PDA

View Full Version : T4 stutter again

Midnightt4
Friday 25th July 2008, 22:09
You may remember I posted back before the forum went down about how my car stutters and loses performance at 4k all the time

well.
It still bloody does it even after changing the fuel pump, maf and changing the fpr.

Im getting fed up with this now.

And to top it off the engine managemnet light flashed twice tonight when it stuttered and then went out.

What the hell is up with this friken motor before i crush it.

Enigma666
Saturday 26th July 2008, 10:03
Potentially an ECU fault then midnight?
I hate to say it but damn you have replaced so many parts I can't think of anything else it could be.

Is it re-mapped?
If not then it might be time for Volvo to take a look i'm afraid.

Filterlab
Saturday 26th July 2008, 10:11
I'd agree, you seem to have replaced everything in the chain. Might be worth scouring ebay for an ECU, or swapping yours with someone's from here for a test. There were ECU faults with some of the T4s as Volvo will agree.

Just a thought though, have you changed your spark plugs? You might be suffering with spark blowout.

Slomo
Saturday 26th July 2008, 11:16
I have a simular problem with my T4, but it is very very intermittent. I think mine is ECU related though as everything else on the car is either new or has been replaced recently. Car drives superb though but when under hard acceleration it very occasionly coughs and plutters then seems to clear ish :p

J

Midnightt4
Saturday 26th July 2008, 12:40
It is std map wise.

Im going to the mapping place to get a data logger installed during the week to record what is actually happening at 4k when it stutters. then he will hook up another diagnostic to see what other readings he can see.

As for Volvo i wont be going back to those rip off merchants again after the toss up on my service.

I also took off the earthing point from battery to chassis and cleaned it up and buffed some paint away to get a good contact.

hopefully this datalogger will show me what the hell its doing as im seriously losing patience owning a volvo. Shoulda stayed with the nissan.

Midnightt4
Saturday 26th July 2008, 12:42
I have a simular problem with my T4, but it is very very intermittent. I think mine is ECU related though as everything else on the car is either new or has been replaced recently. Car drives superb though but when under hard acceleration it very occasionly coughs and plutters then seems to clear ish :p

J

With regards to this slomo. Mine will sometimes boost perfect then the next it will stutter.

Enigma666
Saturday 26th July 2008, 14:48
It may be a sign of a struggling turbo too (although very unlikely i have to admit).
Have you checked and cleaned the intake etc etc checked the air feed hose (the one that ballons under boost) for leaks etc

FatLadZ
Saturday 26th July 2008, 21:24
sounds like a broken coil
are they individual coils?

Midnightt4
Saturday 26th July 2008, 23:23
Ive cleaned the throttle body,icv valve its had 2 new ht leads and a new coil about 7 months ago.

May try coils but will see what the data logger says when its been checked when it monitors me driving.

As for a struggling turbo?. There is no smoke and builds boost well right up until 4k in every gear.

TBH the car still pulls like F**K up to 4k

Other than the ecu and coils i have no idea but suppose all i can do is wait till monday

gtiteen
Saturday 26th July 2008, 23:43
may be no help whatsoever here as im unsure if they run on coil packs, but if they do could this be an issue? Leads maybe?

Dave

just read your last post... seems your on the case lol

T5 Ben
Sunday 27th July 2008, 00:14
Could it be the BCS?,(i know mine was playing up on the t5)sometimes fine then stuttering as you say.

Ben.

jimathan
Sunday 27th July 2008, 00:51
Injectors maybe?
just a thought
jim

jimka
Sunday 27th July 2008, 12:20
i'll throw one into the works as well....

check the wastegate diaphram, and make sure no pipes are collapsing under pressure

FatLadZ
Sunday 27th July 2008, 12:23
also clean up your earths
if you dont have the correct voltage to the injectors and coils you will suffer

PNuT
Sunday 27th July 2008, 12:53
4k only or 4k & above?

Midnightt4
Sunday 27th July 2008, 13:16
4k to 5k

PNuT
Sunday 27th July 2008, 13:22
& then its fine after 5K?

jimka
Sunday 27th July 2008, 17:33
have you replaced the fuel filter? still sounds like a fueling issue to me.

Midnightt4
Sunday 27th July 2008, 21:17
well i tried taking it past 4k the other night and the stutter stopped once it got to 5k and kept going to redline smoothly.

