PDA

View Full Version : 17" Almathea Alloy Wheels

MattB
Thursday 21st April 2005, 18:20
I'm thinking of upgrading my columbus wheels on my T5.
I currently have 16" (columbus) 205/50/zr16 and am contemplating going for some 17" (almethea) 225/45/17 wheels and tyres.

Does anyobody on the forum know if the speedo will need adjusting and also whether its a costly exercise?

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - but I believe these wheels should fit with minimal rubbing (poss evident on full lock).

:tank:
Thanks in advance...

siamblue
Thursday 21st April 2005, 21:43
Try this you'll need Java to use it,

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

vt5
Friday 22nd April 2005, 01:31
Your speedo will be the same as i have uprated to 17" thetys from standard 16 V70 alloys.

If they are OE volvo wheels on 5 stud they should fit fine but ask Volvo if your unsure.

They will only rub on full lock if you fit 205 tyres like mine have on. but as my mechanic says, when are you ever driving fast on full lock? ...he has a good point.

The car drives lot better on the new wheels and feels alot sturdier, so much so that i doubt i will ever go back to the 16"s. Tyre wear also seems to be alot less, as on the old wheels it ate tyres.

Hope this helps. :)

siamblue
Friday 22nd April 2005, 01:39
Your speedo will be the same as i have uprated to 17" thetys from standard 16 V70 alloys.

Hope this helps. :)

Sorry but i disagree,Your speedo will be reading 3.7% slower,

nikgallagher
Friday 22nd April 2005, 09:09
What about if 40 profile was used instead?

siamblue
Friday 22nd April 2005, 10:11
40 profile will be a lot better for the speedo accuracy,But the ride will be a bit harsher,
Mine was running wheels and tyres that were reading over 7% too low,Which isn't good for your licence.

MattB
Friday 22nd April 2005, 11:30
Many thanks for your help guys - the tyre calculator is really helpful.

Iguess if you drive with the speedo just under the appropriate reading, that you will help save your licence??

Anyway, I'll continue my search for wheels (eBay auction ended before I could place a bid)
:slap:

Thanks again for the advice....

siamblue
Friday 22nd April 2005, 12:25
No probs Matt that's why we are all here,For helping each other and having fun.

vt5
Saturday 23rd April 2005, 21:22
Siamblue....thanks for the correction to my post.

Cant say ive ever noticed any difference moving to bigger wheels in the past, but saying that i am puzzling over mine at the mo cos ive had 149 out of it on the speedo at approx 5850rpm but i was just thinking this morning that was when i had the 16's on.

Since ive had the 17's on, i cant top 135mph at the same revs. The car is running exactly the same power so i cant figure it out.

Ive had it tested on the rollers and there was no drop off in power top end either.......could this be the speedo reading wrong? and if so to that much of a degree?