PDA

View Full Version : Follow up - more help/advice needed

Pedro
Friday 1st August 2008, 11:09
Following on from the electrical problems encountered previously, I am still having problems. Car off road for five weeks now. Have replaced alternator and voltage regulator. Took it to Kwik Fit for new battery and they have said battery is fine, not a thing wrong with it. Alternator is only charging to 10.9 though. As said, alternator replaced and has only been on car four days, so loathed to think it is knackered already.

Is there anything else I can check? Car loses power to electrics gradually. Radio cuts out, warning lights come on, dash readouts fade, speedo goes to zero and then it coughs and dies. All over about a mile.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated, really starting to annoy me now.

Cheers

Pedro

itguy
Friday 1st August 2008, 13:39
Have you checked all the big fat earth straps everywhere for corroision etc?

MrMopp
Friday 1st August 2008, 21:49
Sounds like a dodgy alternator , if its almost new they will change it on warranty anyway :)

Its not unheard of by any stretch to have new or reconditioned alternators or starters be defective !

horbs
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 14:20
In my experience , although you had the battery tested , they can still be dodgy ie defective cell which can easily test out ok but still play up in normal use. May well be worth trying a new or borrowed battery. Hope this may help.

readview
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 14:35
Alternator should be putting out more like 14v,your reading of 10v sounds like a dead alternator to me.

Pedro
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 18:02
Cheers for the replies folks. Kwik Fit did say they expected between 13.summit and 14.summit from the alternator. Might do everything, earths, new alternator, new battery anyway and see what gives. If all else fails will need to get an Autospark to find the problem.

Thanks again for your help.

Pedro

v70torslanda
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 20:40
Sounds like the alternator aint doing anything.

Straight back to the supplier and swapsies, please!

J

Pedro
Saturday 9th August 2008, 10:28
Many thanks

Alternator was indeed goosed. Swapped and motor is now working. Cheers to all who replied.

Cheers

Pedro