PDA

View Full Version : i have a volvo without remote central locking!?!?!?!?

boris
Friday 25th July 2008, 21:51
...ok so here is the story, i bought this can a t-reg phase 1 s40 1.9td few months back and when i got the key i was given one key on a keyring and that's it no phob no spare key, so i inquired and salesman told me he wasn't given it ...hmmm ok so i checked and made sure key fitted all locks and it did, so i assumed he actually lost it. i then called up Asgard Volvo and gave them my reg and asked if it had RCL capability and they said yeah just need to get the phob and get software...ok pretty simple but i wanted second opinion so i called up Stratstone and they also said i had capability and just needed phob, so i left if for couple weeks to get £200 (for a new key and phob). so it came to the day i ordered them from Stratstone in reading and i dropped my car in same day and said it would be done in half hour, 2 and half hours later i called and asked if it was ready and they said 'oh yeah its been done for a while, weren't you called' :insane: ......polity i said i would come over and pick it up and got round to paying for it and they said ' oh btw your car doesn't have the capability for RCL' ....errr ok so after trying for a while to get an explanation out of the 10 year old receptionist who CLEARLY should be working on the servicing/parts desk, this mechanic came out boasting he had worked on volvos for 20 years and told me it is a factory spec and unless requested it at time of manufacture wouldn't have got it (apparently its a grey box under steering column and it wasn't there nor was the wiring)

so my question to you all is
a) is there a possibility that on this year/reg/type of Volvo there cant be central locking ?

b)are there any recommended systems you guys suggest?

appologies btw for rant...i needed it, oh and lack of punctuation :)

jimka
Friday 25th July 2008, 22:23
I'm pretty sure it was a standard fit on all s40's... everyone i've had has had it, and thats quite a few!

if it hasn't (i'd be suprised) then the best kit i've used is the cobra remote centraling locking kit... costs about 50quid off ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290227914234

readview
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 14:42
Hi,it should have the early two button remote fob,identical in design to that used on the 400 series,the grey box is under the dash on the drivers side and even if it's missing the wiring should be there.If the wiring is present we can sell you a box with matched remote for £35 +shipping.Best thing to do is pm rufe on this forum,he works in the parts dept at a volvo dealership,if you give him the chassis no. +reg he should be able to tell you if the car had it fitted from new or not.
Hope this helps,Adam.

boris
Monday 4th August 2008, 07:26
thanks for the help guys :)

CONDYBOY
Monday 4th August 2008, 22:33
AFAIK all s40 had central locking! PM rufe he'll let you know.