Although engine management light flashed twice once i slowed back down then dissapeared.

Midnightt4
Sunday 27th July 2008, 21:42
Beginning to annoy the crap outta me

Slomo
Monday 28th July 2008, 08:31
I bet.

Where abouts are you based?

J

Midnightt4
Monday 28th July 2008, 09:12
Central Scotland.

Comtemplating taking the 500mile trip down to RT mechanics as most places up here are usless.

Midnightt4
Monday 28th July 2008, 13:05
well an update.

havent had the datalogger put on yet.

but found that if i take the car up past 4k on half throttle it does it no problem but as soon as i sink the foot it stutters.

So hoses may be the culprit but im buggered if i can see anything

Midnightt4
Monday 28th July 2008, 17:42
HAd the data logger on the car when it was stuttering and managed to get the engine management light to flash agin but the datalogger didnt record any faults.

Its as if the car is fine all readings lambda and oxygen are fine. Although on the upstream of the lambda it was reading and displaying a percent the downstream value only showed a voltage change and no percentage reading.

When reving the car i noticed that the little ring around the wastgate actuator arm actually moves and spins around the arm but doesnt pop out of the housing. Is this normal.

Here is a pic of the ring im talking about on the arm.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/nissanmansco/DSC00250.jpg

Midnightt4
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 11:45
Right Installed a bost gauge today.

Im running 12.5-13psi so no problems with overboost.

I even changed coilpack 4 to number 3 cyl and vice versa but no change.

I think the last step might have to be a remap.

Filterlab
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 12:08
When reving the car i noticed that the little ring around the wastgate actuator arm actually moves and spins around the arm but doesnt pop out of the housing. Is this normal?

Yep, the wastegate actuator arm won't move unless there is enough boost to trigger it, and if the vehicle is stationary there won't be enough accumulated boost as the engine is not under enough load.

You know, I've tuned and fiddled with turbocharged cars for 13 years, and I've never come across a problem that refuses to go away like yours mate. As you said, a remap might be the only way.

Midnightt4
Wednesday 30th July 2008, 23:32
on another note. The boost gauge still shows 13psi when it hits 4k and is stuttering.

Midnightt4
Friday 1st August 2008, 21:04
It just gets worse with this car.

The service light now comes on for 5 mins after every start then goes off.

The car also now only boosts at 6-7psi. Is this the sign of a knackered turbo or just a hose?

No smoke or anything through the exhaust.

I have reset the service light since i serviced it at the mot last week.

I thought I would try unplugging the Boost control solenoid to see if there was any difference but the car still boosts at 6psi so could this be the culprit afterall?

PNuT
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 04:49
to test the bcs you should by pass it but leave it plugged in....

does the T4 engine managment system have a safe mode?

what was the thinking behind swapping coilpacks 3 & 4 over? do you know which cylinder has the missfire?

Midnightt4
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 09:02
Not to sure about a missfire.

It sems to have a thud nd then goes sometimes when applying the throttle.

was really just to see if there was a fault.

Would safe mode not through on the management light.?

PNuT
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 10:44
it all seems a bit odd, 13 psi sounds high to me for a standard car? maybe its cutting fuel/spark for that reason....

Midnightt4
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 12:12
Std boost on a T4 is 12.8-13psi.

I had it at the volvo garage today to clear ther engine management code. Probably from me disconnecting the BCS last night to see.

Needless to say lass at counter didnt tell mechanic this was the reason for the engine managegment light so he searched for the stutter problem down that route for the fault and came up with nothing.

Its booked back in for tuesday to let him have it for the full day to search ther probelm out.

Midnightt4
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 13:17
It seems as tho its a coilpack issue.

Getting car back today hopefully.

jimka
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 15:13
just read through to clear up some point

- the boost pressure is fine
- if the coil packs don't solve it - try unplumping the bsc but leave it connected, slowly build the revs up through 1st and 2nd - the standard limit of 7, and 11 psi for these gears will be removed.

what sparkies have you got? and what do they look like... the ecu might be cutting fuel thinking it's pinging (knocking) as the spark isn't strong enough.

let us know how you get on...

Midnightt4
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 22:09
hey mate its fixed.

But what the hell do you mean the limit of 7 and 11psi as far as im aware it still boosts at 12-13psi on the gauge pulling in first and second.

Will double check tomorrow.