PDA

View Full Version : 850 t5-r

Filterlab
Friday 1st August 2008, 19:50
This was brought to my attention by Jonno, looks rather nice indeed. I do love the original 850 T5-Rs.

Opinions please. :)

850 T5-R in olive green, 126k (http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/586742.htm)

Tomcat
Friday 1st August 2008, 19:52
Lovin' the reg, think I'd buy the car just for that if it would go on mine.

Filterlab
Friday 1st August 2008, 20:00
The reg plate is very good indeed, although I'd want it respaced correctly as I don't like drawing attention to a car.

Is getting parts for the 850 tricky or are they as easy to find as the S70s?

cameron
Friday 1st August 2008, 20:09
[/QUOTE Filterlab : Is getting parts for the 850 tricky or are they as easy to find as the S70s?[/QUOTE]

There are Volvo breakers all over the place. Theres a couple of good ones in the NW, for example Readview. Theres also one at preston, the name slips my mind though.

HTH, Lee

Filterlab
Friday 1st August 2008, 20:13
What about new parts, service parts and suspension bits etc?

Rufe
Friday 1st August 2008, 20:16
no problems at all with 850 parts from the dealer.

AndysR
Friday 1st August 2008, 20:17
That car has been listed for sale previously and in previous listings it mentioned a corrosion spot to the lower section of the drivers door and an abs fault I think? Might worth checking to see if these issues have been attended too.

Filterlab
Friday 1st August 2008, 20:20
no problems at all with 850 parts from the dealer.

Thanks Rufe, always good to know. Are Volvo continuing to make the parts indefinitely or is there a point at which they'll stop?

That car has been listed for sale previously and in previous listings it mentioned a corrosion spot to the lower section of the drivers door and an abs fault I think? Might worth checking to see if these issues have been attended too.

Many BIG thanks Andy, I've emailed the chap so if I go and have a look I'll look out for these issues. Man this forum is valuable.

Seen another very nice 850R estate, have a gawps:

96 850R estate manual 130k with new engine (http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/494391.htm)

Rufe
Friday 1st August 2008, 20:28
Thanks Rufe, always good to know. Are Volvo continuing to make the parts indefinitely or is there a point at which they'll stop?

well there is no information to suggest they will stop at any time soon. they will no doubt gradually phase out the slowest moving parts first, but the main things people will come to the dealer for will be available for a long time yet.

we still get parts for 140's and 240's when required, usually with little or no hassle. no reason to worry at all, i cant see them having problems with parts supply with these for a long time yet.

Filterlab
Friday 1st August 2008, 20:44
We still get parts for 140's and 240's when required, usually with little or no hassle. no reason to worry at all, i cant see them having problems with parts supply with these for a long time yet.

Crikey o blimey! Nice to hear the parts are still being made. I know that Mercedes still make parts for all their previous models regardless of age, given the build quality on the 80s and 90s Volvos there's no reason they shouldn't run and run into becoming classics. :)

pjay
Friday 1st August 2008, 20:44
she is lovely i am drooling because i want a T5-R but i only have an 850GT, but at least it is on LPG, oh boy less than 50p per litre, so very nice can't fault it boys...

Tomcat
Friday 1st August 2008, 20:48
Must say, it's a damn good time to be buying an R, they're cheap at the moment cos everyone's getting rid. I think Volvo's policy on spares is fantastic, having owned many old Fords I was always disgusted that after ten years you can't get the parts!.

jonno12
Friday 1st August 2008, 22:14
hope its a goodun let me know how you get on mate

Okete
Friday 1st August 2008, 22:31
Saloon looks very tidy for the miles Filterlab - got to love the reg too!

I would certainly enter into pukka dialogue with the seller if I were you - very clean engine for the age, only three owners - everything else seems to stack up.

If you want it - go for it - you have got notes in your hand, it's a buyer's market, it looks like a good deal.

However, before you buy anything, you need to decide whether you want a saloon or a station wagen - the two are very different!!

