PDA

View Full Version : to much boost

ikp_77
Friday 1st August 2008, 20:59
can any help how do i turn the boost down on my s70r please thanks

CONDYBOY
Friday 1st August 2008, 22:42
There's an actuator on top of the standard dv. if you aren't sure how to do it get someone who does as you can easily damage teh diaphram inside. not really one for the novice. if you've got vadis it tells you how to do it but unfortunately I can't do screenshots. Maybe someone on here will oblige.
hope this helps.

ikp_77
Friday 1st August 2008, 23:15
thanks i have not got a clue i have just got the car about a week ago was working fine then it started acting up it has the rica remap my mate says its doing the as his scooby at full boost and he killed his car

PNuT
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 04:40
im not really sure what condy boy is on about, maybe losening the wastegate actuator?

do you have a boost gauge fitted?

there is no adjustment for boost as such as its computer controled...

what is your car actually doing?

ikp_77
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 11:38
there is no boost gage fitted and were would waist gate actuator be found the car is loosing power and back fire then gets power and dies again it only this when you put your foot down its ok just when u are ploding along i thought it was the cat at first

PNuT
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 12:28
under the heat shield at the rear of the engine.... it doesnt sound like a too much boost fault tho....

ikp_77
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 18:01
what do you think it could be then am going to take the cat of and run it with out it could it be the cat is cloged up

PNuT
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 18:06
the cat is part of the downpipe on standard & most performance exhausts so removing it isnt that simple...

ikp_77
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 18:06
its been into a garage and he has had it on the computer every thing fine untill i took the lad out in it and then he didnt no wot was causing it its going back into the lad on tuseday to see if he can sort

ikp_77
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 18:13
have u ever herd of this problem before chears

Alan M
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 18:38
Sounds like your car could do with a good service and replacement of some serviceable parts. If you are getting a hesitation then the car pulls you could have a dodgy ignition coil. It could be thatone of the leads are breaking down or you plugs may just need a good clean. Is your car used regularly or has it been garaged for a very long while and being used with old fuel?

PNuT
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 19:48
Sounds like your car could do with a good service and replacement of some serviceable parts. If you are getting a hesitation then the car pulls you could have a dodgy ignition coil. It could be thatone of the leads are breaking down or you plugs may just need a good clean. Is your car used regularly or has it been garaged for a very long while and being used with old fuel?

it could be all sorts, its also been rica'd & no boost gauge fitted! be careful & get someone who knows turbo cars to have a look at it....

PNuT
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 19:49
ikp, were are you located?

Alan M
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 20:49
it could be all sorts, its also been rica'd & no boost gauge fitted! be careful & get someone who knows turbo cars to have a look at it....

It could be loads of things or just one thing causing your problems. As the wise one said get it checked over by someone who knows what they are on about.

ikp_77
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 21:51
hi thanks for getting in touch am going to give it a good look over tomo it seems to act up when you hit 4000 rpm then it looses power and coughs and splutters am sick i had a 2.0l s70 and always wanted a r then seen this 1 with only 85 thousand miles on it and i went for it chears

ikp_77
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 22:08
what would hapen if no boost gage and it has has the rica remap done do you think that the turbo could be fxxxxx chears

CONDYBOY
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 23:14
Could possibly be a boost leak! going from you description just above!
And yes I meant the wastegate actuator in my previous post, talk about pedantic dv wastegate it's the same bloody thing!

ikp_77
Sunday 3rd August 2008, 00:07
chears man we lookin at it tomo chears for input mate

PNuT
Sunday 3rd August 2008, 04:39
Could possibly be a boost leak! going from you description just above!
And yes I meant the wastegate actuator in my previous post, talk about pedantic dv wastegate it's the same bloody thing!

the DV & wastegate are not the same thing atall!!

it could also be a fuel/ignition/blocked cat problem from what is written above!

did the make an me7 s70r?

ikp_77
Sunday 3rd August 2008, 12:11
it is a 1997 s70t5r manual it has a cable

shaun850
Sunday 3rd August 2008, 12:25
hi thanks for getting in touch am going to give it a good look over tomo it seems to act up when you hit 4000 rpm then it looses power and coughs and splutters am sick i had a 2.0l s70 and always wanted a r then seen this 1 with only 85 thousand miles on it and i went for it chears

Sound's like you are blowing the spark out on heavy load / boost.

