PDA

View Full Version : auto gearbox oilm change

stainesy
Thursday 31st July 2008, 20:41
ok peeps am changing auto gearbox oil saturday.
what am i going to need?

15 litres of dexron 3
bit of clear rubber hose.
a few buckets to catch oil.

anything els i will need?

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 31st July 2008, 21:06
you need a spanner to open the box sump. Once all of the ATF has run out, and you've put the plug back in you need to flush change - putting in 1 litre or so (via the dipstick hole) and then running it out - I used the connection tube to the cooler to do this. Once the fluid runs clear - then you should fill using the yellow dipstick to the correct level.

freaky fingers
Thursday 31st July 2008, 21:10
Small bag of kitty litter to clear up any spilt oil.

Wobbs would he need a new copper ring gasket for the plug?

dooby
Friday 1st August 2008, 11:49
Hiya,

don't think the sealing washer is copper, thought it was aluminium. It's the same as the engine oil sump plug washer I believe.

Easiest to source from a dealer I've found.

Cheers, Pete

Filterlab
Friday 1st August 2008, 12:15
DON'T USE DEXRON 3! It's not suitable for your gearbox and if it has been used then it's likely to be causing the slippage. Contrary to popular belief Dex3 and Dex2 are not necessarily interchangeable. You should used either of the following two ATFs:

Castrol TQ-D (Dexron rated IID & IIE)

-or-

Amsoil synthetic transmission fluid.

stainesy
Friday 1st August 2008, 13:32
what? for god sake peeps what oil am i sposed to be using hear. can only use dex 3 now dont use dex 3. what do i use?

also witch pipe is the gearbox oil return pipe?

y2blade
Friday 1st August 2008, 14:06
what? for god sake peeps what oil am i sposed to be using hear. can only use dex 3 now dont use dex 3. what do i use?

also witch pipe is the gearbox oil return pipe?

my w/shop manual says DEXRON 11E type automatic transmission fluid

hope that helps mate

stainesy
Friday 1st August 2008, 15:36
there are 4 pipes coming out of my radiator that look like they are oil pipes.
2 on the left top and bottom and 2 on the right top and bottom. as you stand looking at the car from the front. witch one of these pipes is the one that goes to the gearbox that i have to take off to flush oil out of?
and how is it atached to the gearbox?

Yosser
Friday 1st August 2008, 15:53
This might help you;

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/Transflush.php

I flushed mine by removing the pipe which is at the right of radiator at the top - as you look at the car from the front (battery side).

This pipe is the feed to the cooler. Ideally you should use the pipe from the cooler, but it's far harder to get to.

Yosser
Friday 1st August 2008, 15:59
another write up here;

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/chat/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8767

stainesy
Friday 1st August 2008, 17:48
can i flush it by taking off the feed to the cooler and ataching the clear pipe to the cooler?
that would work wouldnt it?

Filterlab
Friday 1st August 2008, 17:53
Definitely use a fluid that's Dexron IIE compatible only. :)

Yosser
Friday 1st August 2008, 18:12
can i flush it by taking off the feed to the cooler and ataching the clear pipe to the cooler?
that would work wouldnt it?

If you mean the pipe at the top on the right, then no.

Attach the clear pipe to the flexible pipe, thats the direction of flow.

stainesy
Friday 1st August 2008, 19:59
If you mean the pipe at the top on the right, then no.

Attach the clear pipe to the flexible pipe, thats the direction of flow.

lol yeah thats what i ment. realised what i said after i put it.
but tha wont flush the cooler will it?

dooby
Friday 1st August 2008, 21:29
Hiya,

the cooler holds barely any fluid as I found out when I added an extra autobox oil cooler. I really wouldn't worry about it.

If you really want to drain it, disconnect the bottom hose and catch what comes out in a measuring jug so you can see how much to add back in afterwards.

HTH, Pete

stainesy
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 12:23
what size spanner do i need to remove the drain plug from the bottom of the auto gearbox?

siamblue
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 15:03
On my V70R it was a 22MM and it was FT had too use 2 spanners linked together to undo it,

Gary

stainesy
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 18:09
FT? does that mean foookin tight?
na think mine is 24

siamblue
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 20:59
Could,ve been 24, but it was tight lol,

Gary

y2blade
Sunday 3rd August 2008, 15:02
is it any better now stainesy???

jonno12
Sunday 3rd August 2008, 15:08
no its still the same he has started a new thread

stainesy
Sunday 3rd August 2008, 15:10
is it any better now stainesy???

nope no diferant

y2blade
Sunday 3rd August 2008, 15:41
nope no diferant

oh sh-t :( sorry to hear that mate :(

Neil
Saturday 9th August 2008, 10:30
nope no diferant

Just one thing that's occurred to me - and it's just organic thought, as opposed to anything I've read recommending it.

I'd guess we're all au fait with the concept of resetting the engine ECU should something be changed that the ECU monitors, so that it can re-learn, and sort out the correct running and idling trims.

OK, so with that in mind, and recognising that the autobox ECU builds up / samples information in terms of slippage and gear engagement over time (factoring in wear and tear into it's algorithms, and so affecting how it performs), and that given that should you do a full flush of the ATF, you've changed the characteristics of a very significant bit that makes the gearbox work.

Accepting that, then, is there mileage in resetting (ie removing and leaving it out of the car for a few hours) the autbox ECU?

I don't know for certain, whether it builds up any information and stores it (to do with wear rates, and gear engagement times) historically, or whether it does it all on the fly, but I would say it's little risk, and is of the same rationale as resetting the engine ECU.

John Dexter
Saturday 1st January 2011, 14:43
Good afternoon.
Having checked my handbook 4 speed autos can use either Volvo's synthetic oil or Dexron 3.
However, 5 speeds must only use Volvo's own oil. Is there any reason why another proprietary make cannot be used?

Neil
Saturday 1st January 2011, 16:24
Good afternoon.
Having checked my handbook 4 speed autos can use either Volvo's synthetic oil or Dexron 3.
However, 5 speeds must only use Volvo's own oil. Is there any reason why another proprietary make cannot be used?
5 speeds must use JWS 3309 spec ATF. I've read some accounts of people using ATF to this spec, that has caused problems, although not read of anyone who's used the Vauxhall JWS 3309 spec ATF who's had a problem with it.