PDA

View Full Version : wheel bearings

flying brick
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 18:15
sounds like one of my front bearings is done , says in workshop manual these are supposed to last the cars lifetime is this true, has anybody had to change theres?.........850 t5

dooby
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 18:31
I've changed one side, forget which. *I* don't believe they're a lifetime item...

Cheers, Pete

snoop69
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 18:56
Ive recently changed the nsf on my 99 V70 with 127k on the clock.

Perhaps you have to throw the car away when the bearings pack up :P

850 Skye
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 20:54
Hi did the front drivers side one you have to replace the whole hub, its just bolted on to the bottom of the strut, unlike most cars you cannot just press the bearing out and press a new one in.

Jod T5
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 20:58
The bearings are hub bearings not wheel bearings and cannot be purchased separately from the hub. They and are quite costly....a good £70 from PFS......
Cheers
jod

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 21:04
I've replaced many a wheel bearing on my T5's (not me personally thats what boys are for) so they definately dont come with a lifetime guarantee sadly

x

Rufe
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 21:17
take it from me, nothing on any car can ever be guaranteed not to fail in a cars life.

(by the way we have sold quite a number of the front hubs over the years, retail around £130 per side approx if i remember right)

Jod T5
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 21:36
(by the way we have sold quite a number of the front hubs over the years, retail around £130 per side approx if i remember right)This is true Simon, PFS are £70 http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_595_782&products_id=3491 tho i cannot guarantee thier quality against a Volvo part.....
Cheers
Jod

dant5
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 22:38
GSF website, £67.50 + vat not sure of the quality thou

dooby
Wednesday 30th July 2008, 00:24
Hiya,

I've had problems with some of the Scantech rubber parts from PartsForVolvos failing after surprisingly few miles on my car and replaced them with the more expensive genuine Volvo part.

However, the PartsForVolvos front hub (also Scantech) I bought in November 2006 has been on the car since then (about 22k miles with my mileage) and survived a track day. At a recent meet a Volvo technician gave it a clean bill of health and it sailed through its MOT this month. No problems with this part so far.

Cheers, Pete

cameron
Wednesday 30th July 2008, 13:02
Ive had to change both sides on my T5 S, 114000 miles, i think the previous owner was a bit of a boy racer and kept spinning the wheels, also had to upgrade the suspension also as this was shot, i got some off a 98 V70 T5 for £50, the wishbones were done last year but i think they were cheapo's as theres a rattling from the front when i go over pot holes so i think the rubbers have gone. Lifetime guarantees on car parts dont exist, how can a lifetime guarantee be put on anything? How long is a lifetime?

ShadeTek
Wednesday 30th July 2008, 16:33
I've replaced my front nearside hub twice. It will take you about an hour to two to do yourself. If I remember correctly, an 11mm socket will fit the torx bolts on tha back of the knuckle. You'll also need a 3/4" socket and a long breaker bar to get the hub nut offsky. Don't even try it with a 1/2 inch or it will end in tears.

Tiny 12
Wednesday 30th July 2008, 16:46
my off side was making a funy noise after a bit of a boot the otherday...so thats the gear box and hub f*cked.....nice one brains

I've replaced my front nearside hub twice. It will take you about an hour to two to do yourself. If I remember correctly, an 11mm socket will fit the torx bolts on tha back of the knuckle. You'll also need a 3/4" socket and a long breaker bar to get the hub nut offsky. Don't even try it with a 1/2 inch or it will end in tears.

you make it sound so easy, will consult my Haines maual this eve!! and hold you to that thanks for the tip with the 3/4 socket as i know i would of done that!!!

Loadsamiles
Thursday 31st July 2008, 11:31
Hiya,
However, the PartsForVolvos front hub (also Scantech) I bought in November 2006 has been on the car since then (about 22k miles with my mileage) and survived a track day.
Cheers, Pete

I should bloody well hope so.

Many Volvo wheel bearings survive 3 - 4 years of police persuits inclyding T-pac and ramming other vehicles.

Hardly high expectations for it to survive a track day........ Unless you went banger racing:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

dooby
Thursday 31st July 2008, 12:08
I guess I was impressed it lasted 20k miles - more than their strut mount upper did...

Point taken though, perhaps I should expect a bit more life out of it before giving it a clean bill of health :-)

Quick, some more miles and another track day!

Cheers, Pete

Rufe
Thursday 31st July 2008, 16:11
I should bloody well hope so.

Many Volvo wheel bearings survive 3 - 4 years of police persuits inclyding T-pac and ramming other vehicles.

Hardly high expectations for it to survive a track day........ Unless you went banger racing:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

yes, but they are not fitted with aftermarket parts, which i think was his point.

Loadsamiles
Thursday 31st July 2008, 18:38
yes, but they are not fitted with aftermarket parts, which i think was his point.

And which is my point too!

Braydon's gave me the option when I replaced a rear one... I went genuine for that reason.

However even a pattern part should last more than a track day or two...

Although judging from the wishbone issue... maybe 20K and a track day IS good:pants:

Jod T5
Thursday 31st July 2008, 18:57

I agree, Dooby was posting his satisfaction at the scan-tech part and the price compared with the cost of a genuine part....
However i do agree that generally i always opt for genuine parts although a lot of other parts volvo supply are closer in price to those of independant suppliers.....
Cheers
Jod