PDA

View Full Version : Fuel/Outside Temp. probs

iyanc
Friday 25th July 2008, 21:09
Hi All,

Can anyone help me with the following:
My fuel gauge on my MY95 T5 doesn't always read correctly and the digital info doesn't tally with it either. i.e full tank showing 50lts digi reading 375miles!?!
Outside temp reads anywhere between -3*C (when i know it was at least 20) and 20*C (missus clio reading 25*C today).
Any suggestions most welcome.:frown:

badger1980
Sunday 27th July 2008, 01:16
Think this could be a problem of trial and error the fuel gauge sounds as if the float in the tank is sticking or the sender unit is packing up and the temp display could be the the sensor either dirty or the wire is braking down i know the temp sensor is variable between +1 and -1 degree of the actual outside temp and can be affected by the heat of the engine.Hope this helps

iyanc
Sunday 27th July 2008, 22:46
Thanks for that. I'll have a look when I get back from hols.:smile:

Jod T5
Sunday 3rd August 2008, 14:37
Hi All,

Can anyone help me with the following:
My fuel gauge on my MY95 T5 doesn't always read correctly and the digital info doesn't tally with it either. i.e full tank showing 50lts digi reading 375miles!?!
Outside temp reads anywhere between -3*C (when i know it was at least 20) and 20*C (missus clio reading 25*C today).
Any suggestions most welcome.:frown:

Im not sure what you think is wrong with the fuel reading, a full tank is 70 litres btw , this being 15.5 ish gallons... If you car trip is calculating current mpg @ 24 ish then this would be about right....
The outside sensor is located behind the front bumper and may well need replacing or the wiring looked at...
Cheers
Jod

SAMXPJ
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 00:33
I can change my computers miles remaining from say 300 to 260 in a 10 min thrashing and then bring it back to 280 with a nice sedate cruise I think they are only useful if running out of fuel in a remote area.

Alan M
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 08:46
If the fuel trip computer seems to be working it could be something simple that is the problem. Have you checked all the connections around the fuel pump in the back of the car? It may be worth disconnecting them and putting some connector grease in them. Do it while the car is not started though. This may help with the low fuel tan reading. The temp sensor may have the same problem or it might need to be changed. You can see the temp sensor through the front bumper at the lower right side, it is suspended by a bracket where it fits through.