Can you drive gently past 4k rpm without issue?

With a rica map iirc it will be at the peak of the boost map at 4k.

Try a nice set of plug's, irridium or platinum plugs dont bother with the four prong crap.

You can get through a few sets of plugs with these engines / high boost

lets us know how you get on

ikp_77
Sunday 3rd August 2008, 14:14
thanks for input were is the best place to get the spark plugs i thought they were longer than standard plug chears

ikp_77
Sunday 3rd August 2008, 14:23
yes i can drive it gently up to 4k like i say it only happens when i floor it

jonno12
Sunday 3rd August 2008, 14:27
that to me sounds like its an air issue

ikp_77
Sunday 3rd August 2008, 19:29
thanks for help do you not think it was the plugs then mate

ikp_77
Monday 4th August 2008, 20:40
when the car has been remaped how long does it last for any idea its going back into the garage tomo chears

ikp_77
Monday 4th August 2008, 20:42
how long do the re maps last any idea chears

PNuT
Monday 4th August 2008, 20:52
how long do the re maps last any idea chears

untill someone overwrites it in your case....

ikp_77
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 18:32
the guy at the garage recons it could be the roter arm as it cracked and was missing parts of the cap the had to stay at garage as he did nt get the new part in time wot u reckon mate

PNuT
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 22:02
the guy at the garage recons it could be the roter arm as it cracked and was missing parts of the cap the had to stay at garage as he did nt get the new part in time wot u reckon mate

definately sounds likely.... they are not service items as far as i know so it could have been on the car from new....

would be worth thinking about getting new leads & plugs aswell...

ikp_77
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 22:23
yeah was thinking bout that leads and plugs he going to charge 160 for timeing belt and tenioners fitted how does that sound

PNuT
Wednesday 6th August 2008, 07:28
i think the parts for the job are getting on for £100 so it sounds reasonable! however, i have only ever paid 1 garage any money to do anything for me....

its also worth thinking about the waterpump when you have that lot striped down... they dont seem that prone to faliure on volvos tho so its not the most important thing to do in my opinion(depending on milage)

Alan M
Wednesday 6th August 2008, 07:57
Definately change the water pump when doing your belt. I never did mine the last time around and its now dying a slow noisy death. I think a genuine one off Rufe on here was about £68 quid I think.

ikp_77
Wednesday 6th August 2008, 17:35
had it to garage he saying it is the chip in the ecu that is throwing the timeing out he say to take it to a1 tuneing to get chip tacken of the ecu how much you think am looking at chears

ikp_77
Wednesday 6th August 2008, 17:40
got car back from garage he says the chip on ecu is throwing timeing out when u put your foot down he says to get it took of and just leave it alone how much u think thats going set me back chears

PNuT
Wednesday 6th August 2008, 21:54
dont get the chip taken out!

i would be very very suprised if it was the ECU at fault, they are very reliable!!!

is it a volvo garage looking at your car?

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 6th August 2008, 22:02
Sounds like a garage who don't really care about the customer just the money.

Like as whats already been said 'Stage 0' it to make sure all the basics are ok,then work from there.

ikp_77
Thursday 7th August 2008, 18:08
the lad used to work at mill volvo sunderland and left there and started up on his own i got the feeling he just wanted me and me car out the way no what i mean .A lad told me to take it turbopacs at durham i got there just as they were ready to shut it cos 60 pound to get started on the diagnostics machine am realy fed up with it now

PNuT
Thursday 7th August 2008, 18:16
60 quid! you could have driven to mine for that & i would have checked your codes for free....

BlackC70
Thursday 7th August 2008, 18:20
Plugs, Leads, Arm & Cap - that's wot I'd do first. Make sure you get OE volvo stuff rather than aftermarket stuff that's meant to "enhance" it, as it very rarely does.

Get a boost gauge plumbed in, it's not a lot of cash (£20-30 or so) and will show you if it's the wastegate that's dumping the boost out at a certain pressure (overboosting) or if it's holding boost all the way through. That would give you an idea if it's an air leak, an overboost issue or something else.

It does sound to me that it's blowing the spark out, if you accelerate gently will it go all the way round to the limiter without stuttering? Also, does it do it stationary (ie revving in neutral) or only when the engine is under load?

shaun850
Thursday 7th August 2008, 20:35
Again, and as above

change the plug's and leads mate.

