PDA

View Full Version : 2003 D5 losing gearbox oil

starion
Monday 28th July 2008, 18:53
Hi,

Can anyone help?????

I`ve had a sudden loss of gearbox oil (I think) which seems to be coming from somewhere round about where the n/s driveshaft goes into the box.

Is it a seal of some sort??

Is it a common problem?? Car has only done 55k!!

Any help most appreciated. Thanks.

les & reilly
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 02:53
is it definately gearbox oil? have you checked the level correctly with the engine running etc?
i ask because it may not be this, it may be leaking above this from the engine breather pipes, as they are a common thing to go, cracking and splitting open plastic tubes with the heat off the engine.
if it is that, it a possible diy fix.

also, if it is gearbox oil coming from the seal, that a possible diy fix too, take the driveshaft out and pop/pull the old one out with a lever, i use a screwdriver.

give yourself all day to do either job, ensuring you have all the pieces.

starion
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 10:09
is it definately gearbox oil? have you checked the level correctly with the engine running etc?
i ask because it may not be this, it may be leaking above this from the engine breather pipes, as they are a common thing to go, cracking and splitting open plastic tubes with the heat off the engine.
if it is that, it a possible diy fix.

also, if it is gearbox oil coming from the seal, that a possible diy fix too, take the driveshaft out and pop/pull the old one out with a lever, i use a screwdriver.

give yourself all day to do either job, ensuring you have all the pieces.

hi, looks like it`s coming from around the shaft area, and it also smells like gearbox oil. I`ll need to get it on a ramp to get a proper look.

Thanks for the help.

dave stew
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 10:23
If it's the O/S driveshaft, be very careful when you take it out as the inner joint will 'pop' if you are not careful and is a nightmare to put back together again. We did my wishbones and ran into this.

les & reilly
Thursday 31st July 2008, 02:11
look to see and feel for any leaks of fluid etc from up above the gearbox seal. ive never had a diesel, but on my t5 the engine breather pipe split (you couldnt see it due to the insulation wraped around the broken plastic pipe) it needs very close inspection to correctly diagnose problem.

also, just for anyone else who is changing the wishbones, i found that on my s70/850 i didnt need to remove the driveshaft, from the hub end, i disconnected the drop link, and found the wishbone can be changed without removing the driveshaft.