Cheers,
John.

cameron
Friday 1st August 2008, 22:41
Seen another very nice 850R estate, have a gawps:

96 850R estate manual 130k with new engine (http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/494391.htm)

Hi Filterlab, ive seen this one advertised for a good bit at least 3-4 months, maybe no one has been to see it or theres another reason why it hasnt sold yet, its a nice looking car, but id check it out very thouroughly.

Okete
Friday 1st August 2008, 22:45
Hi Filterlab, ive seen this one advertised for a good bit at least 3-4 months, maybe no one has been to see it or theres another reason why it hasnt sold yet, its a nice looking car, but id check it out very thouroughly.

Very Good Advice!!

Filterlab
Friday 1st August 2008, 22:57
It looks very nice indeed, although I'm wondering now why there was an oil supply problem at 130k which resulted in a brand new engine. Plus a new engine and new clutch and loads of other stuff then to ask only £2400 seems very cheap. Also he mentions that he's done a cambelt change whilst the car has been in his ownership. On a 12k engine?

Anyway, sent an email to him for a viewing, he's in London so local to me anyway. Seems quite cheap for an R but I'll have a damn good look. Luckily I'm not in a hurry to purchase. It's on a no reserve auction on ebay. (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140254049270&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004)

Filterlab
Friday 1st August 2008, 23:01
Saloon looks very tidy for the miles Filterlab - got to love the reg too! I would certainly enter into pukka dialogue with the seller if I were you - very clean engine for the age, only three owners - everything else seems to stack up.

Spoken to the chap and as Andy mentioned, there is an ABS fault. He says the light comes on occasionally and he doesn't know why. Not a major problem for me as I'm a very light braker. He also mentioned the steering rack is leaking. Confused me a little as surely he means the PAS pump. I asked if he meant the pump but he definitely said the rack.

However, before you buy anything, you need to decide whether you want a saloon or a station wagen - the two are very different!!

Cheers,
John.

In what way are they different? Obviously the handling will be different but is there more to it than that?

Okete
Friday 1st August 2008, 23:12
Evening Filterlab,

I don't have a deal of experience of saloons - I've always gone for estates . Initially because I needed to have the capacity but the last two times, just because I prefer the handling and the flexibility.
I would have imagined that you would have a distinct preference for one or the other but if not, 'good on ya'!
I imagine one would find the compact nature of the saloon more punchy and twitchy but cannot speak from reliable experience!

Good luck whatever you opt for!!

Cheers mate,
Jo9phn.

cameron
Friday 1st August 2008, 23:26
It looks very nice indeed, although I'm wondering now why there was an oil supply problem at 130k which resulted in a brand new engine. Plus a new engine and new clutch and loads of other stuff then to ask only £2400 seems very cheap. Also he mentions that he's done a cambelt change whilst the car has been in his ownership. On a 12k engine?

Luckily I'm not in a hurry to purchase. no reserve auction on ebay.[/u][/url]

I know its on a No Reserve auction, but you have to ask yourself WHY?

If the cars had all that money spent on it Why all the problems? Why dont the headlamp wipers line up properly? Why not spend a couple of £ and put a lid on the washer bottle? And again the biggest one of all Why is he willing to lose money on it? He would have had the initial outlay for the car, then the cost of all the other bits like the engine and clutch and whatever else he says its had done, and an abs fault and an oil leak and the rack leaks, id leave well alone. Surely there are better R's out there without all the problems for the same sort of money. Just my opinion. :-)

Filterlab
Friday 1st August 2008, 23:36
I value everyone's opinion as it'll help me get a wider perspective, it's tricky buying an unfamiliar car (i.e. not a forum car) and these cars, as most on here will attest to, can drink money in the way they drink fuel. Any advice is always warmly welcomed.

I do love both the cars I've linked on this thread, my girlfriend prefers the saloon one, I prefer the estate, but I'd be happy with either to be honest. Alan (the chap selling the saloon) was direct and honest with me stating the ABS problem and the rack leak and he invited me to view and test drive. The other chap has not come back to me yet so I can't draw comparison but the green saloon seems more 'honest' if that's the right word.

