PDA

View Full Version : adjust accelerator cable tension

96T5Andy
Friday 1st August 2008, 20:24
Hi, just a quick question as I do not have my haynes manual with me..

I wish to adjust the tension of the accelerator cable as it feels as though it could be more responsive and maybe there is some slack...

In the engine bay, towards the right hand side of the block, the cable goes in to a bit covered by a plastic cover. There is a screw thing to adjust tension here / tickover. Would altering this be ok or are there other places that the cable goes that I should be wary of... Also, are there other places that I could adjust the tension?

Thanks

Jod T5
Friday 1st August 2008, 21:15
Hi, just a quick question as I do not have my haynes manual with me..

I wish to adjust the tension of the accelerator cable as it feels as though it could be more responsive and maybe there is some slack...

In the engine bay, towards the right hand side of the block, the cable goes in to a bit covered by a plastic cover. There is a screw thing to adjust tension here / tickover. Would altering this be ok or are there other places that the cable goes that I should be wary of... Also, are there other places that I could adjust the tension?

Thanks

Hi Andy
Accelerator cable adjustment on the later models is a basic proceedure. Remove the cable drum cover torx screw and remove the cable drum cover. Check the tension of the cable between the plastic adjustment sleeve and the drum, the cable should be taut with no slack. If the cable is loose adjust the sleeve plastic nut anti clockwise (right to left) to tighten the cable. Check periodically that the drum still returns to its bump stop postion. At the point the cable is at its tautest and the drum still returns to the bump stop position you have reached the optimum position.....
There is no other method of adjustment. If you run out of sleeve or adjustment is near the end of the sleeve i would invest in a new cable....
Cheers
Jod

pangster
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 10:15
might check mine as well! lol! :)