PDA

View Full Version : rica'ecu on auto box

blackbooty
Thursday 21st April 2005, 22:08
i will be getting the gents at chip tuning to work thier magic on 96 T5 auto in the near future, can any1 advise me on the best option (if i have an option)
the 280 or 304 ponies.
ta.

Andrew
Thursday 21st April 2005, 22:18
i will be getting the gents at chip tuning to work thier magic on 96 T5 auto in the near future, can any1 advise me on the best option (if i have an option)
the 280 or 304 ponies.
ta.

More power is always good - if your car is in decent nick and everything works as it should go for the 304 - if your a little worried about things like turbo or gearbox go with the 280.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 22nd April 2005, 00:29
AT is usually a little more expensive than the manuals when they go wrong. My top tip would be to change your ATF regardless of upgrade, as soon as you can.

Both transmission typre are more than strong enough to take the full stage 1 RICA.

I would read our knowledge section and check Bracers Stage 0 tune up to ensure you get best results. 280 is less rewarding on power but it is less fiddly in some respects as you can still run 95 RON with no loss of power. The full on stage 1 RICA will give more power but the car may need extra work to get the most out of it. Don't get me wrong - it might be just fine, but there is only one way to tell.

If you are at all worried about the box then I have a solution for the tuned Auto's -which reduces the heat stress on the ATF, by the fitting off an additional cooler to the system. PM me if you are interested.

Ultimately the choice is up to you - depends what you want out of the car.
I think the cars are worth taking to the max - making the most of their potential. VT will tell you if anything needs attention on either upgrade. They will be able to answer any questions you have.
Personally I would go for the big one!

glock19
Friday 22nd April 2005, 07:16
I've got the 280, why don't you go for the 304 and we compare notes ? Like Andrew said - more is better and if money is not an issue, I would also go for the 304 so that nothing (no stone) is left unturned....

chriskay
Friday 22nd April 2005, 13:43
I've got the 280 on my 1996 auto & am well satisfied. I think everything needs to be A1 to get full value from the 304. Also, the ability to use 95 RON is a bonus.
Cheers, Chris.

HuskMan
Friday 22nd April 2005, 16:00
I just filled the tank with a full 70 litres at Sainsburys and noticed that 95RON was only 2p more less than diesel and premium. :insane: (88p and 90p)

So I treated the old girl to some premium.

But the tank cost me more than my first car... :eek: a dirty little white Renault 9 with a lorry ding in the right wing and a leaky boot that collected water better than a resevoir.

Anyway, I digress. :smileypul Seeing as the gas is so expensive either way I think the full wack is the way to go - especially if there is this unproven increase in mpg. :eclipsee_

blackbooty
Friday 22nd April 2005, 18:30
More power is always good - if your car is in decent nick and everything works as it should go for the 304 - if your a little worried about things like turbo or gearbox go with the 280.
cheers andrew,was basically after a yes or no on the 304 remap with the auto box.
seems like its ok if box is in good order,which it apears to be.
304 it is then.

blackbooty
Friday 22nd April 2005, 18:38
AT is usually a little more expensive than the manuals when they go wrong. My top tip would be to change your ATF regardless of upgrade, as soon as you can.

Both transmission typre are more than strong enough to take the full stage 1 RICA.

I would read our knowledge section and check Bracers Stage 0 tune up to ensure you get best results. 280 is less rewarding on power but it is less fiddly in some respects as you can still run 95 RON with no loss of power. The full on stage 1 RICA will give more power but the car may need extra work to get the most out of it. Don't get me wrong - it might be just fine, but there is only one way to tell.

If you are at all worried about the box then I have a solution for the tuned Auto's -which reduces the heat stress on the ATF, by the fitting off an additional cooler to the system. PM me if you are interested.

Ultimately the choice is up to you - depends what you want out of the car.
I think the cars are worth taking to the max - making the most of their potential. VT will tell you if anything needs attention on either upgrade. They will be able to answer any questions you have.
Personally I would go for the big one!
again dave,you give an answer i can fully understand.
top marks.
moneys not a prob,box reliability is.
the extra cooler for the ATF and the "big one" is the way forward.
cheers bud.
i dont know what PM me is tho,or how to do it.

blackbooty
Friday 22nd April 2005, 18:40
I've got the 280, why don't you go for the 304 and we compare notes ? Like Andrew said - more is better and if money is not an issue, I would also go for the 304 so that nothing (no stone) is left unturned....
cheers mate,304 it is, and as suggested, we'll compare notes.

blackbooty
Friday 22nd April 2005, 18:43
I've got the 280 on my 1996 auto & am well satisfied. I think everything needs to be A1 to get full value from the 304. Also, the ability to use 95 RON is a bonus.
Cheers, Chris.
ta for the info chris,i always used optimax in my saab so the octain option doesnt really apply.
wayne.

blackbooty
Friday 22nd April 2005, 18:51
I just filled the tank with a full 70 litres at Sainsburys and noticed that 95RON was only 2p more less than diesel and premium. :insane: (88p and 90p)

So I treated the old girl to some premium.

But the tank cost me more than my first car... :eek: a dirty little white Renault 9 with a lorry ding in the right wing and a leaky boot that collected water better than a resevoir.

Anyway, I digress. :smileypul Seeing as the gas is so expensive either way I think the full wack is the way to go - especially if there is this unproven increase in mpg. :eclipsee_
hi huskman,thanks for answering.
economy doesnt enter my brain,its all about fun for me.
its gonna be full whack !
ps. the word "renault" should be outlawd :-)
wayne.

GuyD5
Friday 22nd April 2005, 19:10
i dont know what PM me is tho,or how to do it.

Hi mate, a PM is a Private or Personal Message .... if you click on Dave850R's name-link and go to his profile you'll see a link there to send him a private message. :)

blackbooty
Friday 22nd April 2005, 19:32
Hi mate, a PM is a Private or Personal Message .... if you click on Dave850R's name-link and go to his profile you'll see a link there to send him a private message. :)
thanks Guy.
if you read this buddy-am i using the forum correctly,meaning,do i answer every1 individually as i have been or do i answer collectivly? this is the only chat room/forum ive been onto.
ta wayne.

GuyD5
Friday 22nd April 2005, 20:17
thanks Guy.
if you read this buddy-am i using the forum correctly,meaning,do i answer every1 individually as i have been or do i answer collectivly? this is the only chat room/forum ive been onto.
ta wayne.

Wayne mate.... if you answer each individually your post count goes up far more quickly ... watch the moderators and see how they get so many posts in :wink:

Goof
Friday 22nd April 2005, 20:45
I think I'd go for the 280 version - less critical on the motor, will use 95 RON fuel (prices are rising!), and surely 280BHP & loads of torque will be enough to attract the camera flashes! ;)