Anyway, these are just two options in a vast sea of Volvos. I'm going to see Del's C70 T5 GT on Sunday and even though it's an auto (I'd rather have a manual) it may be the right car at just the right price. Whatever happens it's a buyers market and I'm a cash buyer. ;)

Keep your opinions coming!

cameron
Friday 1st August 2008, 23:43
Hi Filterlab theres always this it looks very tidy, 12 mth tax inc + 12 mth mot, not far from you either?

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/VOLVO+C70/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-14-240-4294966724-4294966791/advert.action?R=200828314068858&distance=179&postcode=ol9+8hy&channel=CARS&make=VOLVO&model=C70&min_pr=&max_pr=3000&max_mileage=

AndysR
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 00:15
If the rack is leaking it will probably be from the n/s first as that is most common from what I have been lead to believe, mine did and it cost me a whole new rack!

Filterlab
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 00:23
Hi Filterlab theres always this it looks very tidy, 12 mth tax inc + 12 mth mot, not far from you either?

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/VOLVO+C70/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-14-240-4294966724-4294966791/advert.action?R=200828314068858&distance=179&postcode=ol9+8hy&channel=CARS&make=VOLVO&model=C70&min_pr=&max_pr=3000&max_mileage=

Nice car, but Taunton is 140 miles from me. I'll start locally first I think and then widen my radar if nothing presents itself. :)

Filterlab
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 00:23
If the rack is leaking it will probably be from the n/s first as that is most common from what I have been lead to believe, mine did and it cost me a whole new rack!

Thanks again! :)

V70R999
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 12:24
Steering racks can be expensive and a pain to change. ABS light is probably just the age old solering problem. You can either get them redone (wobbly used to do them but had obviously done a runner!). I bought a second hand one and salvo nodoubt has a few lying about ( 10% disc for VPCUK members)
I have seen this car for months also but that might not be a bad thing. Wiuth the faults and length of time you might get away with a silly cash offer.

freaky fingers
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 13:02
Seen another very nice 850R estate, have a gawps: 96 850R estate manual 130k with new engine (http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/494391.htm)

I can help you with this one chap.

It first went on P/H in early may and was up for £4,500 we talked figures and it didn't go through. Then following months saw the car go up and down in price from £4,500 to £2,300.

It's been on ebay twice before now, the first time it didn't meet reserve price only achieving £2,050 and more recently something was odd. It went on sale on ebay with no reserve (140244661207) and was won at £1,867 but now it's on P/H and ebay again so I checked the previous ebay listing and neither the seller or buyer have left feedback for each other, sounds peculiar.

I think the chaps name is Ibrahim and he lives around Stratford in London.

If you view and want it see what his figure is now lol

cameron
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 13:42
I can help you with this one chap.

It first went on P/H in early may and was up for £4,500 we talked figures and it didn't go through. Then following months saw the car go up and down in price from £4,500 to £2,300.

It's been on ebay twice before now, the first time it didn't meet reserve price only achieving £2,050 and more recently something was odd. It went on sale on ebay with no reserve (140244661207) and was won at £1,867 but now it's on P/H and ebay again so I checked the previous ebay listing and neither the seller or buyer have left feedback for each other, sounds peculiar.

I think the chaps name is Ibrahim and he lives around Stratford in London.

If you view and want it see what his figure is now lol

I knew i had seen this about for a good while! Seems very ominous to me all the sales / non sales, on ebay / off ebay, id steer well clear.

Filterlab
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 13:57
Yeah, looks good but there's something not right about it. He still hasn't replied to my two emails.

