PDA

View Full Version : Knocking

mikouk
Sunday 27th July 2008, 15:37
hi. I have a knocking sound coming from the front left wheel. not all the time, just every now and again. sounds like I've gone over something metal and its got caught up in the wheel. No pattern to it. I can go over pot holes and nothing then go over something tiny and get a massive bang.

Any ideas?

Volvo Family
Monday 28th July 2008, 10:51
Top mount? When mine went it would occasionally emit a bang which you could feel through the body - and didn't always happen on the biggest bumps.

itguy
Monday 28th July 2008, 17:53
stones trapped round the bottom of the coil spring?

strut top mounts badly worn or the spring mounts cracked?

mikouk
Monday 28th July 2008, 18:14
Thanks guys. How would a novice like me check these things?

screwloose
Thursday 31st July 2008, 17:38
sounds like drop links to me :D

jonno12
Thursday 31st July 2008, 18:08
sounds like mine did it could be the track rod arm bushes gone i have posted about it on here some where ill find the link

jonno12
Thursday 31st July 2008, 18:09
heres the link
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16385

ged
Thursday 31st July 2008, 18:36
i've been troubled with knocking noises like you discribe for some time now.i've changed bottom arms,had new top mounts,drop links,and now even wheel bearing hubs.im still getting the odd knocking noise and having read some of the other threads before the site got wiped out i'm now thinking it could be the cv joints.i sometimes get it when turning as well but not all the time so i'll change the cv joints when i've got the cash.
so far i've spend
£150 on top mount replacement[volvo max]
drop links £25 each[?maybee]
bottom arms £90 each plus new ball joint nut and bolt
o/s wheel bearing hub £100 + bolts 4@£1 each

but hey....its a labour of love and i'll find the noisey £££££££ in the end.:blowingupmaybe....

jonno12
Thursday 31st July 2008, 18:55
ged on urs do you have the plstic rectangle that is fitted to the wishbone as i was told today that this could cause knocking where the wheel is hitting the wishbone but dont hold me to it

jonno12
Thursday 31st July 2008, 18:56
ged have you changed you track rod ends aswell?

ged
Thursday 31st July 2008, 21:36
jonno thanks for the heads up m8

i forgot to mention the track rod ends were done at the last mot
and i have got the plastic ends and they are greased up.i have put some of the turning knock grind down to them but after all my messing about changing everything i think i,ve now got it into my head its the cv joints.
i'm probably just too fussy but the noise wasnt there when i bought the car 18 months ago.