PDA

View Full Version : when changing tappets do i need to?

jonno12
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 12:31
change the cam belt it was done 20000 miles ago
im only going to change the one that it tapping as ive done all the other possibilitys like oil flushed out with forte flush and 2 oil changes and its still there more than ever now so i think its time i dont really have the funds to go mad with it at the mo so was wondering if i need to change the belt aswell or not (hopefully)

Jod T5
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 15:22
change the cam belt it was done 20000 miles ago
im only going to change the one that it tapping as ive done all the other possibilitys like oil flushed out with forte flush and 2 oil changes and its still there more than ever now so i think its time i dont really have the funds to go mad with it at the mo so was wondering if i need to change the belt aswell or not (hopefully)

Have you tried 1/2 (half) litre of atf and driven 10 miles or so before changing the oil....?
I would always replace the belt if it was disturbed, however that is a personal opinion and not the law......
cheers
Jod

jonno12
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 19:25
hi there jod what is atf?

Niles
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 19:32
automatic transmission fluid

jonno12
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 19:33
mines a manual ive used forte engine flush?

Jod T5
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 20:31
Tbh i have never used any Forte products other than the oil seal rejuvinator, which is the best thing for 850 rear main seals since sliced bread so i would have no reason to knock them....
However i know that ATF has a very good reputation on the Merc forums for curing tappet noise....., cant see the causes being any different despite the different vehicle....
Adding 1/2 (half) litre to the 6 odd you already have will not do the car any harm or your wallet any damage...
Considering the task of cam cover removal and making a tool to squarely replace the cam cover, the cost of the sealant (and roller lol), possability of having to replace the camshaft seals, the removal of the CPS and Dizzy to ensure the timing is correct, using another Volvo tool, i know what i would do...
Cheers
Jod

Alan M
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 20:34
If you are replacing the tappets its best to change a side at a time. I did the inlet side on mine first and the difference was amazing - dead quiet. I am going to do the exhaust side soon as they are making a very faint sound at idle and lower revs when under load. I used pattern parts the first time but I am now going to use genuine parts as they should be perfect. i am going to do all my valve stem seals and give the head a clean at the same time for good measure. On the cambelt - you don't need to change it if its fairly new but for all of what it costs its worth doing. A full set of tappets and belt from GSF will cost you around £230. From Volvo it will be more but it will also be better quality (usually).

nobananas
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 20:34

Think Jod means add a bit of ATF fluid to the engine oil. Be advised if you are going to change the tappet that the cam cover is actually the upper camshaft bearing cradle and the 10mm bolts that hold it down need to be released gradually and evenly. The cam pulleys are also not keyed to the camshafts so if you remove them (for instance if you decide to do the cam seals) you will need to set the cam timing with a special tool that inserts into the slots at the rear of the cams (although one can be made fairly easily). When replacing the cover use the correct sealant,Volvo sell it and it's quite expensive although you can buy the equivalent Loctite product but I forget which number it is !) don't be tempted to use silicone as you will block the fine oilways that feed the camshafts.

nobananas
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 20:35
Bugger I type slow ! two peeps got in before me !

Alan M
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 20:38
Bugger I type slow ! two peeps got in before me !

LOL:uglyhamme

jonno12
Wednesday 30th July 2008, 08:09
is there any particular atf that i need to put in or will anything do it