I'm veering towards a C70 GT now anyway, or a V70R if the funds allow. :)

cameron
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 14:19
Or a V70R if the funds allow. :)

This looks cheap, and tidy. Too far away?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-V70-R-AWD-AUTO-250-BHP-FULLY-LOADED-V-RARE-CAR_W0QQitemZ250275544493QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item2 50275544493&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

LesRED850R
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 14:25
Re; new engine after oil probs....I saw an 850R come into my mechanics shop and it looked like it had not been washed for a year never mind serviced....my man expected it to need a new motor or turbo or both . It had not had an oil change for at least 40.000 kilometres.....all sorts of bits get gummed up including the PCV system which we all should all be very aware of to replace and keep in top condition. In the end it was saved and they were amazed. These guys are fantastic service people and i am sure any other unscrupulous garage would have charged for new bits every-where...and i must say after seeing the state of the car i think a kick up the arse would be warranted

freaky fingers
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 14:34
Cam the ebay one is on P/H too

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/634800.htm

MIKESC70T5
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 18:44
Yeah, looks good but there's something not right about it. He still hasn't replied to my two emails.

I'm veering towards a C70 GT now anyway, or a V70R if the funds allow. :)

I had a t-5r manual estate until last xmas,was a lovely example and i spent a lot on it getting it up to my standards. Took it to France last year for our summer holiday and it didn't miss a beat.

Sold it and now drive a c70 t5. Completely different type of drive. I wouldn't go back to the 850 now, as it is no where near as comfortable or well built/put together imo.

Downside is, came back from our holidays today, and had to take our Honda along with a roof box lol, as no way would all our stuff fit in the c70.

The capacity of the 850 estate is all i miss. You need to decide what you will need the car for. My c70 is the second car and only usually gets used for my own fun.

ShadeTek
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 19:04
The original photo on the first post on this thread shows it has a grey coolant cap, questioning its servicing.

johntheace
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 19:14
have t agree with cameron mind.. very good points raised

wellsy
Sunday 3rd August 2008, 19:26

im very tempted to go and see this only up the road from me , ive told the wife that being a manual it will be better on fuel (lol)
does this model have the motor with the etm issues ??
cheers wellsy..

PNuT
Sunday 3rd August 2008, 19:33
im very tempted to go and see this only up the road from me , ive told the wife that being a manual it will be better on fuel (lol)
cheers wellsy..

s plate onwards are generally Me7 with ETM

Jod T5
Sunday 3rd August 2008, 19:37
cheers wellsy..
A T reg is between 01 March 1999 31 July 1999, which coincides with the ETM
My eyesite is not what it was but i think that example appears to be pre ETM but i would ask the vendor to confirm if the car is or not and also whether or not it has had its FREE trip back to volvo for a throttle clean and re-installation of software.....
Cheers
Jod

PNuT
Sunday 3rd August 2008, 19:45
A T reg is between 01 March 1999 31 July 1999, which coincides with the ETM
My eyesite is not what it was but i think that example appears to be pre ETM but i would ask the vendor to confirm if the car is or not and also whether or not it has had its FREE trip back to volvo for a throttle clean and re-installation of software.....
Cheers
Jod

it has the newer volvo badge on the grille.... i seem to recall this coincides with the introduction of ME7.... although the grill may have been changed

Jod T5
Sunday 3rd August 2008, 19:50
it has the newer volvo badge on the grille.... i seem to recall this coincides with the introduction of ME7.... although the grill may have been changed
Thats what i was looking for TBH, i could not be arsed to shop it, tho it did look black from one angle and blue on another......
AFAIC the blue badge is me7 and black pre....tho as you suggest there are exceptions to every rule
All the best
Jod

wellsy
Sunday 3rd August 2008, 19:53
thanks guys for the help, may well give them a ring in the morning .
sold my bike this morning so have a few quid burning a hole in pocket and i fancy a change .
cheers all wellsy.

Alzabout
Friday 8th August 2008, 20:36
The 850 T-5R (N 50DOF) is mine, just put it on Ebay, reserve is £2,000, only problems with the car as I understand someone has mentioned, is an intermitent fault with the ABS warning light coming on occassionally and a small leak to the power steering rack, it loses a small amount of power steering fluid. Oh and some rust to the bottom of the drivers door. If anyone is interested, wants to view or has any questions, please send me an e-mail or give me a call. Details are on ebay and pistonheads. Cheers Alan