I have had similar issues with two different T5's in the past.

One was lead's the other was plug's.

The extra load/boost from a re-map will show any weaknes in the ignition system quite easily

PNuT
Thursday 7th August 2008, 20:42
The extra load/boost from a re-map will show any weaknes in the ignition system quite easily

especially at 4K.... its when things hot up :D

ikp_77
Thursday 7th August 2008, 21:32
hi there you can sit and rev it stationary its only under load

shaun850
Thursday 7th August 2008, 21:38
Save a heap of cash then mate and change the above.. if it doesnt fix it then you have started a partial service :)

BlackC70
Thursday 7th August 2008, 21:54
hi there you can sit and rev it stationary its only under load

almost definitely going to be spark related - you're blowing the spark out at high revs...

seriously, take £100 out the bank, go to volvo and buy some OE plugs (think they're about £25 a set, but you get 5 not 4) an OE dizzy cap, rotor arm and some OE leads (leads will probably be fairly pricey from a main dealer)

That little lot should see you ok. If not, then it's a large chunk of "what could it possibly be?" out of the way and it's common service parts (excluding leads) that would probably require replacement anyway...

PNuT
Thursday 7th August 2008, 22:01
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=61_147&products_id=2581

will save you a few quid over volvo leads i believe....

Dangerous Dave
Friday 8th August 2008, 21:12
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=61_147&products_id=2581

will save you a few quid over volvo leads i believe....

I've had the leads from PFV, and they're bougicord Volvo branded ones no problems at all with them.

Might as well get the lot from these guys (plugs, rotor arm, leads and dizzy cap)

PNuT
Friday 8th August 2008, 21:16
I've had the leads from PFV, and they're bougicord Volvo branded ones no problems at all with them.

Might as well get the lot from these guys (plugs, rotor arm, leads and dizzy cap)

all my stuff has come from them except my plugs & has been fine! im just not confident in suggesting the other bits are as good as volvo stuff! but as you point out the leads are the same...

ikp_77
Friday 8th August 2008, 21:24
after all this it was a duff plug its got new plugs in now and boy does it go i will get some pics of it on soon thanks

PNuT
Friday 8th August 2008, 21:29
after all this it was a duff plug its got new plugs in now and boy does it go i will get some pics of it on soon thanks

glad it was only something that had been suggested about 10 times ;)

shaun850
Friday 8th August 2008, 23:29
All that for something so simple ;)

glad you got it sorted :)

ikp_77
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 17:01
it took ages for the temp gauge to go up to half way today it only went up when stuck in trafic then droped down again any surgestions mate

Rufe
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 17:11

For the record I sell genuine plugs over a tenner cheaper than parts for volvos online.... work that one out? I cant compete with their non genuine items but i usually find my prices are cheaper than theirs when we are on about genuine items like this -

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=4619

I sell these at £28.95 inc vat, plus £1.62 delivery
(PFV's sell the same ones at £37.22 plus £3.78 for delivery!)

Simon

PNuT
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 17:47
work that one out?

all i can think is PFV wait till orders come in for genuine parts & run to the closest volvo garage & get the stuff from there :lol:& then add a few quid

ikp_77
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 22:11
chears do you do the ht leads ,rotra armsand caps, mate oh and timeing belts mate

Rufe
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 09:17
chears do you do the ht leads ,rotra armsand caps, mate oh and timeing belts mate

Yes mate we are a volvo main dealer and therefore can supply any volvo genuine part.

Simon

shaun850
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 15:32
it took ages for the temp gauge to go up to half way today it only went up when stuck in trafic then droped down again any surgestions mate

That would be your thermostat 100%

Get it changed asap as it will be costing you ALOT in extra fuel.

wegal
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 16:04
Yep thermostat for sure, get it chenged they are pennies but i think its a bit of an arse job cos of all the stuff thats in the way.

Also if i where you if you have changed teh spark plugs and solved the problem it says to me that the car needs a full service, if the plugs have been in long enough to stop working you can pretty much promise that the rest of the service items are shot as well.

Do a complete service and you will notice just how much sharper the engine is. Turbo cars LOVE new oil filters leads and plugs.

Glad it was a simple fix, it can be frustrating when you cant work it out.

ikp_77
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 17:02
how much do you charge for timeing belt and tensioners s70 t5r r reg will my s70 have tensioners chears mate