PDA

View Full Version : Bubbled alloys

C70Dan
Sunday 27th July 2008, 14:29
I've been looking into having my alloys refurbished but there is no way that the handbrake will let me spend "£200 pounds for some stupid wheels!". So, a mate of mine resprayed his own and made a really good job. ( he's a painter and decorator and is very skilled) I was wondering if anyone else had done their own and how they turned out. I don't know what colours you can get in the way of alloy paint, but I think they look well in a charcoal grey, but i'm a bit worried of spraying them darker and them turning out cat!

Any suggestions anyone?

cheers Dan

Wombatbomb
Sunday 27th July 2008, 17:17
One of the T5D5 guys has just done his, see http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?showtopic=3458

rs_andy
Sunday 27th July 2008, 18:02
Which wheels have you got dan? some look better a bit darker, others only really work in silver.

I know engineer repainted some tritons and they looked great, cant find the thread now though... massive patience required for those I expect.

Wouldn't want to repaint mine, cleaning is a job and a half lol.

C70Dan
Sunday 27th July 2008, 18:21
Which wheels have you got dan? some look better a bit darker, others only really work in silver.

I know engineer repainted some tritons and they looked great, cant find the thread now though... massive patience required for those I expect.

Wouldn't want to repaint mine, cleaning is a job and a half lol.

I don't know what they are called, they have got five spokes though

siamblue
Sunday 27th July 2008, 18:25
Just starting to prep my 18" Tritons, what a nightmare, getting into all the nooks and crannies, let alone getting rid of the bubbled paint on the edge of the rim,
Even masking out the 20 bolts on each rim is time consuming,
If you haven't got the time or patience pay someone to do them for you,

Gary

C70Dan
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 08:05
Just starting to prep my 18" Tritons, what a nightmare, getting into all the nooks and crannies, let alone getting rid of the bubbled paint on the edge of the rim,
Even masking out the 20 bolts on each rim is time consuming,
If you haven't got the time or patience pay someone to do them for you,

Gary

Seems like you've got a big job on! Mine should be a lot easier than yours. What kind of paint are you using?

siamblue
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 12:13
I am using first off self etching primer on the rim bare metal, then grey primer in the centre part of wheel followed by the Volvo 730 Silver (Original colour) then will laquer them,
I think they look quite good two tone lol, It would compliment my Gold paintwork :)
Gary.

jonno12
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 12:55
im doing my comets at the moment i have been using hygotts wheel silver out the spray tin and looks really nice added 3 coats of laq then hey presto done got one done at the mo ill try and sort out some pics when done as cam not workin

C70Dan
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 13:27
Thanks for everyones help. I'll get the paint all ready and then I'll get cracking when I'm off in two weeks, I'm looking forward to seeing the results