecu chiped or remaped this will change... it should rev right through to 8000 when on spot or driving...